Wellbutrin questions/Bipolar

Advertisement

Postpartum here. But have struggled with some mood and anxiety issues for years.  slightly over a month ago I started Bupropion 150mg XL.  This week I began taking 300 mg and 2 weeks ago I started Buspirone(Buspar) 15 mg daily (7.5 2x daily).  I have some questions about this stuff for you guys. 

1) Is it normal to feel good most of the time on WB, but have times (sometimes brief, wont last a full day) of feeling either depressed, emotional/teary, to seething inside and can hardly express it, so you just feel like somethings not right, you are unstable, and then can just snap out of it ?  Is this the Wellbutrin causing this or a startup phase, or are my Dad's Bipolar genes making themself more evident now? Ive never been diagnosed bipolar but the mood swings I have sometimes make me wonder.  But I wondered if maybe I just havent given it enough time on the med yet for it to "even out".  

2) Has anyone ever noticed WB HELPING with their anxiety? I have OCD, but it's not in a severe state right now.  But while WB initially didnt seem to help with the anxiety (in fact it might have made it slightly worse), I am now wondering if it's helping me not care about things so much that would usually bother me (like germs and cleanliness).  Perhaps that's just the Buspar working.  But I wanted some feedback on that.  I wonder if the Buspar is a slight downer and dont want to take it if not needed.  But Ive only been on the Buspar two weeks now.  

3) Is it normal to have things make you excessively angry on WB?  Like I can have a temper and grumble anyway, but this seems to make it very easy, like not even a thought about holding it back, the frustration can just happen.  What say you all to this?  

4)  Has anyone ever noticed that WB caused/contributed to acne problems? Perhaps starting new ones?

Hi, ClearSkiesAhead. I take Bupropion XL but I'm not familiar with Buspar. In the past I have taken Lexapro and other SSRIs. I find that Bupropion helps me feel emotions more normally than Lexapro, which seemed to just dampen them all, so in that sense I am more emotional. I will occasionally cry on Bupropion, or have an off day. I can't say I've experienced seething anger or pronounced mood swings on it. I have read that if you are also taking Chantix anti-smoking drug with Wellbutrin it's been known to cause anger and hostility, and if you search google for wellbutrin side effects and anger you'll fine other posts about people experience this--known as hypomania. You might want to mention it to your doctor. 

It's been a while since I was in the startup phase but I remember the positive effects of it seemed to kick in pretty fast. In fact it was almost a kind of euphoria it made me feel so much better than I had been. 

As for anxiety, yes! Bupropion has helped a LOT with my anxiety, which is a little contrary to what you'd expect. It's made a huge difference in my life that way--I can actually enjoy activities without worrying and obsessing about every little thing that could go wrong. 

I never noticed any change in acne related to the meds but acne is a recognized side effect. 

I hope these meds work for you and that you start to feel better soon. 

The first time I was on Welbutrin, I would have hours of rage, and then I would crash and get really depressed.  I refused to take it anymore.  

The next time I was on Welbutrin, I was also already on Effexor which really smoothed out the Welbutrin effects for me.

So my experience with Welbutrin is that it is horrible for anxiety but great with mood if it is with another medication to help with the anxiety.  Others may be affected differently though.