I was diagnosed with BPD at 14 years old, is that possible?

sabiflitch

In our teenage years, puberty is dominating us physically and mentally. At 14 I was diagnosed with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) but I am very confused. Was that a correct diagnosis? What if the doctor who diagnosed me was just new and didn't particularly know what she was talking about? Sometimes I wonder if I am exaggerating or imagining all of this. I know I have had a hard life but I'm so confused. I know I am depressed and suffer from anxiety but I had sort of forgot about my diagnosis back then (I'm 24 now, 25 in Nov.) 

I read a lot about BPD and it does seem to fit exactly how I feel/act in every way. Is it worth mentioning to my new psychiatrist/psychologist about that diagnosis? I'm afraid I'll never get the right help.

I think it’s good to be open and honest with your past diagnosis. Just because you were once diagnosed with that does not mean it will always plague you. My husband was diagnosed at 16 with BPD and he is completely in remission. He is one of the most level headed and sane individuals I’ve ever known. 

If you bring yourself open to a therapist I think it may help them help you better. I’d say a therapist is the last individual you would ever want to hide something from. And who knows, they may say it was a misdiagnosis. You’ll never know unless you’re open and honest.

best wishes for you. I hope you find the help you desire.

Edited by Tid322

It's definitely worth it. Psychologists and psychiatrists can't diagnose you just by looking at you, getting some background info may help them better understand you and your situation and look at things from an angle they may not have thought about before. I have a BPD diagnosis but I come across as very level-headed since I'm pretty good at masking my inner turmoil, a professional who never sees me in a full-on crisis probably wouldn't diagnose me with BPD (I have the quiet BPD type which easily goes unnoticed). 

Diagnosing someone with anything at the age of 14 is always questionable if you ask me, there are so many hormonal changes that can effect mood and behavior that it's difficult to make a conclusive diagnosis. The diagnosis may change or no longer be applicable by the time you reach adulthood. In your case it sounds like it may have been correct if you still identify with the diagnostic criteria. 

Have you looked into the specific DSM diagnostic criteria? It is rare to diagnose in teens because they say their personality hasn't formed, but since early intervention can make such a difference they may have found it necessary. On another note I can assure you that questioning the validity of our diagnosis when you condition cycles happens and I know many people who blame themselves for them. 

Side note I am a few years older and many doctors were resistant to diagnose or treat any teenager after 2004, so I wouldn't write them off. Conditions worsened and suicides correlated with denial of treatment until they finally seen the connection it seems.

16 hours ago, sabiflitch said:
Advertisement

In our teenage years, puberty is dominating us physically and mentally. At 14 I was diagnosed with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) but I am very confused. Was that a correct diagnosis? What if the doctor who diagnosed me was just new and didn't particularly know what she was talking about? Sometimes I wonder if I am exaggerating or imagining all of this. I know I have had a hard life but I'm so confused. I know I am depressed and suffer from anxiety but I had sort of forgot about my diagnosis back then (I'm 24 now, 25 in Nov.) 

I read a lot about BPD and it does seem to fit exactly how I feel/act in every way. Is it worth mentioning to my new psychiatrist/psychologist about that diagnosis? I'm afraid I'll never get the right help.

I don't have BPD, but from what I understand, most people's personalities start developing around the age of 2.  Also, diagnoses can definitely change over time.  I was diagnosed with autism when I was 5, but now most people now would never notice.  (I'm currently 19).  However, it would probably be good to tell your doctor all that you can, so that they have a better frame of reference.

I think you are right that a lot of people are too quickly labeled that or other things especially at teens already have so much angst and hormonal fluxes.  That is why they are slower now to put them on anti depressants.  Teen years are really hard and people go all over the place in emotions then.  However, if you are currently experiencing depression and it is extreme enough to see a Dr, go see one.  If it is not, do healthy things the help improve your state of mind and heart.  When I am down or anxious, I do the following things for stress:
I take magnesium and ginseng to calm my body, mind and soul.  They also get rid of those  sticky negative thoughts and feelings that get me down.  Yes, they really work!  God has given us many things to help us on this earth.  Also, I get outside, breathe deep in God's creation, touch the earth and look at the stars.  That helps me remember the bigness of life and the constant faithfulness of it all. Also I pray, meditate on wise words and stretch myself thru learning, art and groups like meetups,  bible studies, classes.  Anxiety is so much more a problem than it used to be, some of spiritual, some of it physical.  <3 Hope this helps you, praying for you.  Focus on the good things in life, shrink the small ones.  Life is good, remember the good times.  =)