Sign in to follow this  
Supersonic67

Latuda- Suicide Ideation side effect?

I took Latuda as an add on along with a couple antidepressants a couple years ago and immediately began obsessing about suicide- it was all I could think about. I’ve taken a lot of psych meds so I recognized it as a side effect and didn’t act on it. I kept waiting for the thoughts to go away but they didn’t. Two days before my next appointment I stopped taking it and the thoughts went down by half and by half again the next day.

Now, I’ve had a lot of experience with psych meds so I saw it for what it was. My concern is what would have happened to someone who didn’t have that much experience. Would they have attempted? Has this happened to anyone? I think of this every time I see a commercial for Latuda. Which I usually do, nearly every day. Anyone?

Psych meds are definitely not without risks, in the US they'll even put black box warnings on some meds that clearly state that suicidal thoughts are a potential side effect. This is also one of the reasons children and teenagers shouldn't be medicated unless absolutely necessary since they're more prone to impulsive behavior. 

Glad to hear that you recognized it as a side-effect! I honestly think that no one should be put on psych meds without being in the care of a psychiatrist and ideally a psychologist as well, particularly if the person lives alone and there isn't anyone there to monitor their behavioral and mood changes. GPs with little to no experience handing out antidepressants seems dangerous and yet that's where a lot of people get them from.