• It affected your ability to take phone calls, but only those by strangers
    • It affected your ability to make phone calls, but only to strangers
    • It affected your ability to take ALL phone calls
    • It affected your ability to make ANY phone calls
  2. 2. Which is worse for you?

• Receiving a phone call
    • Making a phone call
    • Both equally bad

I never was a big fan of the telephone. I make calls and text friends and whatnot, but i dont answer it if i dont recognize the number or if it is a blocked call. this is partially because i dont want some army rep calling me asking me where i've been because i'm kinda awol from the guard right now, and partially because i really don't feel like dealing with people at all. well i didnt pay my bill for 2 months, so now the service is cut off. talk about a relief. now people cant call me. i never was a big fan of facebook either, and my friends and family live in a different city so i'm pretty much incommunicado right now. i love it.

I really don't like using phones. I just use e-mail or Internet. Occasionally, obviously I have to use the phone and I loathe it.

Luckily in my job, everything is done on line and via e-mail and I don't ever see or speak to my customers.

People call me on my cell phone and I never answer, as I don't hear it, as I always listen to my ipod while I am working. Lol

Trace

I never was a big fan of the telephone. I make calls and text friends and whatnot, but i dont answer it if i dont recognize the number or if it is a blocked call.

I'm glad there is a thread like this, and that I can see I'm not alone and that it's not uncommon.

I feel the same way as Blue_Envy. I'm in the long distance relationship, so I'm (obviously) not scared of being on the phone with my boyfriend - it's the highlight of my day. I can talk to family and friends if I'm not worried about them being angry or upset (with me or others).

However, the talking with strangers - no no, that's just too scary. I was working a job where I was the receptionist/order desk and was taking ALL the phone calls for the office, and having to call customers (and not always to tell them something they want to hear) ... it caused me so much anxiety sometimes ... I just thought I was weird or something was wrong. No one had ever told me otherwise.

i never liked making a phone call.

i don't even like ordering pizza or calling some company for help. it's difficult since my mom keeps getting mad about how i don't just go and call people. like if the cable is out, she wants me to call the cable company and i always get so nervous. i don't know why, but yeah...phone anxiety. i'm slowly trying to get over it by practicing a lot.

but i like to text rather than talk on the phone and my friends all know this. i only call people if it's important. just talking to strangers in general is scary for me.

Reading a lot of these responses, I totally don't feel alone anymore. I used to talk for HOURS in high school, but between the growth of the internet and my anxiety building into my adulthood, I've started to LOATHE the phone! I can't call for delivery (dominospizza.com is my friend), I can't call my out of state friends... heck I can't even receive calls from them anymore. I don't know what to do with myself anymore with the phone. I'd rather text someone rather than call them and talk. Something about thinking about my responses prior to spitting them out into the air (might have to do with social anxiety, then again I was only diagnosed with General Anxiety).

Thank you for putting up this post. It's better to know I'm not the only "crazy" one... LOL ^_^;;

Ugh, I hate talking on the phone! The only people who I can talk to on the phone and feel totally comfortable with are my parents...other than that, I'm usually a mess when I have to talk on the phone. I'm usually shaking by the time the conversation is over, and if it was a particularly stressful conversation I end up crying after it's over.

Hi all, this is my first poll. As the title says, it is on phone anxiety, which affects me personally. I was wondering how many share the same problem, and also to what extent, so I made this poll. You're welcome to elaborate/give any suggestions.

I don't have a problem answering the phone if i know who it is, i have a problem dialing on the phone! I'm afraid to even call my closest friends fearing i'm going to bother them or call at a wrong time. I don't call unless i know someone has asked me to. I text and email, that's comfortable to me, i can hide behind a screen!

Jenn

This is my first post and wow it's nice to know I'm not alone though I don't feel any better, fear of using the phone is literally taking over my life at the moment and I don't know what to do about it, I recently changed departments at work and part of my new role is to phone clients reminding them their payments are overdue. I would rather visit these people personally that use the phone! I might have to do this tomorrow for the first time sat in a quiet room with everyone listening to me. I am convinced it's going to be the end of me! I just can't tell myself that It'll be ok, this is probably my lowest point. There are no words for how this makes me feel, ashamed is one of them I guess.

Jean

I don't think I suffer from phone anxiety even though I don't like to talk on the phone very long. I only answer if I recognize who the individaul is. Its a nuisance to just talk on the phone for hours at a time. I see people doing this.

