Cured my depression with a quote

tim23

Hi all,

I thought I would share my experience of depression and how I dealt with it on here because it might be useful to other people. My apologies if you think I should have posted it on the religion forum but noone's posted on there for a month and a half.

I have a serious, long-term, incurable illness, and as a result of it, on top of other medication, by last year I had been taking antidepressants for about three years (30-45mg of Mirtazapine).

However, I came across a beautiful quote from my faith, the Baha'i Faith, which turned my thinking about my illness and my suffering on its head and made it into a positive, thus enabling me to come off of antidepressants without a problem. I thought I would share it here, in case it is useful for anyone else:

The mind and spirit of man advance when he is tried by suffering. The more the ground is ploughed the better the seed will grow, the better the harvest will be. Just as the plough furrows the earth deeply, purifying it of weeds and thistles, so suffering and tribulation free man from the petty affairs of this worldly life until he arrives at a state of complete detachment... Man is, so to speak, unripe: the heat of the fire of suffering will mature him. Look back to the times past and you will find that the greatest men have suffered most.

- 'Abdu'l-Bahá

When I read and think about this quote, it gets me in a state where I am actively looking for challenges and difficulty, and a future of incurable illness is not depressing any more. If you are in doubt of the truth of it, I recommend you check out the Facebook page Goalcast, it is full of stories of the struggles which famous people have been through before they were successful.

Best wishes

Tim

Edited by tim23

• 2 weeks later...

It is truly remarkable how something as simple as the right words in an opportune moment can change the perception of an entire mind. 

Words are far more than tools of communication. They can shine light through the darkness of our minds. They can whisper through the winds of chaos and despair. They can douse the flames of terror. 

Words provoke action. Actions bestow means to meaning. And for those voracious enough, enunciation of truth.