Sign in to follow this  
gandolfication

Depression & Work Forum?

Does DF have a focused Depression & Work forum or thread?

I know there's the Water Cooler, but that's not really what it is.

I feel like we should start one.  Or, does anyone know of another site with a forum/thread focused on the overlap between depression and work/career?

I feel like for so many of us (myself definitely included), these two things are almost inextricable.  One affects the other and the other affects the one.  In my own case, I am virtually certain that if not for struggling in my work, career, sense of self-worth, competency, confidence, stability and hope for the future - all directly flowing from work, I would not be anywhere nearly as seriously depressed as I am.  And concomitantly, if not for several features of my depression--namely anxiety, deficits in attention, memory, etc.--I would not have had the downward career spiral in quite the same level of destructive way that I have.  And my personal and family relationships would almost certainly be better as well.

I think resources, expertise, and even 'ministry' addressing this interplay between depression and work performance is grossly underdeveloped in the U.S., and the U.S. is also at the forefront in terms of people being deeply indoctrinated into believing that their very worth as a person derives from their work performance and career track record.  This can be addressed by therapy, CBT, and awakening, but our structures are all set up to reinforce this, and financial survival and stability depends on it.

It is one key area I would like to work in and contribute to, but I have found it exceedingly difficult to find or get in with an existing organization addressing it, and I'm in no position to start one right now.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, leads, resources, organizations, threads, etc, anyone out here might have, since I know so many of us struggle primarily in just this kind of way.  And I think depression and college/school is just a precursor in many cases because unfortunately the work world becomes substantially MORE challenging and competitive than even rigorous school experiences.

So I put this out into the universe again here.....

Thanks!

Well, I didn't see this coming.

I was let go today.  In kind of a humiliating way.  I was dumfounded.  I'm done with anything close to corporate sales ore recruiting.  Its become a game of lies and distortions to see who can be the most conniving.  This is celebrated as shrewd, when usually it is just dishonest.  To that extent they were right to fire me, as I was not complying these parts of their 'process.'

I was the 4th recruitimg manager in a month on a team of 9 to leave.

They walked me out the back door, line I was going to streak through the office or something.  I took it as consciousness of shame about their own actions.  I'll have time to internalize and deal with this later.

Tonight I'm just going to try to enjoy the relief.

53 minutes ago, gandolfication said:

Tonight I'm just going to try to enjoy the relief.

Regardless of how it ends and what comes next, it has to feel good to be done with a job that made you miserable. Best wishes for the next step forward, everything will fall into place in time.

1 hour ago, velvetpuddles said:

Regardless of how it ends and what comes next, it has to feel good to be done with a job that made you miserable. Best wishes for the next step forward, everything will fall into place in time.

Thanks

I hope so

I lost my recruiting (really sales) job Friday, unexpectedly.

I just feel done now.  Everything's just spiraled so far and for so long, and now this present crisis again.
I just don't have what it takes any more.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:33 PM, Misanthrop said:

g, didn't you already created a thread like this last year?

Unless you're specifically addressing working in the U.S. for depression sufferers

Oh yah, you're right I did.  I'd forgotten, and I guess I was thinking of a permanent forum link.  Ether will do, come to think about it, and I guess there are now both.  No, it wasn't U.S.-specific.

I wrote the request, and then about an hour or so later, I was fired unexpectedly, so my whole world is spiraling.

1 hour ago, gandolfication said:

I just feel done now.  Everything's just spiraled so far and for so long, and now this present crisis again.

You do have what it takes! Look how strong you've been through everything. The bipolar meds fog my cognition/memory so much, so sorry for asking dumb questions. Didn't you consider moving back to where you have other family?  Even having talked about a job at a university there?  I really wish I had a magic wand and could fix everything. 

4 hours ago, uncertain1 said:

You do have what it takes! Look how strong you've been through everything. The bipolar meds fog my cognition/memory so much, so sorry for asking dumb questions. Didn't you consider moving back to where you have other family?  Even having talked about a job at a university there?  I really wish I had a magic wand and could fix everything. 

Uncertain,

Your memory is impressive.   We did strongly consider moving back home to Ohio around December/January.  Besides the hassle, when I started to search for jobs, I realized why I moved out in the first place - they're pretty bad back home.

I would love to work for a university even if not in a teaching position.  I have applied a good deal in the past, and never ever had any real progress.  Anything is possible, and I aim and intend to adopt an attitude of not quitting. Even though that is just precisely how I feel right now.  Quitting permanently.

