trying to stop drinking

lackluster

Hi Lackluster,

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time with giving up alcohol.  It is surely one of the toughest battles that a human being can engage in.  Please give yourself credit for tying.  That is very heroic. 

The fact that you have posted your experiences here on the Forums helps me and countless readers of the these Forums . . . helps us feel less alone with our struggles and that is such a wonderful gift for one person to give another who is suffering. 

Some of us here live day to day.  The honesty and sincerity of your writing helps us to go on and helps us to keep going.  That is a life saving gift.  Saving lives is not just about some single history-making feat of heroism.  Saving lives is perhaps even more heroic when it goes on quietly and behind the scenes

I have sometimes been in a real dark place and in a real bad way and reading something here has helped saved my life.  It might be just a heartfelt post where no advice is given, but just honest thoughts and feelings.

Surviving great difficulties is one of the highest forms of greatness.  To me you are a person of stature and nobility, someone I can only look up to.  You did a great thing today with your post and I thank you for myself and for others here.

On a very personal note,   I was feeling very low today and you helped me.  Thank-you.  I wish you only good things! 

- epictetus

I tried to quit a million times myself.  What keeps me sober now is diet, exercise and support from others that struggle.  I also had a lot of issues I had to work through to get and stay sober.  I am always here to talk if you need to.  Just send me a message.

With depression there is a tendency to fill the emptiness.

Alcohol is just one way.

My approach is to accept the deep, dark emptiness and put it to use.

My depression is a secret, temporary hideaway.

Every day I must be vigilant and keep my back metaphorically turned away from the abyss.

We are all here to help each other from getting lost inside of ourselves.

6 hours ago, lackluster said:

Thanks for all the responses. I try to make an effort everyday to quit but always end up drinking, even as i write this right now. Its just frustrating. I last only like 2 days then the anxiety gets so bad i end up caving in and buying another bottle.

I used to be the same way until I started walking and running instead of drinking.  Believe me it works.  Cravings are a suggestion by brain that it felt solved the problem before.  It doesn't even mean we want it.  The brain feels it needs it.  If you know you drink because of anxiety stop and think of other options that are healthier to try before drinking.

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

I used to be the same way until I started walking and running instead of drinking.  Believe me it works.  Cravings are a suggestion by brain that it felt solved the problem before.  It doesn't even mean we want it.  The brain feels it needs it.  If you know you drink because of anxiety stop and think of other options that are healthier to try before drinking.

Walking and running are lightyears better than drinking.