Sign in to follow this  
kaymichele01

Needing some advice on how to handle bipolar disorder?

First let me start by saying that in no way do I believe anyone here is a qualified  health professional, I just am wanting opinions and advice on a situation that is starting to get out of hand in our home. I live with a few roommates, and a few months ago one of my roomies decided to let someone move in with us because I am soon moving out. It's  important to note this guy isn't a stranger, the boyfriend of my roommate has known him since they were kids, they served in the military together, he had a great job, very stable and nice. About that same time, he starts dating another mutual friend of my roommates and she starts shacking up with him at our house. Everything was fine at first, then out of nowhere he starts staying up all night long for days at a time working on "projects" around the house and while still acting normal at this time, is becoming a little less normal each day. He barely eats and stays up for days on end, he quit his job of several years out of nowhere and he found a knot on his neck that turned out to be a muscle knot but no doctor could convince him he wasn't dying. Eventually after he became increasingly erratic, he went and saw a doctor who told him he was bipolar, put him on medication and then let him go. Soon after, he overdosed on one of his medications and tried to **** himself. He ended up in ICU on a ventilator and then 24 hours later is released back home. He voluntarily agrees to go to a treatment facility but they only keep him 3 days and then release him again with new medication. Since then he's been incredibly erratic, going off on trips places only to turn around and come right back home the same day, chugging energy drinks even after he was told it could trigger manic episodes, lying about all kinds of things, yelling at everyone, and most recently, I found a mirror in his room with a picture of Jesus glued to it covered in wax and a bulletin board full of random words like suicide and homicide and things about Kurt Cobain? It's all very strange and none of us know what we're dealing with. We've contacted crisis lines, the police, anyone we can think of and nobody will do anything. Can anyone give us any advice or opinion on ways we can handle this sort of thing?

Edited by kaymichele01

Yikes! That sounds like a scary situation.  I would definitely speak with physician's and perhaps see if he is willing for you to speak with a counselor. If he does not permit you to speak with a counselor, perhaps you should seek one for your own benefit. Have you considered having him move out? If so, it might be a good idea to talk to a counselor about the best way to handle the situation. 

38 minutes ago, sunshineandbutterflie said:

Have you considered having him move out? 

That would be my suggestion too. Police and crisis lines can't really do much as long as he's not an immediate threat to himself or others.

Kicking him out may sound cruel but living with roommates is hard enough as it is and you just aren't equipped to handle someone like him, as long as his bipolar isn't under control he would do much better staying in a halfway house where he gets some level of support.

Does he own firearms? If so you may want to consider talking to the police again before kicking him out, in some states there are laws that allow them to temporarily confiscate guns when someone poses a risk. 

4 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

That would be my suggestion too. Police and crisis lines can't really do much as long as he's not an immediate threat to himself or others.

Kicking him out may sound cruel but living with roommates is hard enough as it is and you just aren't equipped to handle someone like him, as long as his bipolar isn't under control he would do much better staying in a halfway house where he gets some level of support.

Does he own firearms? If so you may want to consider talking to the police again before kicking him out, in some states there are laws that allow them to temporarily confiscate guns when someone poses a risk. 

I totally agree with lonelyforeigner. The only thing I may add is to mention, if he’s receptive, outpatient programs and therapy if he’s not in them already.

So sorry. This is such a terrible situation for everyone.