Insomnia

Zuzushi23

Hey there, I want this post to be about sharing your experiences with insomnia or any other sleeping issues. You can be open as far as how you're feeling, how you've had the insomnia or your sleeping issue experiences. 

As for me, I haven't slept in 2 days...lol. but insomnia is rough especially as a woman and I got it because of stress and a bit of depression. I've had bad insomnia for 8 months now and I would either not sleep or get 1-3 hours of sleep per night...its a struggle. So yeah, this topic is something for everyone so feel free to share.

you havent slept for 48 hours straight ? or you just havent had real good sleep ? sometimes people say they havent slept in days but they really mean they havent had good sleep or slept for above 3 hours straight lol. I know ive had days where I dont sleep for the night and then I cant go back to sleep until the following night. I have always had issues with sleep. But thats mostly because thats when my mind is the loudest and with least distractions around me. I have a lot of existential crisis at night so that really disrupts my sleep. I also somehow am afraid of sleeping sometimes idk lol and probably that badly from habbit always prevent me from sleeping.  But over all if im lucky I can have a goodnight of sleep where I sleep 6 hours and it helps make me feel better. But insomnia sucks :( it really messes with ones health 

I have the racing brain syndrome. I cannot shut it down when I'm trying to sleep. I have tried all of the techniques that are recommended, to no avail. I've suffered from insomnia for decades. It can really make the work day SUCK.

3 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

I have the racing brain syndrome. I cannot shut it down when I'm trying to sleep.

Neil de Grasse Tyson is my savior! When I can't calm my mind I put on a documentary that he narrates and his soothing voice puts me to sleep, lol. White noise also helps to some degree, I just need some external stimuli to focus on. 

1 minute ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Neil de Grasse Tyson is my savior! When I can't calm my mind I put on a documentary that he narrates and his soothing voice puts me to sleep, lol. White noise also helps to some degree, I just need some external stimuli to focus on. 

Yeah, the classic fan trick kinda sorta works for me. That's my favorite white noise. I imagine that I'm flying in an old prop plane while listening to the noise of those blades chopping through the air. Even in the depth of winter I will use the fan to help ease me off into la-la land.

4 minutes ago, June322 said:

You guys are wild, Neil de Grasse Tyson  just amps up my existential crisis lol  especially at night 

lol, it does make you question life. The message I get from him is that because we're so insignificant it's important to make the most out of life, it's the only one we have so it's important not to waste it even if much of it is not exactly pleasurable. 

I think I just didn't have good sleep. I've dealt with not being able to sleep for a good amount. But there are times where I would never be able to sleep. Sometimes my mind feels tired and then once I lay down and then my mind stays energetic, which is something that I don't like. There are some natural ways of course to calm the insomnia down. Sometimes we may be low on certain vitamins and that can be why we've been having bad sleeping issues.

For the past 3-4 weeks, I've been sleeping for, like 3 hours off and on every night. It started with a life stressor and continued through this depressive episode. When I started on Zoloft about 2-3 weeks in, it got a lot worse. I was tired through the day but not really sleepy...like I was in a fog all day.

Somehow, a few days ago, that did a complete 180, and I started getting sleepy for bed at, like, 8 in the evening and sleeping in way passed my alarms. Plus napping for a couple hours on the weekends. 

I don't even know what's going on. And here it is, just after 11pm, and I'm not even remotely tired.

It's so frustrating! I just want a normal, predictable sleep schedule again! Ugh.

15 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

lol, it does make you question life. The message I get from him is that because we're so insignificant it's important to make the most out of life, it's the only one we have so it's important not to waste it even if much of it is not exactly pleasurable. 

Thats a really positive and healthy way to look at it! 

I guess its just my own paranoia and ocd but the thing that gets to me is when he talks about how he thinks were living in a simulation and everything around us is essentially fake and were living in some advanced civilization video game that they created. Now thats the crap where it starts making me freak out a little 

47 minutes ago, June322 said:

Now thats the crap where it starts making me freak out a little 

I don't quite buy into the whole ancestor simulation thing but even if it were the case, would it matter? It wouldn't impact your thoughts and experiences so either way it's all about making the best of the time you have available to you.

Even more mind-boggling are the different multiverse hypotheses, particularly the one where every decision leads to its own universe resulting in you having countless Doppelgänger :upside:

@June322 for me my horrible insomnia has been going on for 8 months now(since late June 2017) and I'm not in a good state this morning. I'm a bit sad and crying because I havent been able to sleep a good amount of hours this whole weekend and last night I didn't sleep at all. Its so frustrating. During the 8 months I would sleep no hours or 1-3 hours a night and there would be times where I would sleep well for a week or a week and a half and then it would go back to not sleeping or getting very little sleep. I have took things like zzquil almost everyday during the first 2 weeks the insomnia happened(During July of 2017) almost every day and then I tried doing Melatonin for a couple of days recently and it didn't help and I also have been taking Advil PM for a bit and it helps at times and it doesnt at other times.  I'm in college also. Having insomnia is very difficult to get a good amount of sleep.

