Guess the Water Cooler's the best place for this...and I fully expect/hope the thread may weave all over the place.  For this installment:

Was reading about NASA's controlled plunge of the Cassini probe into Saturn.  On its way down, it recorded plasma waves NASA converted into audio files.  Now, I just KNEW I'd heard those sounds SOMEWHERE before.  62 years after it's debut, turns out that "Forbidden Planet" actually got the sounds right.  To be specific, couple Bebe and Louis Barron who created the sounds (http://soundworkscollection.com/news/creating-the-music-and-sound-effects-of-forbidden-planet).  Don't take my word for it, compare 'em yourself:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cassini-plasma-sounds-saturn_us_5b456bd8e4b048036ea39dfd

https://www.soundboard.com/sb/Forbidden_Planet_sounds

Posted (edited)

@MarkintheDark Whoa! Hahahaha. That's cool.

I'm a sci-fi geek too. I've got a huge collection of sci-fi books, as well as TV shows and movies on DVD.

Ever watch Mystery Science Theater 3000? Those guys take old sci fi B movies and rip on them as they watch them. It's the most entertaining thing I've ever witnessed.

Edited by JD4010

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JD4010 said:

@MarkintheDark Whoa! Hahahaha. That's cool.

I'm a sci-fi geek too. I've got a huge collection of sci-fi books, as well as TV shows and movies on DVD.

Ever watch Mystery Science Theater 3000? Those guys take old sci fi B movies and rip on them as they watch them. It's the most entertaining thing I've ever witnessed.

I so miss MST3K.  An absolute masterpiece.  Even today I still keep things like "Queen of Outer Space" (and probably over a dozen others) on the DVR.  I'd prefer to have the MST3K versions.

What's amazing to me is how sets and even people were recycled from film to film.  An indication of how far gone I am:  one of the queen's particularly unattractive guards (already had no chin) ended up as a nurse in "The Angry Red Planet."  The list goes on and on.

Turns out, too, that the drama behind the scenes - producer shoots agent in groin - even rivaled that of Ed Wood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Outer_Space

Edited by MarkintheDark

5 minutes ago, velvetpuddles said:

I've just recently rewatched Battlestar Galactica

That BSG reboot was particularly well done, I thought, particularly having a female Starbuck to put the story line on its head.  I'll just keep my mouth shut about the Jamie-Bamber-in-a-towel scene.  Guess it's now been about 15 years.  Time for another reboot. 😁

5 minutes ago, MarkintheDark said:

That BSG reboot was particularly well done, I thought, particularly having a female Starbuck to put the story line on its head.  I'll just keep my mouth shut about the Jamie-Bamber-in-a-towel scene.  Guess it's now been about 15 years.  Time for another reboot. 😁

Hahaha, yes, the reboot! I never saw the original. Not sure I could now after seeing the new one so many times. I fell in love with the song All Along the Watchtower from that show - I feel like a cylon whenever I hear it. 🙃

I'd be intrigued by another reboot, I think. Maybe. Lol. Don't know how it could be any more perfect, hahaha.

2 hours ago, MarkintheDark said:

Yes! I bought that series on DVD as well. Fantastic. Edward James Olmos is one of my favorite actors anyway.

Ever see "Fringe"? It's kind of like "X-Files", only much better story lines and production. This is another series I have on DVD.

1 hour ago, MarkintheDark said:

Count your blessings.  70s camp.  It was so bad, I hate to admit I'm part of the generation that watched it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdEZnjTdpe8

I like how they brought back what's-his-name from the original series, only he shows up as a "bad" guy. Hahaha.

By the way, the original MST3K series is available on DVD. I've got most of them. You can also find some episodes on Youtube.

The MST3K reboot last year was pretty good too...it stuck close to the original. I think Joel Hodgson was involved with the new episodes, though the host is a younger guy. I have the first season of the reboot on DVD too. :)

I'm trying to rekindle my interest in Dr. Who. I loved it when I was a stoner back in college, circa 1977-81. I didn't realize the series goes all the way back to 1963. I picked up the first season on DVD over the past weekend.

38 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

I'm trying to rekindle my interest in Dr. Who

If you have access to BBC America, they often run the whole gamut of 21st century doctors of whom I've lost count, and occasional retrospective of the early ones.  (I was a tech at a TV station in the 70s-80s that ran it).  The Daleks are pretty prominent.  Took a while for me to become addicted...but it happened.  Side benefit is that I can carry on a conversation with the several UK buds I have.  Seems Dr. Who is second nature to them, inside jokes and all ("It's bigger on the INSIDE!"). 😂

3 hours ago, MarkintheDark said:

Count your blessings.  70s camp.  It was so bad, I hate to admit I'm part of the generation that watched it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdEZnjTdpe8

Haha, that's pretty much what I expected. I can't really get into the campy style - just not my thing at all!