I can completely relate to that anxiety. I literally will not look at the thing at all, turn the sound off, and then the battery dies and I don't know that because I'm not looking at it or even thinking about it, in the slightest. It is almost like anxiety, but in a strange numb way I don't get with other things (I'm usually quite the opposite and absolutely panic when anxious). )It can stay that way for an unhealthy period of time. Ultimately, l get a barrage of frantic emails asking me if I am "okay" with "okay" really meaning "alive." I promise to be better about the telephone and am for a while.

The worst part is, I have often thought, upon reflection, they should have sent that email sooner. Wow, it has been a while, I will realize. And then, through a vey obviously depressive lens/illogical thought, will be quite disparaging toward myself. I have no friends. No one cares about me. Kind of pathetic, but a part of how my depression functions.

Read again. Read again. Read again, in perpetuity.

And people are still asking me if I'm planning on getting text messaging. Pretty much instructing me that I need to get text messaging because it is inconvenient for them. I kind of love that.

You're definitely not the only one. I am completely phone, door bell, knocking, and any type of "is there anybody in there?" sound phobic when suffering from acute depression and anxiety. I can see why they connect, but it isn't great. I find Klonopin really helps me function on the regular level

I absolutely hate the phone. When I was a teenager and I needed to call someone to cover a shift at work... it took me almost an hour. I would pick up the receiver, dial the number and hang up. over and over and over. I learned how to deal with it a little better and was doing okay until I got into trouble with my credit card. I couldn't call them because the anxiety kicked up over it, so they would call me. I tend to avoid confrontations in any kind of situation, so that coupled with a fear of the phone did not really work out well for me. I'm in debt now and my credit score is a disaster. More recently, I (for god knows what reason) took a job in a call center. I figured it'd be a good way to challenge my anxiety head-on. Whoops. Huge mistake. My anxiety spiked and I stopped going into work and lost my job. I was working for a mental health insurance company and it drained me completely. I lasted there from May until last month. In the meantime, I hadn't spoken to my mother since July. She hasn't tried to call me at all because she's stubborn and stews over things, so now she's causing me anxiety because i know she's p***** and I physically can't deal with talking to her. Such a mess...

thats how i always know when im about to take a nosedive......im terrified of the phone,i cant call people and i cant bear it when it rings,i hide in my bed and wait for it to stop!!!

on the occasions i do use to to call strangers(hairdressers etc)i just stutter and cant get my words out!!sooo embarassing!!!!

i have a major phone phobia too...if i'm in a good mood, sometimes, i act normal when answering, but i never call strangers, if i really have to, i tell my mom to do it for me or if i really have to do it myself i just freak out, i press the numbers and im having panic attaks and then i just don't call anymore, i can't do it...if i do, most of the times i also can't get my words out and i stutter and i feel like a freak, it's so hard, i want to speak and i can't....and i also hate it when it rings, when it starts ringing, my heart rate raises and i wish i would be like everyone else...usually i'm only comfortable when calling my mom and close friends that i fell very comfortable with, but sometimes i have days when i can do it like everyone else, it changes depending on mood or the point in my life where i am, but it bothers me so much because i don't know when it will strike again...but i do have selective mutism episodes from time to time and social phobia and stuff,but usually i can control it, but on the phone it's just too hard..i just panic panic panic

thats how i always know when im about to take a nosedive......im terrified of the phone,i cant call people and i cant bear it when it rings,i hide in my bed and wait for it to stop!!!

on the occasions i do use to to call strangers(hairdressers etc)i just stutter and cant get my words out!!sooo embarassing!!!!

i have a major phone phobia too...if i'm in a good mood, sometimes, i act normal when answering, but i never call strangers, if i really have to, i tell my mom to do it for me or if i really have to do it myself i just freak out, i press the numbers and im having panic attaks and then i just don't call anymore, i can't do it...if i do, most of the times i also can't get my words out and i stutter and i feel like a freak, it's so hard, i want to speak and i can't....and i also hate it when it rings, when it starts ringing, my heart rate raises and i wish i would be like everyone else...usually i'm only comfortable when calling my mom and close friends that i fell very comfortable with, but sometimes i have days when i can do it like everyone else, it changes depending on mood or the point in my life where i am, but it bothers me so much because i don't know when it will strike again...but i do have selective mutism episodes from time to time and social phobia and stuff,but usually i can control it, but on the phone it's just too hard..i just panic panic panic

Hi sunsun,

As you can see, you're not alone. SO many of us suffer phone anxiety, including me. My experiences mirror your very closely. Although I don't have a magic answer - oh, how I wish I did! - I just wanted to tell you that there a people here who totally understand what you go through.

