Did You Get Any Exercise Today?

YAY : )

I did no exercise, other than the exercise I got doing some farm work.

Haha. As usual.

I struggle with so many things re exercise - asthma, sport migraines, chronic pain just to name a few - in addition to depression which is really tough re motivation, oh and also when I am depressed I get agoraphobia, so I hate going outdoors to do sport on those days. *sigh*

I want to make it a thing tho - to find forms of exercise I feel comfortable with (eg yoga) and find ways of doing even just a little bit (10 mins?) on days when I struggle with depression.

@salparadise6132 what are your favourite forms of exercise? You have mentioned stepper and weights.

What are your aims re sports?

Edited by Sophy

1 minute ago, sabiflitch said:

Awesome! Well, I am not going to the gym or anything but I'm going to do some yard work for my boyfriend and try to get a good sweat going on. Mental and physical!

Cool : )

I actually really like doing things like farm work as my exercise. It feels like I'm doing something useful, which helps me stay motivated.

I really struggle doing something that is "just exercising muscles" on its own, often that kind of exercise irritates me and frustrates me.

@Sophy Same here. It took me a while to get used to going to the gym because I have a really short attention span so I couldn't get through a single set of 10 reps without looking at my phone or looking around randomly at the walls or the tv, or the details of other people. I'm just cutting branches today, sweeping the porch, cleaning house, moving some gravel around in the driveway. It's super toasty outside today but it's nice! 

yay! im so glad you started this! Ive been trying to go to the Gym more often.  Today I didnt go though but im planning to go this week. so far ive gone 3 times this week which I guess isnt bad to start with

Edited by June322

57 minutes ago, salparadise6132 said:
Advertisement

Hi folks,

I thought I'd start a thread to encourage us to get some physical exercise each day.

I will start:

I did 20 minutes on my step machine and some weights.

I'm very happy to see this!:hugs:I walked 5 miles today.

@salparadise6132

Oh dear, it seems like we may have reinvented the wheel....

I'm not sure what to do - should we go and join the older thread and revive it?

@sabiflitch @GoldenOne @June322 @sober4life (just everyone who's posted so far)

I had the idea of starting this thread with @salparadise6132 and I was hoping to start a thread which is both about sport and depression.

I understand the sense of achievement thing and I think that's great and should be a part of this.

But to me, it feels like too much of the performance/ achievement stuff that goes on in society.

If we're just posting minutes and miles here, it's too much like a competition.

Should someone who only does 2 miles feel lesser? Or someone who does 40 mins on the stepper feel better than someone who does 20 mins?

I'd like there to be more depth to this.

People mentioning some stuff about whether it was hard to motivate themselves.

Or about how far they've come.

Or what their goals are re exercise and how they're going about trying to achieve them.

Or that they are struggling with exercise today.

Or to *describe* how the exercise they did today helped them feel better.

Or if they are great at exercise, then maybe tips and encouragement for all the other depressed people here who massively struggle with exercise and maybe getting out of bed and managing to walk to the bathroom sink to brush their teeth is all the "exercise" they manage to do that day.

I'd like this to be more inclusive and less 2 dimensional than just who did what. Do you know what I mean?

I think getting exercise or at least "movement" or at least doing something that makes your body feel good, is a really big deal for people with depression. So this thread is really important to me and I'd be super, super thankful to get a bit more of the "struggle" of exercise reflected here and not just the "achievement".

Some of you have already intuitively done this (thank you!!!!) but I just wanted to say how much it means to me that we get more of this happening.

Hope ppl understand what I mean........    : /

Edited by Sophy

19 minutes ago, salparadise6132 said:

Way to go everyone.  Perhaps we should migrate over to the thread Sophy mentions above that's already up and running?

What do you think.

@Sophy  I don't do any sports, per se, except tennis and golf in the summer.

Ooh, you sound pretty sporty! : )

So what are your aims re sport? Stepper and weights daily?

Btw. I got no sport done today, once again, except some farm work. At least yet.

It's 7 pm here. Should I sneak in 10 mins of sport so I didn't do none??

Haha : )

Edited by Sophy

1 hour ago, Sophy said:

Ooh, you sound pretty sporty! : )

So what are your aims re sport? Stepper and weights daily?

Btw. I got no sport done today, once again, except some farm work. At least yet.

It's 7 pm here. Should I sneak in 10 mins of sport so I didn't do none??

Haha : )

Farm work is probably pretty good, Sophy. You should give yourself credit for being active!!!!

Stepper and weights 5 days per week is my goal.

Now that the weather is better, I am hoping to add 1/2 of walking to that!

Cheers

Brian

We did an inspection tour of an old facility today and it was an extensive walk-around. We had to climb a long flight of stairs up into a "mezzanine" and I made it. Barely winded in fact.

I need to get back into shape. I keep saying that. It will take a horrendous amount of dedication to do that.

I walked out to my shed to see if the mowers still worked and I wanted burn the shed to the ground because this is all my life is going to be again this year.  I need to get in shape too but I'm the laziest person on earth.  Once I figured out I could just diet and lay around the house and get the same results as exercising running went away pretty quick.