I think I've watched a few episodes of some Dr Who at some point but had a hard time getting into it. I feel like it should be something I'd like, though.

I feel like Dr Who and Star Trek both have such huge libraries of material - it feels impossible and overwhelming to jump into either of them. Maybe I'll give it another chance, I do need a new show to watch.

1 hour ago, velvetpuddles said:

I feel like Dr Who and Star Trek both have such huge libraries of material - it feels impossible and overwhelming to jump into either of them.

Except that we're all on DF, I'd never have expected the li'l nugget of awareness you just handed me.  In fact, it's been during my worst bouts the past few years that I got into binging on Dr. Who.  I'm almost fluent in Clara Oswald, Amy Pond, Danny Pink, River Song, etc.  Heaven help me...bahahaha

So I found Dr Who on Amazon prime this afternoon and watched the first two episodes again, and it just couldn't hook me! Are there other seasons that I could start at that might be more engaging? I mean, I enjoyed what I was watching, but I felt no compulsion to keep going. Could also be my inability to focus on anything today.

Side note, I did find the original BSG available on ABC or NBC or one of those networks. 😂

I just watched Alien and Aliens instead. (I saw the words "game over" somewhere this morning and it brought up the memory of Bill Paxton's "Game over, man!!!" Had to watch... couldn't get that out of my mind!)

Posted (edited)

I hated Star Trek Enterprise when it first aired...the theme song drove me away first off...but now I'm hooked on it. A bit grittier than other Star Trek series. And I'm in love with the Vulcan officer (can't remember her name for some reason). 😀

I just skip the theme song and I'm good.

I'm also enjoying Babylon 5 and Farscape.

Edited by JD4010

Posted (edited)

Y'know, she has such an incredible look, I've always been disappointed that she, to my knowledge, hasn't landed a regular series since then or at least a substantial movie role.  Although Starship Troopers kept her on the screen, I think it was beneath her talents.  My impression has always been she has more depth.

I think Enterprise was a Rick Berman desperation move.  He'd pumped out so much material, a great deal of which I'd characterize as reheated leftovers, that he'd simply drained the franchise.  Despite that, yeah, I always loved Voyager.  The new Star Trek (Pine, Quinto) was a much-needed refresh, imo.  Besides, do the kids really wanna see more old people scooting around the galaxy?  Really?

(About that "Faith of the Heart" theme.  Just totally friggin' wrong for any ST series, imo.  However, speaking as someone who was an editor for the longest time, it was a masterpiece of visuals and timing.  Having also engineered music, too, it was very nicely done...even if kinda, idk, generic).

Edited by MarkintheDark

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, velvetpuddles said:

So I found Dr Who on Amazon prime this afternoon and watched the first two episodes again, and it just couldn't hook me! Are there other seasons that I could start at that might be more engaging? I mean, I enjoyed what I was watching, but I felt no compulsion to keep going. Could also be my inability to focus on anything today.

Side note, I did find the original BSG available on ABC or NBC or one of those networks. 😂

I just watched Alien and Aliens instead. (I saw the words "game over" somewhere this morning and it brought up the memory of Bill Paxton's "Game over, man!!!" Had to watch... couldn't get that out of my mind!)

I stumbled onto what they call the New Series (2005) by accident (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_episodes_(2005–present)

For me it's been a matter of which Doctors I like. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_who_have_played_the_Doctor   David Tennant or Matt Smith I'd suggest as decent starting points.  What also has intrigued me is the support characters/companions, Donna and Amy.  These two in particular (and their families) develop very funny, endearing stories that feed my addiction perfectly.

Sidenote:  Oh yeah, I keep the Alien and AVP on the DVR.  Their definitely my staples.  Paxton is hysterical!  Ever meet someone you jus' wanna slap? 😄

idk how BSG TOS might affect you.  Either you'll laff or be plunged further into a depression. 😉 Personally, I can't take more than a few minutes of the hair, glitter, etc.

Edited by MarkintheDark

@MarkintheDark Yes, I was starting in 2005. Maybe I'll try a different doctor and give it another shot.

I love Bill Paxton in Aliens! He's my favorite part of the movie. And I honestly didn't realize until last night that what's his face in Aliens is also Kyle Reese in Terminator!!

Glitter? Really?? Haha, I may just try it for the comedic factor alone. Otherwise, no real intention of watching it.

I'm just starting on Stargate. I've seen a lot of fandom for it, and it kicks off with a movie, so I thought it would help ease me into the story. Either of you two (or anyone else!!!) ever watch Stargate??

I'm so happy to have other sci-fi geeks to chat with!