Donate Now Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Orangepastamachine

How much more beneficial is paxil for social anxiety when compared to other SSRIs?

Hello,  

I saw that paxil was specifically diagnosed for social anxiety rather than generalized anxiety like my last medication (citalopram) when browsing through a medication database. Does anyone here know if the benefits to social anxiety are significantly greater from paxil when compared to other SSRIs? I would think that any medication that targets the serotonin system would have the same effects on anxiety, so why would meds like paxil, zoloft, etc. specifically be used for social anxiety instead of just anxiety as a whole? 

I'm almost positive that my depression stems from my social anxiety, so I"m strongly considering switching to this medication

Each of us responds a bit differently to the medicines including the SSRI's.  They have slightly different chemical structures so certain SSRI's tend to have somewhat different response profiles.  For example, Luvox has the tendency to be somewhat more sedating like than, say, Prozac.  I'd talk with your doctor about what medicine he/she would recommend for social anxiety.  I can certainly understand why you'd be considering Paxil.