Forget it! Just no!

Summer896

I realize I'm talking to myself here, but...

My panic on Prozac has only increased. I'm three weeks in. I've been waking up every morning in terror with my heart pounding. Things I have to deal with that seem like huge things.

It has been getting worse but then last night I had a full-blown panic attack the caliber of which, in 50 years, I have never experienced.

I was literally crawling on the floor in terror and I terrified my husband who wanted to call an ambulance.

My doctor told me to come in this morning and kept me waiting an hour and a half. I have to pick up a prescription for Xanax just to tide me over for a few days while the Prozac starts getting a bit lower in my system. I am STILL having the panic attack and it's been waxing and waning for more than 10 hours. I can't believe I drove like that. God must be watching over me. And other drivers around me.

I am so terrified. I am afraid it will never stop. I get the Xanax after my kids get home from school because the doctor kept me waiting so long (90 minutes) that now, my son's bus is due home. I am trying to pull myself together so I don't look like a crazy loon and terrify him.

We are supposed to go on vacation next week. I can't take that away from the kids. I don't want to go but I am terrified to be alone too.

No more. The doctor told me to start taking GABA and l-something...can't remember...I mean I even got this stuff on the way home but I can't remember. But no more antidepressants, oh God, I can't take that.

Hello. I too am having problems with increased anxiety and panic after only 4 days on Prozac.   I stopped days ago.  I wake up in terror in the night and I am fretting over stupid stuff.  Mostly because I got a hair cut I don't like, complete panic over it.  So I understand where you are coming from.    I also think I made the dumb mistake of starting Prozac too soon after cbd oil and am having reaction with both in my system. 

I hope you start to feel better soon.  keep us posted. 

Hello Summer896! Sorry you are having such a hard & scary time. My heart goes out to you. Medication can be so frustrating. I have had to go off some because they made my depression/anxiety worse. They can be such a pain. Thanks for sharing. Hope things get better soon. Will say a prayer for you. 

Thanks to you both.

The Xanax didn't work.

I am at a loss. Will this go away??? I have only missed one dose so far.

ETA - so as not to hog the board and keep bumping my own posts. It seems to be going down a tiny bit. I'm able to work. Not very well but I'm working. Thank you, God.

This has been unbearable. I literally wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I really didn't know I COULD feel this bad. And I've given birth. I'm not exaggerating...just...so awful.

Not trying to scare anyone off Prozac. I took it several times and it was wonderful. I have NO idea what crazy shyte happened this time, to make it so different. Until this time I'd have sworn by it.

Still not hungry. I've had about 300 calories today. Can't even think of shoving more in but I'd better. I have to care for two kids, I can't go without food for days.

Edited by Summer896

Update: was able to eat 1100 calories today by adding high fat, small volume foods. Feeling a bit better now. Taking GABA and l-theonine. And 0.25 my Xanax daily but only have 15 pills and am supposed to possibly not need it after a week or so.

12 hours ago, Asta said:

I stopped taking Prozac right away because it made my panic so bad. (with the help of my psychiatrist) Prozac gives people more energy but more energy usually makes panic worse.   

You should make sure to ask your psychiatrist before taking GABA and I-threonine with antidepressants or any supplement like that.

Hi! It was my doctor who direct we me to take these two supplements. I hadn't heard of them. I have stopped the Prozac also per my doctor. 

Edited by Summer896

• 6 months later...

Honestly, Prozac increases whatever mood I'm feeling to an even more extreme level than normal, I feel energetic but unfocused and I would feel anxious if not for the fact I took one of my 'emergency' 2 mg Klonopin for anxiety because I have a presentation today. As my mood has been the past two weeks with it I know if it wasn't for the Klono, I would be out the door trying to walk home in my panic or on the floor feeling like I was crying but having no tears as the SSRIs have taken them away. I hope you find something that works for you.

I can't believe your doctor told you to take GABA orally. GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier when taken orally... Basically put, it won't do anything. L-theanine, however, there's something to that, but it's only going to have very minimal effects on your anxiety. If you're going to take natural stuff, might I suggest lemon balm, valerian root, and ashwagandha. 🙂 

Your doctor is short-supplying you with Xanax. You clearly need more pills, and you clearly need a dose increase. It never hurts to ask for more. You won't look like a drug shopper, you are looking out for your well-being, and if you do get accused of drug-seeking behavior, tell them "I am my own best advocate for my own healthcare," or something to that effect, because you are. It's your brain, your body, and you know it better than your doctor. 0.25 mg Xanax for your level of anxiety is clearly not cutting it.

