Sign in to follow this  
Quietplace27

Anyone?

I was just put on Sertraline and was wondering if it is really going to help my depression and anxiety. I've been struggling with it for so long that I dont know what it's like to be normal. 

I guess my question is how would it work if I still have the negative thoughts in my head that get me depressed?

Hi Quietplace. Sorry you are struggling. I know what it's like to be plagued with seemingly unending negative thoughts. From my experience, medication alone isn't enough. Therapy really helps give people tools to cope, even thrive. It could a couple of tries to find the right therapist,  but once I did, he helped so much. Your connection is far more important than any particular therapeutic techniques. I have also found things like journaling, spending time with animals, and having quiet time in nature to be helpful. Wishing you well. 

Hi there, I was put on Sertraline a few years ago but unfortunately it didn't do anything for me apart from causing insomnia. I find when a medicine is working, you can still have negative thoughts but they don't really affect you as much. Like, the dark thought feels like something unimportant, as though you were thinking about a table or something equally as plain. 

Depending on how you react on them, you might feel a bit happier or you might feel numb. It's hard to say as different people react differently. 

Best of luck, I hope they work for you 

It has been a miracle drug for some, a fail for others, and a nightmare for others (particularly people with bipolar). There are many more options available if it doesn't work though. Give it a chance and don't lose hope so early in the 'game'. 

Welcome to DF, quietplace27. :console:  Give the meds a chance to work for you, and let your prescribing doctor know about what you are going through.  There are often negative thoughts, or even faulty thinking processes that go along with depression - the medication helps relieve some of the symptoms so you can work through these issues and correct some of the faulty thinking that can go along with it.