Donate Now Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Todd5

Should I increase my Remeron dose ?

I have suffered with life long chronic fatigue. Doctors cannot find a cause. Have tried many drugs over 20 years. Doctors ultimately say anxiety and depression; all SSris make me worse. But taking 7.5 mg of remeron for last six months since it was the only thing I can tolerate. However, I think it may be making me worse. Wondering if I should try titrating up or start phasing it down to see if symptoms improve. Reviews I have read are all over the place on this drug.

7.5 mg puts most people to sleep. If you can tolerate it you should go up to 30 or 45mg if not higher, that's when the sedating effects disappear. Your doctors may be right about the chronic fatigue, it can really create a vicious circle where your CF makes you more depressed and prevents you from working on your mental health and then your depression makes you even more tired. 

One thing you may want to look into is sleep apnea though, that's not something that blood tests will show and many people don't even know they have it unless they have a partner who tells them about it. For years I snored like a freight train and didn't know about it until I stayed at a friend's place for a while and he told me that he could hear me on the floor above in the OTHER corner of the house, it was THAT bad. 

Thanks for the response. We have looked at sleep apnea, and I don’t think that is it. Wife says I hardly ever snore, and the sheets are not disturbed the next morning. I know my sleep isn’t great but I don’t think that is the cause. 7.5 remeron does increase sleep but when I briefly tried 15 mg for a few days I felt more groggy yet more anxious so went back down to 7.5.  However, the fatigue and anxiety aren’t really getting better I just don’t know what else to try and I’m scared to go back to the SSRI merry go round that sent me spiraling before. Diet and exercise alone don’t appear to be enough.

Have you tried Wellbutrin yet? Many people report increased energy. Could be something to ask your doctor about. It does increase anxiety in some though so I'd ask to be given an anxiolytic in the beginning. There are some non-benzo ones such as BuSpar and Vistaril that they shouldn't hesitate to prescribe.