As for the Prozac, you clearly need a switch in medicine. While Prozac is a good medicine and works well for some, it's not good for everyone. It can also turn bad on some people and turn around on them. My mom took it for years and suddenly it just turned on her and started making her feel terrible.

• Zoloft is a potent SSRI and is good for anxiety, but tends to be pretty stimulating, kinda like Prozac, so you might not want to go that route because it may actually exacerbate your anxiety.
  • Paxil tends to be very calming, which might suite your needs, but should you ever wish to discontinue it, it has a nasty withdrawal syndrome similar to Effexor.
  • Celexa is a moderately potent SSRI. It doesn't really get more potent after 20 mg, so 40 mg isn't really much different than 20 mg. (It doesn't occupy much more of the serotonin transporters than 20 mg does.)
  • Lexapro, a relative of Celexa, is a very pure SSRI (meaning it doesn't have any other pharmacodynamic activity OTHER than JUST reuptake inhibition of serotonin). It's very potent (not as potent as Paxil and Zoloft but potent nonetheless), and is a good, all-purpose SSRI.
  • Luvox is actually just indicated for OCD, and Luvox CR is indicated for social anxiety disorder, but it can be used off-label of depression and anxiety. It has a certain pharmacodynamic property that they believe makes it particularly good for anxiety disorders.

There are also the SNRIs, which as a class, in general, will tend to be more stimulating...

• Effexor XR, which in low doses act as just an SSRI (37.5-75 mg), then begins acting as an SNRI at 150 mg, then actually becomes a triple reuptake inhibitor, acting on dopamine, albeit weakly, at 300 mg. It has indications for depression and anxiety disorders.
  • Cymbalta is a very potent SNRI with indications for depression and GAD, and also pain disorders.
  • Pristiq is, to me, kind of a waste of time, but if you wish to try it, go ahead. It is a synthetic version of the active metabolite of Effexor. ("Synthetic predigested Effexor") It's good for people who have genetic mutations in their liver metabolism that would otherwise affect their metabolism of Effexor into its active metabolite, preventing the medicine from working. It's basically an evergreen drug from what I've read. The starting and target dose is 50 mg, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but there's an optional 25 mg and 100 mg dose...
  • Fetzima is a pretty potent SNRI and is the only SNRI approved for depression that acts more on norepinephrine than serotonin (all the others are primarily serotonergic). Probably not good for anxiety, from what I've read of other peoples' anecdotal reports of it.

Hope this helps! 🙂 

Edited by mikl_pls

• 9 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 4:38 AM, Summer896 said:

I realize I'm talking to myself here, but...

My panic on Prozac has only increased. I'm three weeks in. I've been waking up every morning in terror with my heart pounding. Things I have to deal with that seem like huge things.

It has been getting worse but then last night I had a full-blown panic attack the caliber of which, in 50 years, I have never experienced.

I was literally crawling on the floor in terror and I terrified my husband who wanted to call an ambulance.

My doctor told me to come in this morning and kept me waiting an hour and a half. I have to pick up a prescription for Xanax just to tide me over for a few days while the Prozac starts getting a bit lower in my system. I am STILL having the panic attack and it's been waxing and waning for more than 10 hours. I can't believe I drove like that. God must be watching over me. And other drivers around me.

I am so terrified. I am afraid it will never stop. I get the Xanax after my kids get home from school because the doctor kept me waiting so long (90 minutes) that now, my son's bus is due home. I am trying to pull myself together so I don't look like a crazy loon and terrify him.

We are supposed to go on vacation next week. I can't take that away from the kids. I don't want to go but I am terrified to be alone too.

No more. The doctor told me to start taking GABA and l-something...can't remember...I mean I even got this stuff on the way home but I can't remember. But no more antidepressants, oh God, I can't take that.

Hi Summer896! I'm so saddened to read of your struggle, and was wondering how you're doing now?