Donate Now Read more... ×

I dare say that this Topic has been covered before sorry if it has. 

I struggle with wording how I feel in any way shape or form yet i still feel the urge to try to write it down. I'm thinking of starting a journal in order to try and figure out the right words/phrases with the intention to help medical professionals understand and potentially reassess medication as my voice never seems loud enough. I always seem to play my symptoms down but as time passed I'm realising more and more that I am no longer able to cope. 

Is a journal the right thing to do or should I just leave it down to the medication? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated. 

Thanks  -  GuessWho52

This is a great idea! Journaling has been proven to help with depression.

Even though you struggle now, with practice you will get better, not only for the medical professionals, but for yourself as well. 

With depression, there's no one word or one treatment that is going to help you. It is a balanced approach between medication, eating healthy and exercise with some journaling and counseling... Everyone's balance is going to be unique to them given everyone is a little different and on different levels with their depression.

Posted (edited)

think journaling is  good too, Guesswho52 !  

Writing can be so therapeutic and cathartic.  I have often had insights during the process of writing.  I wish you all the best!!!  - epictetus

Edited by Epictetus

One good reason for a journal is when you are feeling especially depressed you can look back to when you were doing ok and see what you were doing differently 

I'm preparing a series of workshops on journaling, so this is a subject of interest to me.

There are all different kinds of journals you can keep. If you have trouble writing, you might start drawing. You don't have to know how to draw and you can be a lousy artist, none of that matters. But sometimes what we choose and the colors we use to express ourselves can say a lot.

If you really want to just write, don't worry about how it sounds or how it's written or whether it is connected and makes any sense.  Sometimes, I just start writing down words. Sometimes I write in a column or just randomly all over the page. It always helps me see patterns, like what I'm thinking about the most.  And sometimes I share all that with my therapist. He doesn't care how it's written because anything I write helps him understand me better.

Journaling is awesome. I'm using an app called Daylio that is a journal, mood tracker and activity tracker. It's very easy and enjoyable to use. I've been using it for over a year and it has helped me immensely.