@Zuzushi23, if Advil PM helps some of the time I would recommend using a different drug containing Diphenhydramine which is the active ingredient that helps you sleep.  Benadryl for example has the same active ingredient without the Ibuprofen and is a LOT cheaper, for sleep you'll want to take 50 - 75mg. In the US the therapeutic dose is 50mg but in some other countries 75mg is normal so taking a bit more if it helps isn't a big deal as long as you're otherwise healthy (do be careful if you have a heart condition or hypertension though).  

Another option would be asking your doctor about prescribing Remeron or Trazodone. They're both antidepressants but can also be used to treat insomnia, Remeron in low doses can really knock you out and is highly effective.  Trazadone isn't too bad either, depends on the dose you need to put you to sleep. I required a very high one so I ended up feeling to groggy in the morning.

Short-term you could also ask for Ambien, just keep in mind that it's only for occasional since you can build tolerance fairly quickly so it's best to only use it when you absolutely need it. 

On 2/25/2018 at 5:35 AM, lonelyforeigner said:

I don't quite buy into the whole ancestor simulation thing but even if it were the case, would it matter? It wouldn't impact your thoughts and experiences so either way it's all about making the best of the time you have available to you.

Even more mind-boggling are the different multiverse hypotheses, particularly the one where every decision leads to its own universe resulting in you having countless Doppelgänger :upside:

That sometimes calms me down when im freaking out about it and then I tell someone and their like all nonchalant about it lol . I guess my fear is over thinking it and loosing sight of our current reality. But I guess I just have to stop overthinking all of it 

Yesss I think a lot about the multiverse hypotheses too!! sometimes I think that certain repeated dreams that we sometimes have  of us living casually in another world is a window to a Doppelganger in another universe. I dont really think that but its a thought lol 

On 2/25/2018 at 10:23 AM, Zuzushi23 said:

@June322 for me my horrible insomnia has been going on for 8 months now(since late June 2017) and I'm not in a good state this morning. I'm a bit sad and crying because I havent been able to sleep a good amount of hours this whole weekend and last night I didn't sleep at all. Its so frustrating. During the 8 months I would sleep no hours or 1-3 hours a night and there would be times where I would sleep well for a week or a week and a half and then it would go back to not sleeping or getting very little sleep. I have took things like zzquil almost everyday during the first 2 weeks the insomnia happened(During July of 2017) almost every day and then I tried doing Melatonin for a couple of days recently and it didn't help and I also have been taking Advil PM for a bit and it helps at times and it doesnt at other times.  I'm in college also. Having insomnia is very difficult to get a good amount of sleep.

Wow Zuzushi23 thats horrible. I can relate. Im also in college and ive been on the verge of fainting at school 3 times because of lack of sleep. Ive blacked out a little and have to go to the bathroom and splash cold water to stay awake and drink lots of water too. Its rough because sleep is unfortunately not an option. its something we need and messes with our entire system when were deprived of it. I haven't tried zzquil! But ive tried melatonin 

I used to sleep only every other day. It went on like that for a couple of years. Now I can only sleep with the help of meds. If I don`t take any meds I don`t get any sleep.That`s just the way it`s been for years. I`ve actually gone three days with only about 4 hours of sleep if that. My mind races at night it actually takes me hours to fall asleep even with meds. It`s very frustrating.

@Lady Mozzer @June322for me, I have tried things like Advil PM, ZzzQuil to help me sleep. Now it doesnt help me anymore. I have had bad sleep this week and it makes me sad or depressed a bit because of the fact that I can't sleep or is not able to get a good night worth of rest. Sometimes my body would feel tired but my brain is not able to shut off. If I'm lucky, there would be a week or week and a half where I would sleep well like a baby but the vast majority of the time it would be 1-3 hours of sleep or no sleep at all. 

I don't think what I have actually qualifies as insomnia, because it's only a problem at night. If I let myself, I could sleep all day...and sometimes do! But at night, even if I've been up most of the day, I just have problems falling asleep and staying asleep. I just can't relax when it's dark out. Why am I like this?  Maybe because it's easier to sleep when I have the whole bed to myself and can have whatever light and/or TV on, which I can't do when I'm sleeping in bed with my husband at night. 

Edited by evalynn

It's creeping back. I had one good-ish week, but I'm having trouble sleeping again. Can't fall asleep until around 2, and for some reason I always wake up completely at 4, which is really annoying because I usually get up at 7 for work. I just turn the TV on and eventually I can get another hour or so of sleep before work.

Does anyone else tend to get headaches in the morning when they're short on sleep?

I also clench my jaw and grind my teeth when sleeping. I'm sure that contributes to the headaches. I end up chomping on the inside of my cheek so it hurts all day.

Sleep used to be such a wonderful thing! I looked forward to it every day. Now I'm just wondering what new sort of hell sleep will bring me every night.