Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Tungsten Aromatics

Deleting/hiding content   01/26/2018

Members please note: We can not hide or delete posts/threads, content in blogs or images. This also applies to gallerys and blogs. This is also against Df's ToS. Please be mindful about what you post and remember that once you hit send, it will be viewable on the internet.
    • Lindsay

Donate Now   02/09/2018

Give the gift that will keep on giving.     Donate Now  Thank you so much and have a healthy, happy and wonderful year ahead!   Forum Admin Founder/Owner of DepressionForums.org Lindsay Reday Forum Administrator, Founder LGJ CEO/Director, Owner of DepressionForums.org Tungsten Aromatics Senior Administrator 20YearsandCounting Assistant Administrator/Mod Coodinator KidSurvivor2011 Moderator/Administrator Natasha1 Senior Moderator We are in search of an In-House Administrative Technician/Webmaster - Apply to Forum Admin                              
bliizard

Effexor 300mg vs Caffeine ??

3 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

I am curently on 225mg XR Venlafaxine. The doctor wants me to go on 300mg so I am going to give this a try but I have a question which is puzzling me. 

Caffeine raises dopamine and blocks adenosine and is a stimulant

Venlafaxine / Effexor also raises dopamine

Is the effect the same ?

Does Venlafaxine have the same effect as caffeine at 300mg ?

Or does it feel different ?

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Hi Bliizard -- There's various issues with this situation.

Firstly, Venlafaxine is an SNRI anti depressant where caffeine isn't. Venlafaxine blocks the NE and 5 HT transporters in the brain with a half life of about 10 hours.

Caffeine has a half life of a few hours and the effects of caffeine start to reduce within an hour, hence why coffee drinkers drink regular cups of coffee, where Venlafaxine is one to two tablets a day.

Adenosine is an oxygen transporter and caffeine has no effect on the blockage or release of this transporter.

So, in answer to your question, caffeine will not have the same effects as Venlafaxine.

Tungsten.

Posted · Report post  

In my experience, any SSRI or SNRI will actually reduce dopamine activity because of the overall percentage increase of serotonin and norepinephrine which then begin acting at the receptor sites normally occupied by dopamine.

Basically, dopamine gets drowned out / diluted.