Sign in to follow this  
nomorecreative

How do I give up permanently my dream to make it into Hollywood?

How do I permanently give up my dream to make it into Hollywood as the creator of an animated series?

I suffer from major depressive disorder, but I now work full-time as a data entry clerk for the government. I am grateful to have a job to pay off student loans from art school. But I still have that desire to want to enter Hollywood and make it famous. It is easier for me to come up with cartoon ideas than it is to suppress my crazy dream to make it into famous-land. I don't want to continue my creative career anymore because of the stigma associated with Hollywood: famous people are rich and selfish and they act stupid and immature. 

I don't have much I can offer on this situation but I hope what I do know might help a little.

From what I've noticed fame tends to happen to people who are good at their craft/job or something that happens kind of randomly. Like, there's a need, or a niche and the person that comes along gets the attention for it.

I also don't have much life experience but if you really want to succeed at that dream you have to make sure you're putting steps towards it. Like if you want to be a famous artist, you practice everyday, take lessons, promote yourself etc.

So what you have to judge is how severe your depression is and how attainable your goal is in depression/while being depressed. For me, I have been told I would have been famous at something were it not for my depression. Unfortunately, I cannot alter the past and the decisions I make now create my future. You just have to try your best and if you're not super famous then you have to be ok with the fact that you did the best you could do. Please be easy on yourself.

It also helps to take stuff one step at a time. I tend to believe fame usually goes to those who put a lot of effort and work into a subject and it will come naturally if you are good or exceptional, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

Are there other fields that could use your imagination and creativity? Or is this the only dream you have? I tend to see dreaming of future possibilities (while having depression) as a balancing act - what I can do, I can do; what I can't, I can't. etc. All I know is to try my best and see what works out.

Edited by owlleef

A government job is just about the best thing to have for someone with mental illness since the government tends to be more accommodating, you'll get regular pay increases as long as you don't mess up bad, and there's quite a bit of job security so I definitely wouldn't give that up. Why was your dream to make it in Hollywood though? You can pursue your art as a hobby, make cartoons in your spare time and publish them on YouTube or other platforms and if people like them enough you will be able to make money using ad revenue and Patreon. If you end up making enough to survive on you can still choose to pursue it full time later on. 

I never gave up.  I tell everyone I gave up but deep down inside I have not. Keep hoping you will get better because I do.

I wouldn't say all famous people are immature and stupid... A lot of them have anxiety and depression (especially social anxiety) and they go to therapy and seek out treatments. My old doctor told me that he saw many people in that field who had those type of issues (of course he didn't give me names) but they do exist. A friend of mine plays in a band and has major social anxiety, he is afraid to seek out help.

I wouldn't give up if I was you. You never know what tomorrow might bring. you can always see if there is a local agency that offers classes for acting or how to get into the field..

If you seriously think "I want to become famous" is enough for you to succeed as the creator of a major animated series, then stick with government work. It's clear that you don't fully comprehend the extraordinary skillset, passion and perseverance required to become a leader in animation. Animators who work for major studios like Disney, Pixar, and Nickelodeon work their assess off as interns and contractors only AFTER they've built seriously impressive portfolios for themselves, on their own time, usually over years. Once they get a toe in the door as a sh*t paid contractor with zero benefits, they begin the grueling competitive process of proving their value and working their way up over the course of years to become an associate animator or illustrator in the company, if they're very lucky. Only then can they even consider applying for a senior or lead position, or even having the street credibility and portfolio to start their own studio. You think all these people are being driven by a desire for "fame"? No, no, no. Ha! They have to love what they do, not just love, but eat, drink, breathe and sweat what they do. If you don't feel that way about animation, and you aren't willing to put in the work, then you might want to consider a different career path.

I also work in government. My husband works in your field at a major studio, and I have many friends in major studios and I wouldn't trade positions with any of them. The workload and pressure on their shoulders is enough to drive anyone into a nervous breakdown, but what keeps them going is their passion for the art. If you don't have that passion then that's not your calling.

What I would tell you is that sometimes you have to let go of the safety and security of something safe and go for broke unless there's a way to do it from your present situation. The worst thing that could have happened to me was now at 60 is looking back and saying what if so I personally at least tried everything that was in my power to attempt or actually do. But ultimately it's up to you. I sincerely hope the best for you in whatever you decide. Good writing. 

Hollywood is not about talent, its about ticking boxes and virtue-signaling to the latest trends; I'll remain silent on the scandals, conspiracies and immoral sacrifices you have to give even for a minor role.

It's a lost cause, especially now where its all about who you know; I am sure you are more talented than these pathetic excuses for actors we see today because you actually put in WORK while all they did is 1) Know/be related to someone 2) Partake in the aforementioned sacrifices 3) Sell out to fit an agenda that's popular right now. They prefer it to be a combo of all of the above.

Finally, they stifle your creativity and censor your ideas if they don't fit the above so either way, you won't get to live out your dream and show your art to the world. Imagine working extra hard on something only for it to be censored and deemed "inappropriate" for vague reasons.

P.S I am a creator myself; I write and my work is not G-rated nor does it follow any trends. Hence, doesn't make that much. I do wish you the best of luck that you DO find someone outside of that corrupt cell pool of elitism/Hollywood; who will allow you to flourish and prosper.

I'm gonna walk a tightrope here b/c I recognize I may be treading on a dream.

First, good for you that you're in a stable government position where you can meet your loan obligations.  And good for you that you're sticking with it, despite it not being your cup of tea.

otoh, and perhaps I've misunderstood, "being famous" is not, imo, a sufficient reason to pursue animation.  As someone mentioned, your craft has to be in your blood.  If I may, I'll draw on my own experience.  Television production was always in my blood.  It took years, additional specialized education for which I paid out of my own pocket, several uncomfortable moves and employment missteps before I attained enough of a professional reputation to be a sought-after commodity...on the East Coast.  "Being famous" was about the last thing on my mind.  Working on juicy projects that challenged my creativity was.  As far as compromise, on shorter pieces there would usually be two versions:  the client's version...and my version which went on the demo reel.

I should also mention the stress pummeled me into the worst depressions of my life at that time, for which it became an absolute necessity for me to seek out help.

My advice you could find another hobby or you could just leap and follow your dreams? Idk just me? Lol idk I just think life is all about being the best you. I mean if you enjoy the finically stable life but not really doing what you love then ok sure, but if you go after for what you truly strive for then HELL YES. Please don’t let depression limit your experience in life! Share your creativity with the world

Maybe you can try in a more independent project, nowadays are lot of opportunities to present independent works, festivals, and now with the media its easier to expand, but, of course the project have to be good. Try to get in touch with independent people, or with any who is working on this, dont know, just an idea.