:hugs:

~Bean

I'm surprised to see I'm not alone. Sometimes I'll really WANT to talk to someone, like a friend, but I can't bring myself to make the call. I'm afraid I'd bother the person or that they aren't home. Or maybe I'd sound stupid and won't know what to talk about. It's not so bad when they call me though. Sometimes I'll be hoping for them to call me, just so I won't have to call them.

I'm much better in a work environment, when it's about work and not personal stuff.

I'm extremely terrible with the phone. You can say as soon as the phone rings I panic and start shaking bit by bit to pick up that darn phone. I hate myself cause sometimes I get really jealous of friends who are able to talk over the phone for long periods of time and have a good time when I know the only kind of phone call I'm not afraid of taking is the telemarketer kind... just cause I hang up as soon as they start speaking.

My friends all think I'm weird cause they can tell that I DESPERATELY try my hardest to get off the phone. Of course half the time they end up concluding that I just don't have enough appreciation to bother talking with them. Which is not the case cause it's not like I can control how I feel in the first place...

I HATE making phone calls and would do ANYTHING to avoid doing that. The worst is the kind when my parents make me call to ask for information cause my anxiety will simply block out anything people say to me over the phone anyway. I get so scared that nothing seems to get through to me!

Don't even get me started on leaving voice messages... don't even want to remember how embarrassing they were...

Edited by jennifafa

I hate having to use the phone to talk to a stranger mostly because I don't wanna sound stupid and I always have a hard time saying good and a few years ago I even had a hard time saying bye to people so sometimes I'd just hang up the phone or just put it down and wait for them to think I fell asleep or something. If had to make a phone call I'd always see if someone else could do it first before I'd have to...

it is so nice to see that i am not the only person in the world that has phone anxiety. i have suffered with this for the last 10 years and my husband, family, and friends think i am nuts because i avoid the phone. i have found that i don't mind texting. i only answer some calls from people i know. i feel bad about it but i just can't make myself pick up that phone.

If my phone rings in the house I literally hide from it. Same goes for the door, I hear the phone or door and under the desk or in the closet I go. I think that realization means mayhaps I will find the coping mechanisms to overcome it, I hope :lookaround:

Oh god mking phone calls is awful for me. I end up putting it off or dialing the number several times while trying to force myself to calm down before I finally hit send. The only people I'm good with are my parents, my ex husband when he has my daughter and people who I can trust that yes they DO want to talk to me. The worst is making a phone call to something like a doctors office or some busness. I have no clue how I'm going to get enough guts to makea phone call to a doctor when I become a nurse :shocked:

I have "phone anxiety" BAD. Many times that i get a phone call, i become instantly filled with fear. If its a number that I don't know, that fear and panic stays with me for a while after the call. And even if its someone i know, i will sometimes still avoid the call and then send them a text instead. I often put off listening to my voicemails for days at a time.

When it comes to making calls, i usually feel ok. However, i think subconsciously i still am worried though, because i put off making phone calls for weeks if possible.

One of the main factors in why i developed anxiety is my job. I work in a call centre and had a bit of a breakdown over a year ago . Everyday i try and deal with abuse from people and i find it very difficult. If there was more options available to me at the moment i would have left long ago. Like everyone i have good and bad days but i totally understand how it can contribute to anxiety . Trying to deal with people over the phone then worrying about fellow workers looking at me as my eyes well up with tears is very embarassing and frustrating . When i am home i get jumpy even when my own phone rings

I believe the reason I hate the phone is cause so many years ago, I wasted all my time on the phone to several of my ex boyfriends and none of them worked out in the future. Now I have this phobia of staying on the phone too long cause I get so scared and nervous, I suddenly don't know what to say. Then when I try to think of something to say, I usually come out saying like, so uhh when do you wanna hang out? Told my boyfriend about my phobia and how I'm not much of a phone person. Only time I feel okay about it if I was talking to my boyfriend or a trustworthy friend.

Edited by FlyLikeAButterfly

I hate the phone ring. It scares me.

I hate to answer the phone like if I am going to recive bad news.

In some cases my voice faint and my heart beats accelerate, and I feel out of breath.

Most of the time I don't reply

But eventualy I call back later for some of the calls.

I also have a hard time with the phone. Particularly making phone calls, especially to people I don't know, but even with people I do know. Once I'm on the phone, I'm ok for the most part.