Radio voices

I don’t have any place to ask this question other than this forum - I truly don’t know what to do  

I’ve fought depression and OCD since 16-17 yrs. old, (I’m 62 now), and have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar II.

Dr. started me on Lamictal and is slowly increasing dosages & decreasing the SSRI’s  

My question is, in the midst of this I’ve been going through a really stressful few weeks (family member hospitalized, enormous debt, beloved family member moving away) and I’ve started to hear voices in my head, like a radio is broadcasting inside my head-voices with strange accents & dialect. I can’t believe this is happening, I don’t know what to think about it, I’m just really frightened and confused. 

Does anyone have experience with this? have you heard of it before? I’m worried I’m losing my grip.  

Thank you for listening,

K

Hi Katz! Im glad you joined the forums. this is a good place to talk about this stuff. Although were not professionals were regular people that have gone through similar experiences. I have OCD too. At one point I thought I was schizophrenic since i would confuse my ocd thoughts with hearing other voices. I also would get thins none stop tinging sound in my hears that would bother me. Not saying this is the case for you but it really could be a number of things. Could very well be a side effect of the drugs you are currently on and perhaps they are not the best mix for you or your body is simply adjusting. Could be part of the Bipolar a long with stress. Things like depression and stress can cause a number of things that one starts to believe we have every mental illness in the world especially us with ocd. I say ass a profession psychiatrist or therapist for their advice on the matter! it will really help you to get some professional opinion on your symptoms. over all however its a good sign that you sound very self aware!

Dear June,

Thanks for the reply, I feel somewhat less alone. You’ve given me some things to think about, especially the idea that we sometimes feel as if we had “every mental illness in the world”.... so true. : ))))

I've gotten the radio voices before.  In my case it was like there was a baseball game on the radio.  I used to hear other voices too, like a telepathic connection to some malevolent people who were out to get me.  I have schizoaffective disorder by the way.  However, it is possible to hallucinate due to severe depression, it is called major depressive disorder with psychotic features.

An anti-psychotic, Abilify, mostly got rid of the hallucinations for me.

Dude333, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Even though I can’t talk to my family about this right now (they know about the bipolar 2 but not the radio stuff), these replies have helped me feel less alone.

im going to bring it up at my next appt. 

thx,

Katz