Sign in to follow this  
twistedmister

Does having a smartphone make your mental issues worse?

I guess we've all seen those studies now saying that teens are experiencing more depression and anxiety because of social media on their smartphones, but what's your personal experience like? Do you have an unhealthy relationship with your phone, and do you wish it were better? I'm asking partly out of curiosity, and partly because I'm a software developer who's been struggling a lot with feeling like crap (suicidal crap), and using the Internet as an escape. I'm thinking of writing an app to control my internet usage so I have fewer of those days where I feel worse because I didn't even manage to leave the house. Would anyone else here find something like that useful?

It no so much as the device itself but the Internet and the agenda that releases content. Most websites have a news tab (because "reasons" I guess) which usually shows propaganda opinion pieces. THOSE make me want to go postal; hearing more worthless people asking for privileges and their worthlessness to be championed would worsen depression and anger issues for sure; but I won't say it's the smartphone's fault

21 hours ago, BrokenHorse228 said:

It no so much as the device itself but the Internet and the agenda that releases content. Most websites have a news tab (because "reasons" I guess) which usually shows propaganda opinion pieces. THOSE make me want to go postal; hearing more worthless people asking for privileges and their worthlessness to be championed would worsen depression and anger issues for sure; but I won't say it's the smartphone's fault

Worthless people???

39 minutes ago, rhyl said:

Worthless people???

Lazy, millennial snowflakes who blame their bad decisions on white people; thinking the world owes them something because they simply exist. Yet, they didn't do anything in their life to earn or contribute/justify getting something. The perma-victims.

Absolutely not and I hate the idea of taking these devices away at night from teens who are suffering. It is at night when many are at their worst and need people they can reach out to. My adolescent cousin texts me at 3 and 4am at times when she needs me and if I miss it I panic worried this "was It.

It is my lifeline too and the way I survive the outside world with a severe anxiety disorder. GPS, bus schedules, banking, protecting myself in cabs, finding businesses etc I would be in danger without it in my city.

See:

Article '5 Ways Your Phone Could Be Hurting Your Mental Health' on The Best Brain Possible website. 

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove outside link, leave article title and website name

I have thought more than once lately of switching back to a generic flip phone.  I am on the internet or playing a game on my phone way too much.  I think it keeps us from really living in the moment and connecting to people around us as well.  However, I feel like the way things are now, it would be difficult to not have a smartphone.....i.e. taking pictures or video (although this can verge on compulsion), GPS, Ill be in a store and google something when considering making a purchase, texting is my go-to (id rather text than call), and all of these things are way better on a smartphone.  what are we to do....smh

On 5/10/2018 at 1:23 AM, BrokenHorse228 said:

Lazy, millennial snowflakes who blame their bad decisions on white people; thinking the world owes them something because they simply exist. Yet, they didn't do anything in their life to earn or contribute/justify getting something. The perma-victims.

Wow.