Sign in to follow this  

They are different medications.  Their both in the same class of antidepressants snri but fetzima has more norepinephrine action so should be more stimulating. I believe fetzima is almost identical to the drug used to treat fibromyalgia called savella. 

thanks. I've had some luck with SNRI's in the past but only for a few months/years, and my doctor wants to try them again. I just wan't to give up to be honestly, but he told me to think about it. I'm just so tired of the trial game. I don't think they realize how annoying it is and painful.

Your welcome. Good luck if you do end up trying it. Theres a couple new antidepressants coming out later this year I believe that might be worth trying as well. One is Esketamine and another I forget the name (ALKS-5461 something like that not sure) 

Buprenorphine/samidorphan (developmental code name ALKS-5461) is a combination drug formulation of buprenorphine and samidorphan acting as a κ-opioid receptor (KOR) antagonist which is under development by Alkermes as an adjunct to antidepressant therapy in treatment-resistant depression (TRD).

Are they only for depression or anxiety? I hope they help ..Ketamine is way too expensive I can't afford it.

On 4 April, 2018 at 10:54 AM, ladysmurf said:

Buprenorphine/samidorphan (developmental code name ALKS-5461) is a combination drug formulation of buprenorphine and samidorphan acting as a κ-opioid receptor (KOR) antagonist which is under development by Alkermes as an adjunct to antidepressant therapy in treatment-resistant depression (TRD).

Are they only for depression or anxiety? I hope they help ..Ketamine is way too expensive I can't afford it.

Thank you Lady. Thats the antidepressant I was thinking of.      I think they ll both be approved for depression and/or adjuncts to antidepressants but can still potentially help with anxiety too. 

Some people say Ketamine has really helped them feel better, but it's too pricey, and you need to find a private clinic, I don't have money like that, and the insurance won't cover it. Oh well hopefully if that drug comes out soon, maybe I'll try it, if it's cheap and I can get my insurance to cover it. A girl I met at a support group suggested I talk to my doctor about Fetzima and I think Savella because I've had some relief from SNRI's in the past. We'll see. I'm just so tired of trying . People don't realize how much this takes out of you :(

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I took Cymbalta for about a year and tolerated it well. It sort of worked for me (I was eh-okish but not great on it) and recently switched from Fetzima after two months of hell to Prozac which somehow miraculously worked for me after 7-8 antidepressants failed me. I don't think they are the same at all. I had high hopes for Fetzima since Cymbalta worked for me, but every day was like a rollercoaster. I'd had an almost "high" feeling in the morning with a huge boost of energy and then after several hours I'd get struck by crippled anxiety and then my mood would plummet into the ground leaving me bedbound and sobbing. I tried to tough it out for 8 weeks but it just kept getting worse. My doctor thinks because of my high levels of anxiety, it just wasn't the right drug for me plus it has a really short half life (12 hours and peaks at 6) so I was hitting that hell-zone right when it was peaking. I think if I could have somehow emptied it into food and taken it consistently throughout the day, I might have been ok, but it was just too much for me, but I've heard a lot of success stories on it too. I've never heard a story like mine on it so don't let that deter you at all! I wasn't expecting much when I switched to Prozac and read how it was a super slow-acting med but it starting working almost immediately on me, so I think I just process things differently.

I know how hard it is to keep trying and have things not work for you and the mental exhaustion and disappointment that comes along with it. I'm two years in and just barely three weeks into feeling slightly better and so hesitant to accept it. I've been so low recently that I didn't think I could possibly feel any worse and would almost laugh at shows/people that would talk about anxiety and depression because it was so unrelatable to me. It's like until you really are IN IT, you have no idea what it's really like. I had to take 8 weeks off of work because I just physically and mentally couldn't do it anymore. I just couldn't. There were days when I was off that I would lay in bed all day and my only connection to the outside world was youtube videos and I would manage to drag myself out of bed right before my husband got home and slap something lazy together for dinner and wet/brush my hair so he didn't think I was in bed all day. I wouldn't leave the house for weeks. I'd make excuses not to go out.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, I just really hope the Fetzima works for you. Everything works differently for everybody and it could be just what your brain is missing and I hope it is :)

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 0:01 PM, ladysmurf said:

Some people say Ketamine has really helped them feel better, but it's too pricey, and you need to find a private clinic, I don't have money like that, and the insurance won't cover it. Oh well hopefully if that drug comes out soon, maybe I'll try it, if it's cheap and I can get my insurance to cover it. A girl I met at a support group suggested I talk to my doctor about Fetzima and I think Savella because I've had some relief from SNRI's in the past. We'll see. I'm just so tired of trying . People don't realize how much this takes out of you :(

Oh and I've also done ketamine under my doctor's supervision (somehow I got lucky and my psychiatrist's office is the only one in the state that does it). It did help slightly, but I think because I was on the wrong medication at the time, it wasn't quite as effective. They did two rounds weekly for three weeks plus an extra round because of my PMDD screwing up one of the rounds and then they do booster infusions every 6 weeks or so for me (it varies per person, some people can go 2-3 months at a time). I'm interested to see how I react when I have my next booster while on the Prozac. It is pricey, but if you become an established patient before you start, they might work out a price plan with you. Since I was already a patient there, they only charged me the price of an office visit instead of the $500 per infusion which ended up being just $50 per infusion which helped tremendously. For me it was either try the ketamine or try EMS/TMS and I was way too terrified to go there, so I went with the ketamine. It wasn't like a huge day and night transformation for me, but it helped. I do seem to noticed every 6-8 weeks that I feel a little "blah" and get some mood swings and end up going back in for a booster and then feel pretty good after. It's definitely an experience but not scary at all. Plus if you try it and it's not working after the first 2 or 3 infusions, they stop the treatment anyways so they don't waste all of your money. It helps a lot more with your functioning and wanting to get out and do things and then the theory is your mood improves as you start wanting to get out there and do more and that's how it seems to work with me, although you do seem to get a slight mood increase the couple days after the infusion.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, jay89 said:

Your welcome. Good luck if you do end up trying it. Theres a couple new antidepressants coming out later this year I believe that might be worth trying as well. One is Esketamine and another I forget the name (ALKS-5461 something like that not sure) 

That's really good to know in case the Prozac I'm on poops out on me at some point. I've tried almost everything out there. I think there are a few left I haven't tried yet, but I've gone through most of them and it's been hell. Somehow miraculously Prozac starting working almost immediately after I started it and has me feeling about 60% better but I'm still only on 20mg.

3 minutes ago, mabeman said:

Oh and I've also done ketamine under my doctor's supervision (somehow I got lucky and my psychiatrist's office is the only one in the state that does it). It did help slightly, but I think because I was on the wrong medication at the time, it wasn't quite as effective. They did two rounds weekly for three weeks plus an extra round because of my PMDD screwing up one of the rounds and then they do booster infusions every 6 weeks or so for me (it varies per person, some people can go 2-3 months at a time). I'm interested to see how I react when I have my next booster while on the Prozac. It is pricey, but if you become an established patient before you start, they might work out a price plan with you. Since I was already a patient there, they only charged me the price of an office visit instead of the $500 per infusion which ended up being just $50 per infusion which helped tremendously. For me it was either try the ketamine or try EMS/TMS and I was way too terrified to go there, so I went with the ketamine. It wasn't like a huge day and night transformation for me, but it helped. I do seem to noticed every 6-8 weeks that I feel a little "blah" and get some mood swings and end up going back in for a booster and then feel pretty good after. It's definitely an experience but not scary at all. Plus if you try it and it's not working after the first 2 or 3 infusions, they stop the treatment anyways so they don't waste all of your money. It helps a lot more with your functioning and wanting to get out and do things and then the theory is your mood improves as you start wanting to get out there and do more and that's how it seems to work with me, although you do seem to get a slight mood increase the couple days after the infusion.

WOW it lasted for 6 weeks for you? (unless I misunderstood) That's pretty amazing.  I have PMDD too and it stinks. I'm terrified to try it because of the price , but I will try to save up some money and talk to my doctors about it. My therapist has mentioned it as a treatment option, but I'm not sure. I've also read horror stories from others online, that it did not work for them, but yes everyone reacts different. What is it like ? (if you want and feel comfortable you can PM me and explain it please. only if you feel comfortable) Do you think it helped with anxiety or just depression? Because the clinic I've seen says depression ? but I have both, so I'm confused? Thank you for the information!

On 4/3/2018 at 7:34 PM, jay89 said:

do you think it will make a difference jay? i've read articles and people post on forums about ketamine working for them, when everything else has failed but i really don't know...they keep coming out with new drugs but nothing ever helps.

Hello Ladysmurf 

I think the new medications will be very helpful for some people for sure.

Lots of new scientific research being done on the brain and gut microbiome connection as well as on inflammation. If you have a chance check out Dr. Charles Raison and Dr. Rhonda Patrick youtube podcast lots of new info on depression.  Its thought that genes that turn on and are causing mood disorders are also the same genes that when turned on can resist certain viruses. Its like a defense system the brain, body naturally goes into. 

Also check out Georgia Ede. Shes a Harvard trained psychiatrist. Shes seeing huge benefits with her clients who adopt a ketogenic and or all meat diet. Im trying the all meat diet and it s been about three weeks and I do notice a reduction in anxiety so Im hopefull Itll continue. 

5 hours ago, jay89 said:

Hello Ladysmurf 

I think the new medications will be very helpful for some people for sure.

Lots of new scientific research being done on the brain and gut microbiome connection as well as on inflammation. If you have a chance check out Dr. Charles Raison and Dr. Rhonda Patrick youtube podcast lots of new info on depression.  Its thought that genes that turn on and are causing mood disorders are also the same genes that when turned on can resist certain viruses. Its like a defense system the brain, body naturally goes into.  

Also check out Georgia Ede. Shes a Harvard trained psychiatrist. Shes seeing huge benefits with her clients who adopt a ketogenic and or all meat diet. Im trying the all meat diet and it s been about three weeks and I do notice a reduction in anxiety so Im hopefull Itll continue. 

Hey jay,

I have looked into it. It's a spray right? that I guess J&J is supposed to release within a few years..?? One site said in 2018, but another I read in 2019.. ...but as far as the infusions they cost like 500+ per one, and I don't know if I can afford it any time soon.  Although I've read stories of people who never responded to anything and it helped them a lot..Its even shown to help with anxiety in some case studies that I've read ..

On 4/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, mabeman said:

How are you doing?? well I'm glad it lasted 6 weeks for you ...Someone else posted 2-3 days...the price terrifies me more than the procedure. I'm trying to come up with the money ..its so expensive..

On 4/3/2018 at 7:34 PM, jay89 said:

I doubt it will come out soon 😞

On 4/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, mabeman said:

do you still go for treatments?