I WILL quit Lexapro cold turkey

Today is Day 2 without Lexapro 10mg and I feel completely fine.

I have had enough of this drug (for now, anyway). I’ve been taking Lexapro 10mg for eight months, and it helped me a lot at first. It had a very positive effect on improving my depression. For a long period of time, I felt normal again - even somewhat happy on a daily basis, like I was back to my old self! However, after a while I noticed some negative side effects start to creep back in.

These days, I’m generally feeling unmotivated and tired pretty much all day. I often feel slightly detached and unemotional. The only times when I’ll feel extremely emotional is during my period. I’ve recently also began to put on weight quickly, despite not changing my diet/exercise routine. I walk every day, and jog sometimes too. I eat pretty healthily and I don’t really eat that much. Still, I’ve put on 7-8 kilos. I just find myself craving junk food/takeaway ALL the time, every day - this never used to happen to me! Further, this drug has decreased my sex drive, which upsets me, as this effects my ability to enjoy intimacy with my partner.

I do think Lexapro is an effective antidepressant, and I won’t deny that it helped me a lot. However, it’s no longer doing me any good and I want OUT. I am going to quit cold turkey - I know there might be bad withdrawal symptoms, but I’m willing to suffer through them if it means I can get this drug out of my body ASAP. I’m not telling my doctor right now. If things get too tough, then of course I’ll tell her, but for now I want to fight this on my own. In the past I have had periods where I’ve been off antidepressants, for quite a while, and I managed just fine.

Anyway, I’ll see how I go. Wish me luck.

Edited by sapphirerose