5 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

First book of his I read was Ancient Shores. It's a standalone story so you don't have to worry about it being in a series. Same with Infinity Beach. These will give you a flavor of his style. His stories are low key without lots of blood and chickening, but I enjoy the hell out of them.

Right up my alley. I’ll try and lay my hands on one or the other.

Thanks, JD!

A sci-fi movie called "Prospect" may be coming to theatres.
Previously it was released on some festivals or something.
I'm emitting a "HNNNGH" of expectation.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:22 AM, Mark250 said:

Any body see the new Dr Who episode?

Ugh...missed the start of the new series.  Neverfear, apparently BBC America is running a binge in the States Sunday 11/11 starting at 0800 EST.  DVR ready.

16 hours ago, MarkintheDark said:

Ugh...missed the start of the new series.  Neverfear, apparently BBC America is running a binge in the States Sunday 11/11 starting at 0800 EST.  DVR ready.

Hope you like it, although I didn't much like the most recent episode (Tsuranga Conundrum). Let me know what you think.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:49 AM, Mark250 said:

Hope you like it, although I didn't much like the most recent episode (Tsuranga Conundrum). Let me know what you think.

I finally binged the first episodes of the new Dr. Who last night.  It has the potential to impress me, but I'm not there yet.  So I'm jus' gonna ramble....

Most importantly I wish Jodie Whittaker had more of Matt Smith's quirkiness.  But I'm willing to let her develop that.  (Eventually, for example, I even started to warm to Peter Capaldi, probably b/c he was such an obnoxious, old Scotsman)

tbh, too, I was expecting something at least as good as the intricate Hanshaw clock gears opening from last season.  Yeah, I was disappointed.  It felt too generic.  Some of it feels like a rehash...Yaz is a policewoman like Pond, Graham is "Dad" (or Grandad), etc.  I do see potential for Grace, his wife, to pop in unexpectedly from time to time.

That being said, I was particularly impressed with both the Rosa Parks episode (whoever that actress was) and the Demons of Punjab episode.  Both were poignant and highly emotional.   I like the depth of her companions' characters better than her...not to mention I can relate to Ryan's fear of heights.

I'm so far out of the Dr. Who Universe. I need to jump back in.

I've been binge watching old episodes of Lexx. Weird and wonderful--and rather naughty. I'd never even heard of it before until a coworker of my daughter told me about it.

In the course of channel surfing, ran across an interesting new series on SyFy called "Nightflyers," based on the George R.R. Martin novel.  Anyone else watching it?

In short, a mission to intercept what is believed to be an alien vessel in our system.  Nicely developing characters with good depth, including a captain who prefers to only interact holographically...and a ship that may in fact have mind of its own.

Edited by MarkintheDark