12 hours ago, uncertain1 said:

Please don't quit. Being selfish, but you have helped me and I so admire how you express yourself. 

Thank you.

Would that I could play this on a loop in my ear, a thousand times a day.

It is exactly the kind of thing that motivates and inspires me.

I guess if I am to continue hoping for the best for you and others here (as I always have), it bids me to keep going too.

Thank you.

On 3/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, gandolfication said:

OMG. I'm really sorry, my friend. Getting out of that place will turn into a "Godsend", I think. The situation there sounded horrible.

From my perspective, you *do* have what it takes--to be a decent human being, holding down a position in a place with good ethics. This place you were at most definitely has bad ethics. You can and will do far better. I'm certain of that.

I am very sorry to hear this, gandolf, but it sounds like it was a s.h.i.t.t.y company and situation, and as cliched as it sounds, when one door closes, another one usually opens. 

You'll find something else, something much better!

Edited by LonelyHiker

6 hours ago, Misanthrop said:

Sadly that's all we DF members can do. What's lacking generally is pdocs who can also double as career counselors, able to suggest suitable jobs for sufferers.

g, have you tried applying for government jobs? They usually don't fire people for performance, unless its a screw up that could possibly get one arrested. Plus the employee benefits beat anything found in 97% of what the private sector offers

Misanthrop,

As usual your gift for pithiness precedes you.

Interesting.  I've usually thought we desperately need hybrid therapist-career-employment counselors, but here you've combined it with pdocs.  

High on my to do list is finishing my government resume, where for federal purposes, I now have a schedule A disability determination letter.

I would find this useful, too. I don't know what members here could offer in terms of solutions, but even to have honest conversations on it would be a relief.

I left a career because it was isolating and had poor work-life balance that worsened my depression. Now I'm so lost in the sea of "do what you're passionate about" advice. I'm not passionate about anything to the point where I want to pursue it as my One Big Life Goal.

I agree that there should be a separate forum for the relation between work and depression. I think most of the problems in this society are caused by capitalism. Imagine how happier you would be if you didn't have to worry about earning enough money to feed yourself or pay the bills; affording healthcare or education; being unemployed and unable to find a job; working a job that makes you miserable or doesn't pay a living wage. All of these things cause enormous stress which spills over to our relationships and private life. All of it could be easily fixed. The human civilization has enough resources and technology right now to enable everyone a comfortable life, working just 15-hour a week but because the wealth is so unevenly distributed (in America, wealth inequality is reaching the levels of the Gilded Age) most people suffer trying to make ends meet while the few mega-rich accumulate more wealth than they could spend in a thousand lifetimes. It's sickening.

I agree that there should be a permanent Depression & Work section.

It's a major issue.

And depression-related unemployment and disability themes could go in there too.

Is there anything we could do to convince Forum Management? : )

Votes? Bribes? Chocolate?

2 minutes ago, Sophy said:

I agree that there should be a permanent Depression & Work section.

It's a major issue.

And depression-related unemployment and disability themes could go in there too.

Is there anything we could do to convince Forum Management? : )

Votes? Bribes? Chocolate?

As i understand (superusers can correct me if i am wrong) we can have only so many "rooms on the site."

My suggestion would be to use the Depression Central room and keep responding to the same thread.

If you have a "branch" to the discussion, you can start another thread to talk about it there.

In essence this will do the same thing really. I dont personally see there being tons of threads that would warrant its own room although i could be wrong.

@Tungsten Aromatics

Oh, I guess if it's a sheer lack of space, then that's a pretty good argument : )

I think if there *was* a space for it, it would fill VERY quickly, but that's just my guess.

On a work-n-depression related note - I have my last day of work before easter break tomorrow (I like work, but I like holidays too, so yay!) and I need to be preparing tons of work for it, but I'm in tooootal procrastination mode right now, reading every post on DF, instead of  d.o.i.n.g. the prep work I  s.h.o.u.l.d. be doing....  : P

OK, I'm still hanging by (this) thread. Hahaha.

I agree with @virvellian...we are expected to run ever faster on the hamster wheel in order to merely survive. Most of us are no different from the "serfs" we read about in history. I consider myself to be a wage slave and just thinking about losing "health care" coverage sends my anxiety through the roof. Our deductibles keep going up, as does the cost of clinic visits.

Anyway...work is far and away the number one cause of stress for me, and I'm losing ground to the ever-increasing costs-of-living.

Edited by JD4010