The purpose of life? I don't know...

MineCoast

A lot has drastic changes has happened in my life since late 2016, but for the past 9-12 months, I've been stuck in a rut that I've been unable to pull myself out of. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life, although I've only been getting treatment for it in the past 6-7 years or so. I'm currently 33, own my home and live alone and I don't have any social circle outside of work and family.

I'm at a point where I feel like there is no meaning to my life, as if I have nothing to life for. I simply feel like I'm working and supporting myself for no reason other than to be alive, but for what? 

I go to my doctor twice a year (once every 6 months) and the past two visits he suggested I start dating which I agree with and is probably a lot of my issues right now... and after my last visit a couple weeks ago, I even prepaid 3 months on a dating site (which he made a good point that people who actually pay tend to be more serious). 

I've been doing a lot of field work lately at work and been traveling all over my local area. I drove an hour and half one way to client today and a lot of the travel was in areas I haven't been since I was divorced so needless to say, there were a lot of memories, places I forgot about, etc. Just last week, I drove an hour and half in the opposite direction which is all tourism/beach the entire drive and have had many dates and relationships and brought back memories, forgot about some places, etc. 

I don't really know what the point of this post is... Not long ago, I was 100% againest dating due to bad experiences and being divorced and was perfectly happy being single/along with no desire to date... but I guess all this on-site work I've been doing lately, meeting new people, visiting previous places... has made me taken a 360. 

It's hard to give a general answer about what the purpose of life is since it is different from person to person, but I think one really motivating purpose for me is to bring something positive to others, like friends or even just people online.

How's the online dating going so far? Sounds like you are enjoying it.

Sounds like you are not deriving a lot of enjoyment out of life. No surprise that life starts feeling meaningless under such circumstances.
What are things you think you might enjoy but have been postponing?

Come on. there is nothing in your life to be depressed about. You are working hard, you are earning money plus managing your life very well. what is there to be depressed about? be proud of yourself. You are an asset to the world. I think you just worry too much. being alone is nothing to worry about. just do not think too much. after coming back from work, just be busy. do something. watch a comedy movie or read a humourous book. or just sleep. remember that you are already doing the most important thing that many do not do- working and earning!

I agree that @MineCoast should be proud that he's functioning as well as he/she is...but I don't think asking "what is there to be depressed about?" is a very useful approach. In spite of being "poor" by US standards, I live better than 90+% of the human population on this planet. Yet I'm still depressed, and have been for decades. Sounds like MineCoast is in a similar situation.

Robin Williams had "everything" to live for--fame, fortune, sense of humor, etc., yet he took his own life. What did he have to be depressed about? Who knows. But nonetheless, he was depressed enough to want to leave the mortal realm.

Found this and hope it’ll be useful:

We humans are motivated by:
■ A want or need which induces tension. Only if these are unsatisfied can there be motivational power.
■ Perceptions of ‘pleasure’ and ‘pain’. We seek pleasure and are driven by a desire to avoid pain.
■ Hopes and expectations that we can get what we want, and that everything will come right in the end.

The strongest motivation comes from a passionate desire for something pleasurable, coupled with the avoidance of pain.

The best way to motivate yourself is to set yourself some worthy goals, find plenty of reasons why you want to accomplish them, and keep in mind the consequences of failure 

Hi-Welcome to the group.

According to this article, for us to know our purpose, make a list of the things and activities that interest you in which you excel. You can also ask yourself, “What’s the one thing that I do better than others?” What are things that make me excited or passionate? This can be a clue to know your purpose. I hope this helps.

Keep on posting. I pray that you will get better from depression and you will continue to enjoy your everyday life. Thank you for sharing.