Unhealthy food habits

Tid322

I’ve been having a hard time gaining an appetite with this round of depression. I won’t have an appetite or eat from the time I wake until the afternoon or sometimes evening. By that time I feel so sick I force myself to eat. Then once I start eating I have a hard time stopping. I start binging on snacks, and then dinner and then even more snacks. By the time I finish I feel even more disgusted and p***** off at my lack of self-control. 

Has anyone else had this same problem? Can anyone share any advice on how to get a better grasp on my appetite and or lack of appetite? Thanks in advance.

heak yeah!!! I can relate 100%! I've had binging problems for years. I went for a period of time where I had zero appetite and lost a lot of weight then gained a lot of weight from binge eating ect ... 

Honestly its hard to get over these issues because really they sometimes stem from psychological roots. Food and how we go about it is a way of self medicating. Not eating makes us feel a sense of control we sometimes lack in our life while eating provides us with a temporary relief and high. 

The best Advice I can give that has helped me is find healthy recipes that you can eat a lot of like look up raw vegan recipes on youtube that are healthy and will fill you up with nutrions and you can eat until you feel satisfied. Also again on days you dont feel like eating at all find recipes that are healthy that you enjoy that you know you have have a little of through out the day. Junk food wil never satisfy us. Bad processed food lacks nutrion but is full of calories that is why our food gets hungry quickly when we eat junk food because its still lacking the nutrition it so desperately needs so it asks for more food. If you dont want to eat a kale salad dont eat a dumb kale salad just because its good for you. Trust me there are so many delicious recipes out there that are healthy. You just have to take the time to look for them. Ive found a lot of delicious recipes on youtube that have helped me a lot :) My favorite channels are "High Carb Hannah , Tess Begg and some others one they all have good delicious Healthy recipes. Maybe you can find some there. It really is about forming healthy habbits with foods and breaking the old ones that we have and it will slowly get better. Wishing you the best!! keep me posted on your food journey :) 

Thanks for your response. I don’t have a problem with eating and enjoying healthy foods. I went to school to become a registered dietitian, and I avoid most processed foods being brought into my house. I just know this isn’t a healthy habit I am creating and worse yet, I am doing this in front of my kids. I just want to get my normal healthy habits back. I am eating past the point of being full and I hate it. It’s causing much worse self-loathing. I definitely feel like I have lost control in all aspects of my life.

1 hour ago, Asta said:

Yes, I have this same problem.  You have to make yourself eat in the morning even if you're not hungry. The reason we overeat is that we wait until we're starving to eat. I just eat these breakfast biscuits, they're like gram crackers. 

thats so true too!!

3 hours ago, Tid322 said:

Thanks for your response. I don’t have a problem with eating and enjoying healthy foods. I went to school to become a registered dietitian, and I avoid most processed foods being brought into my house. I just know this isn’t a healthy habit I am creating and worse yet, I am doing this in front of my kids. I just want to get my normal healthy habits back. I am eating past the point of being full and I hate it. It’s causing much worse self-loathing. I definitely feel like I have lost control in all aspects of my life.

Then it sounds like Asta said . You just have to make it a habit to eat at least some portions of food and always eat breakfast. If you dont eat for long period of times when you finally do eat of course youre going to binge because youre starving. Also since youre starving youre probably eating really fast and not giving your body a chance to register how much food its consumed. 

Thanks for all the insight. I already knew I needed to eat. I’m just having a hard time fighting myself or tricking myself into doing it earlier in the day. I lack the desire, motivation, and energy. But despite this I am trying out some berries with my morning coffee.

I feel like I am literally fighting with myself to do this, mentally and physically. Hoping maybe pairing it with a stimulant like coffee my attitude might perk up a little. Thank you all for weighing in.

6 hours ago, Tid322 said:

Thanks for all the insight. I already knew I needed to eat. I’m just having a hard time fighting myself or tricking myself into doing it earlier in the day. I lack the desire, motivation, and energy. But despite this I am trying out some berries with my morning coffee.

I feel like I am literally fighting with myself to do this, mentally and physically. Hoping maybe pairing it with a stimulant like coffee my attitude might perk up a little. Thank you all for weighing in.

thats a good start! :) i wish you well

Depression can take hold of so many different areas of our life and wreck havoc on it. I've gone through the same thing where I won't eat all day and then binge eat for hours. I then feel guilty and ashamed after for my lack of control. What has helped for me is being intentional when I eat, setting up a schedule to eat every couple of hours even if it's just a little bit so I am getting something in to my system. I also try to keep sweets and junk food out of my house so they are not a temptation as they are normally the foods are run to when I want to binge. No junk food usually means no excessive binging. It does take an effort to be intentional about eating and our food choices. These are a couple of things that have helped me.