Sign in to follow this  
nirah007

Therapy is expensive and time consuming

So I’ve been thinking of quitting therapy, because my finances are tight. And I can’t seem to fit them into my tight schedule. And I’m feeling a bit upset about it. I found a very nice and helpful therapist too. 

I wish I can just remove this need to speak out my mind.. I wish I can just clear my mind and make it empty.. stop all kinds of negative thinking.. be independent without needing people to talk to.. be focused on what I want in life and not get distracted by my thoughts of life being so hard n difficult.. yes this forums can be a place to let out my thoughts but it’s not always a place where I can find solutions for my problem thinking.. 

is there really a way out of depression? A way out of being dependent on people? A way out of negative thinking? 

Hi Nirah007,

I'm not sure this would be helpful to you, but I was helped a great deal by reading psychotherapy self-help books, especially those by cognitive behavior therapists.  Some of these are available in cities and towns that have public libraries.   

I sure hope you find something that helps!

38 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

I was helped a great deal by reading psychotherapy self-help books, especially those by cognitive behavior therapists. 

Hi Epic, thanks for the tip! Would u have any specific books which u can recommend me to read? Thanks in advance..

Nirah:

The Feeling Good Handbook has been helpful to many.  It takes a cognitive/behavioral approach.  I've used the exercises in the book frequently.  And they are helpful to me. 

Wishing you the best. 

Hi Nirah, 

Have you talked to your therapist about your financial concerns, they can sometimes be accommodating if you are struggling. It may be worth the chat to find out. 

Wishing you the best 

Leila 

Nirah,

In answer to your question, my favorite go-to psychotherapy self-help books are:  David Burns, "Feeling Good."; Matthew McKay, "Self-Esteem."; Robert L Leahy, "Worry Cure"; Gary Emey, "Own Your Own Life." 

Hope this helps!   

Hi Nirah, I've found that keeping a journal every day helps me to be less dependent on people and more self-reliant. That way I can empty my mind and release negative emotions/thoughts without needing someone else. I've been using an app called Daylio for over a year and it's great! You can also track moods and activities there.

Also, if you want to clear your mind, stop negative thinking and avoid being distracted by thoughts like you said, you should definitely look into mindfulness and meditation! There's an app called Headspace with daily guided meditations that's suited for absolute beginners.

Take care!

21 hours ago, nirah007 said:
Advertisement

So I’ve been thinking of quitting therapy, because my finances are tight. And I can’t seem to fit them into my tight schedule. And I’m feeling a bit upset about it. I found a very nice and helpful therapist too. 

I wish I can just remove this need to speak out my mind.. I wish I can just clear my mind and make it empty.. stop all kinds of negative thinking.. be independent without needing people to talk to.. be focused on what I want in life and not get distracted by my thoughts of life being so hard n difficult.. yes this forums can be a place to let out my thoughts but it’s not always a place where I can find solutions for my problem thinking.. 

is there really a way out of depression? A way out of being dependent on people? A way out of negative thinking? 

Hi,

I value therapy myself and I also know the feeling of sometimes not being able to afford it....

So if you are asking how to effectively self treat depression, I would certainly second the Feeling Good book by David Burns, I've used those CBT exercises myself a number of times to help with negative ruminations and it does work, obviously you don't get the live feedback from a therapist.

I'd also look into mindfulness practice, particularly anything by John Kabat-Zinn.

Mindfulness is about trying to remain in the present moment as much as possible and can help with both depression (looking backwards towards past events/trauma = not in the present) and anxiety (fearing future outcomes = not in the present). It's not quite the same as meditation, meditation is often used as an escape/release, while mindfulness is about staying present, being accepting of our current life situation (no matter how difficut), however, the two are definitely beneficial for each other.

There's also Eckhart Tolle. His audibooks contain a lot of information and it can take many listens to fully understand/appreciate the messages around mindfulness / staying present.

Or if you wanted to take it a step further, check out Thich Naht Hanh - he has produced lots of free seminars on youtube.

You may want to google NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), it's a way of thinking/communicating and if you could find a local NLP Mastermind Group in your area, that would help massively with life goals etc.

There's also amino acid therapy as pioneered by Julia Ross in her book "The Mood Cure" that uses supplements you can find in the health food / gym supplement store for treating depression as an alternative or adjunct to antidepressants. Feel free to read the 2 file attachments.

Keeping a consistent, regular sleep routine - regardless of weekday or weekend, preferably in bed before midnight, it also helps to avoid TV before bed, the blue light in the tv disrupts production of the sleep hormone - melatonin. If you use computers, check out the free f.lux software and there's a phone app called Twilight, both of these apps remove the blue light from the screen, replacing it with a softer, more mellow orange glow that is more relaxing.

Diet is key for combatting depression - try eating as "raw" (clean) as you can, i.e foods that are close as possible / affordable to the original source - be it crop, vegetable, pulse, seed, animal or fish (paleo / gluten free diets). Almost everyone, me included, when badly depressed seeks solace in comfort and processed foods, as they provide a high or distraction from suffering. The cruel twist is that, apart from the calories, they are the worst foods for maintaining mental health long-term, they play havoc with your blood sugar and cortisol; which triggers anxiety. They are lacking key nutrients the brain needs to get well - which leads to energy crashes, fatigue, brain fog and worsening of depression symptoms.

A good fish oil high in EPA/DHA such as red krill oil will help with depression, along with a high quality circumin extract (anything with the Novaso formulation in it) helps brain function too.

Exercise for the endorphins - the "runner's high", it doesnt have to be running, it can be weights or whatever, anything that gets your blood moving round your body, even better if you can combine this with being in nature, away from noise and exhaust fumes.

Lastly, looking at your life and seeing if there are situations or people that consistently drain your energy and spirit - this could be work colleagues, your job/career area itself, your immediate neighbourhood, friends, negative / controlling / highly critical partner or family members. You would need to decide how you can address each of these areas to bring change. If the attitudes of others prevents this change, then asking yourself how much of a sacrifice or compromise for your happiness you are willing to make.

Hope this helps!! :D

B0582_MoodCure_PDF_1.pdf

Townsend-Letter-NNTI article.docx.pdf

Edited by Whostolemyfunny

I'm sorry you can't afford more counseling!  It is important to talk out your feelings w someone who can help.  Have you thought of checking out a church near you?  Many times they have free counseling and maybe you could do it via video like marco polo so it could be at a time convenient for you and then they could reply at a convenient time.  Also, about getting rid of negative thoughts this is what I found helped me:  Taking Ginseng and Magnesium help get rid of those sticky negative thoughts and emotions and also calm the mind body and spirit.  Yes they truly help a lot!  You need to take them regularly and give them time, they take a little time to get in system and straighten it out.   Also, getting outside, breathing deep the fresh air and touching the earth help ground us and get rid of anxiety.  Prayer, meditation and bible studies help.  Also, volunteering gets us away from our own problems and when we help others it helps us too.   Hope this is a solution for you as it was for me. 

So much help and tips! Thank u so much everyone. I’ve talked to my therapist about the price and they gave me a discount but it’s still too costly for me. But if things get out of hand I can always go back to her with that discount. At least there are many ways to get help aside from therapy. I’ll take note of all your answers. May we all be able to get out of this together.