Non depression people here ?

mmd

Any here with not depression ? Who just use the forum to spend time ? I thought depression forums would be different, i see this kind of forums too dark and negative, too many complains, when i thought about start looking forums for depression i thought that i would find something good, to conect with other people, like i always imagined, more to read about other people, i find too many people with complains in forums, making question, ive dealt with stress, but not with questions, its understandable those kind of people, but its pretty annoying, another who find this annoying ? 

It's what depression does. 😧

First things first, I have depression so I don't fit the non-depression person bill.

But I wouldn't mind to talk about stuff other than depression, however I'm so short on words because I just don't have anything to say.
The chat room isn't working for me, otherwise I'd be there very frequently.

It took like 10 minutes of thinking to write what I've written now. Phew.

Crazy. A depression forum is too negative. Imagine that. Sorry we inconvenienced your mindless chatter with our problems. Perhaps you’d be better off finding a hobby forum to chat it up on. 

I hope I am just being an a****** and this doesn’t make anyone else here feel just as inconveniencing as we do to the rest of the world. It isn’t easy to be vulnerable and this is the best outlet I have found to come clean about my emotions. I am unapologetic that it may be negative. 

This post, to me, is a prime example of the issue of mental illness in society today. People are told what they’re feeling, sharing, saying is too negative, sad, annoying, etc. If you don’t like it, than why seek it out purposesly on a DEPRESSION FORUM? We shouldn’t have to be shamed for what we feel or share. Especially on a website where we can do so freely with anonymity.

4 hours ago, mmd said:

Any here with not depression ? Who just use the forum to spend time ? I thought depression forums would be different, i see this kind of forums too dark and negative, too many complains, when i thought about start looking forums for depression i thought that i would find something good, to conect with other people, like i always imagined, more to read about other people, i find too many people with complains in forums, making question, ive dealt with stress, but not with questions, its understandable those kind of people, but its pretty annoying, another who find this annoying ? 

Im so confused by some of your statement you made here. Are you saying you find it annoying that people are talking about their mental illness on a mental illness website ?? Im  confused why you are confused that you went on a depression forum website while admitting to not being depressed and then being surprised that so many people ARE depressed and are sharing their daily struggles here. It sounds like you dont battle with a lot of what people do here on the website so they sound like "Complaints" to you but of course a lot of these posts are going to seem "Negative" when a lot of people are struggling and in a dark place and they have no support system so they turn to the website for support. Idk why you were expecting something different but mental illness is a scary thing and it sounds like you were more looking for a social lighthearted website and i dont think this is the place for you. Im sure there are plenty of other websites that dont cover dark topics and deal with mental illness and its just more about light hearted social stuff that would suit you better.  

I've a few miles on the depression road, so I'd like to address a couple things.

Most importantly, it's crucial we treat each other on DF with respect, whether or not we're saddled with depression.  While I understand some might find a post triggering, a better option is to report a post (upper RH corner of each post's window) to one of the mods instead of responding in anger.

To answer the OP, yes, there are people here without depression, usually their loved ones who are seeking answers on how to help, gain insight into their loved one's point of view, or how to deal with their own reaction to the depression.

Indeed, the reason most come here is to talk freely about the feelings we're experiencing.  Some of those emotions, yeah, are pretty dark.  People are here to connect SAFELY in a supportive, validating environment with those who've experienced similar struggles.  If it's not your cup of tea, you should probably listen to that and act accordingly.

I think, too, as you explore DF,  you'll find that not all is doom-and-gloom.  There are plenty of encouraging posts by people who share their experience reining in the beastie.  In some cases, there's a good bit of humor to it, too, that helps make us a warm community.  You'll also find distractions many of us have found useful such as The DF Water Cooler.

Hope this helps answer a few questions.

Edited by MarkintheDark

1 hour ago, June322 said:

Im so confused by some of your statement you made here. Are you saying you find it annoying that people are talking about their mental illness on a mental illness website ?? Im  confused why you are confused that you went on a depression forum website while admitting to not being depressed and then being surprised that so many people ARE depressed and are sharing their daily struggles here. It sounds like you dont battle with a lot of what people do here on the website so they sound like "Complaints" to you but of course a lot of these posts are going to seem "Negative" when a lot of people are struggling and in a dark place and they have no support system so they turn to the website for support. Idk why you were expecting something different but mental illness is a scary thing and it sounds like you were more looking for a social lighthearted website and i dont think this is the place for you. Im sure there are plenty of other websites that dont cover dark topics and deal with mental illness and its just more about light hearted social stuff that would suit you better.  

wow this is the perfect response.  Not mean, tactful and informative. 

The people on here sharing their experiences often do so to vent and/or seek support.  Trust me I have yet to meet someone with depression who wants to be "negative" because in our daily lives away from this website we struggle so hard to not let the rest of the world know how bad we feel inside because we don't want to "bring others down" thus feeling guilty and somehow even worse about ourselves.  On here we can take off that mask and be ourselves and not worry about how our depression or challenges are making others feel.  We can do that because so many people on here have been in the exact place we are: struggling.

Edited by jsop4

Well said my friend and it really feels so good to be able to be free just to Vent .  There are very few places one ☝️ can go to be themselves and not have to worry about what others are thinking 🤔 of you.  This forum is a heaven sent so that so many of us can pull off our Masks 🎭 that some of us have to wear on a daily basis.

Everyone deals with depression different there is no right and wrong way to deal with depression.  For some of us we talk about the darkness it causes us and for others we talk about the light 💡 that we get from it to know that we are not alone in this world 🌎 and there’s a Higher Bean that gives us strength to overcome our darkest days and nights.  So, please don’t try to judge one ☝️ another because we get enough of that every day in the real world 🌎.  This forum helps a lot of us to be able to get away 🏃 for a moment from every day realities of a Doggy 🐕 world 🌎.

Thank you for all the kind responses to what is a basically rude and potentially 'baiting' thread post.

DF is a forum for those who struggle with depression and mental illness - if you are here just to 'hang  out', mmd, then you need to find a new way to spend your time, TBH.  Most people here are struggling with very deep and painful issues, and your alleged 'annoyance' is shallow and self absorbed at  best, cruel at worst. 

Many users find healing and encouragement in being able to talk about their struggles here, and even more than that, also find healing in the encouraging and empathetic responses they get from others.  Most of us only receive coldness and incomprehension when we venture to share our struggle, so being able to come here and encounter warmth and acceptance and encouragement is very significant. 

On another note, DF is not a place for you to find 'meetups', mmd.  There are many other sites that have the express purpose of facilitating meet ups.  DF is not one of them. If members would like to meet up in real life, that is between them, and best arranged via PMs, not out on the boards.

7 hours ago, mmd said:

5 hours ago, mmd said:

If theres another who find this the same as me, give me a reply.