Sign in to follow this  
sadco

Talk therapy during ketamine treatment

Hi all, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where was appropriate.

I am wondering if anyone knows of clinical studies or has personal experience concerning having talk therapy during a ketamine infusion? My psychiatrist wants me to do ketamine therapy with him, and he has a trauma therapist that talks to you while you're doing the infusions, but ketamine is considerably cheaper if I go to another clinic that just does the infusion. I haven't been able to find any data suggesting that having therapy during is significantly better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by sadco
clarification

i haven't done it. it's expensive, and I can't afford it...but someone a few months ago mentioned in the forum, that it helped a lot, and many studies I've seen people have felt better from it...if you can afford it, and he is suggesting it, and nothing else is helping I don't see why not? maybe ask him if you can talk to other patients who have done it and seen results, just to get a better idea of what to expect and stuff like that? or maybe find a nearby clinic or support group for depression (maybe you will find someone who has done it there?)

Could you try one appointment of each (with/ without talk therapy) and then decide which one you prefer and whether you think the talk therapy during the treatment is "worth" the additional expense?

Personally, I would like to try the one with talk therapy.

But sure, money is always an issue!!

Where I live, even the non-talk version of ketamine is (too) expensive for me.

6 hours ago, Sophy said:

Could you try one appointment of each (with/ without talk therapy) and then decide which one you prefer and whether you think the talk therapy during the treatment is "worth" the additional expense?

Personally, I would like to try the one with talk therapy.

But sure, money is always an issue!!

Where I live, even the non-talk version of ketamine is (too) expensive for me.

I agree with this idea. Also if you try both you could see if one is a better fit than the other which could make your decision easier.

HI Sadco,

I just wanted to amplify that I think this is an interesting idea. I have been having ketamine IV infusions for the last couple of months and they are really pretty amazing aside from the fact that the feeling does not last longer than a week (or two) for me (aside from the $$$$ that is). And during the last one,  I was just lying in the dark room as usual and I happened to think about my father as I was going into the ketamine state. We have basically been estranged for the last four years and the a few brief conversations we've had have been extremely strained and uncomfortable. But lying there, I felt a very warm and profound sense of healing around my feelings for him. So then I started to think about my brother who I had a incredibly was incredibly awful and abusive in multiple ways to me growing up and I felt a little bit of warmth and closure even with him — though given that he inflicted so much misery, insecurity and self-hatred on me, which has stayed with me for 40 years, I doubt one blast of ketamine is going to make it all right.

Anyway I say all this because it made me feel like there is a possibility of using ketamine in a therapeutic environment to target certain issues and wounds and adaptations. But these days, there's so much professional distance between the doctors who prescribe drugs (or administer ketamine), and the therapists who talk it out (who most of the time achieve nothing, in my experience) I have no idea how you would possibly ever figure out a way to find a great and trustworthy therapist who would be up for it.

But I would love to try it myself. It could be like EMDR that actually works. 

Edited by James Blond
correction

On 9/16/2018 at 7:39 AM, MagnaMagicBtu said:

Curious what is it like taking Ketamine everyday?

i don't think they do it every day. from what another person posted a few months ago they do it every 2-3 weeks or 4-5 weeks (that's how much it lasted for her) but for some people it lasts only for a few days and since insurance does not cover it yet..many people can't afford it..it varies for every person

@James Blond Could you describe what a "ketamine state" feels like for you? I'm curious. I had ketamine put into an IV once while they were doing emergency surgery on me. All I remember is being awake, then instantly going under, and instantly coming awake again. It seemed like 5 seconds had passed when it reality, it was 90 minutes.

Edited by JD4010

16 hours ago, JD4010 said:

@James Blond Could you describe what a "ketamine state" feels like for you? I'm curious. I had ketamine put into an IV once while they were doing emergency surgery on me. All I remember is being awake, then instantly going under, and instantly coming awake again. It seemed like 5 seconds had passed when it reality, it was 90 minutes.

did it help? another person had posted a few months ago that it lasted for 4-6 weeks for her so it was worth, but others post it works for a few days so its not worth the money. she said she eventually found a medicine that worked for her so her doctor told her to stop it. i wish i knew what it felt like too . i have been trying to save up money, it's very expensive and i need thousands to afford it. insurance won't cover it at all as far as i know and you need initial trials from what people told me to do it so like they might do 3 a week or something? and then see how you progress. if anyone has any experience feel free to let us know..it's pretty much all i have left to try but money is the issue.

It definitely helped me. Some relief effects lasted only hours for me, others for weeks and some are on-going. Regarding infusion its important to mention that the protocol is 6 infusions over as many days and then booster/maintenence infusions as needed. I wrote in detail about that in a post in the Other Medications forum, sorry I can't link it here. 

Oral and intranasal Ket is cheaper and less intense but patients have to take it more frequently so it may balance out. 

Talking during IV treatment is difficult due to the anesthetic effect, it's hard to be lucid when tripping and my mouth/tongue was kinda numb. 

It sucks that treatment is not covered by most insurance, my insurance covers it only because my HMO runs its own program.