I am going to meet my new therapist tomorrow and I feel really nervous.

ghostwriter89

I am going to meet my new therapist tomorrow and I feel really nervous and scared. I am from New England and temporarily live in the Midwest, and have had some trouble getting along with others here and that fact alone makes me feel really anxious.

The last therapist I had was really horrible and made me feel worse, but I am struggling with my mental health and need to see a therapist. I really need someone who is kind, compassionate, and gentle and I'm really worried that I will get another therapist who

is not very nice. I am also concerned because she said that she takes Medicaid yet she said that sometimes there are extra fees for paperwork and other things not covered which I don't understand because you are not supposed to ever bill

Medicaid patients. Does anyone have any advice from their own experiences with all of this? I am in a very fragile and anxious state and meeting new doctors is really scary for me. 

38 minutes ago, ghostwriter89 said:
Advertisement

I am going to meet my new therapist tomorrow and I feel really nervous and scared. I am from New England and temporarily live in the Midwest, and have had some trouble getting along with others here and that fact alone makes me feel really anxious.

The last therapist I had was really horrible and made me feel worse, but I am struggling with my mental health and need to see a therapist. I really need someone who is kind, compassionate, and gentle and I'm really worried that I will get another therapist who

is not very nice. I am also concerned because she said that she takes Medicaid yet she said that sometimes there are extra fees for paperwork and other things not covered which I don't understand because you are not supposed to ever bill

Medicaid patients. Does anyone have any advice from their own experiences with all of this? I am in a very fragile and anxious state and meeting new doctors is really scary for me. 

Im so glad  that you are giving therapy another chance! Dont let some grouchy bad therapist ruin your next experience. Ive had quite a few therapist in my lifetime and ive met some really bad and some really good ones that have made a difference when I really needed it. So just remember therapist are people too so of course you're going to come a cross not good ones and its their issue not yours. Their bad at their jobs. second just remind yourself that its normal and 100% ok that you are nervous :) anxiety does that but remember this is nothing new to them!! dont be embarrassed and try your best to let loose and tell them how you feel. Its their job to make you feel comfortable and secure and if they cant do that for you voice that or find someone that can. Good luck ! and I really hope that this therapist is a good one and give you the help you deserve! 

I know that there are health grading websites where people give their experiences and opinions on doctors. That may be a good place to start to find the right therapist for you.

I have found that everyone therapist I have seen is very removed and remarkably unhelpful, but just someone that helps you question yourself. 

As for medicaid, they should bill them. The therapist themselves may not have an understanding of the policies completely or sometimes there is more than one insurance option so there may be some confusion that lies in that.

Take a deep breath, and remember that they’re there to help you. They’ve dealt with many personalities and they are equipped with years of knowledge to handle the situation.

Best wishes!

When I was on medicaid, I believe there was a lot of paperwork to be filled out for the office in which the therapist worked, and for Medicaid's purposes.  But those "extra fees" should NOT come out of your pocket.  The practice/therapist needs to do the collecting of fees to/from Medicaid or whoever. 

Be yourself, whether you're nervous or insecure . . . whatever.   You're both trying to establish rapport at this point, so just . . . go to it without worrying about what he or she may think of you.  Congratulations on seeking help in your new environment!

Thank you guys :) I am starting to feel better. I want so much to start therapy again and to feel better. It is so important to me that I have a  kind therapist who cares.

It means a lot to me that you guys took the time to help and offer your own advice and experiences. It's comforting to know that there are nice people out there :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 10:03 PM, June322 said:

Im so glad  that you are giving therapy another chance! Dont let some grouchy bad therapist ruin your next experience. Ive had quite a few therapist in my lifetime and ive met some really bad and some really good ones that have made a difference when I really needed it. So just remember therapist are people too so of course you're going to come a cross not good ones and its their issue not yours. Their bad at their jobs. second just remind yourself that its normal and 100% ok that you are nervous :) anxiety does that but remember this is nothing new to them!! dont be embarrassed and try your best to let loose and tell them how you feel. Its their job to make you feel comfortable and secure and if they cant do that for you voice that or find someone that can. Good luck ! and I really hope that this therapist is a good one and give you the help you deserve! 

Thank you for your kind words. I re-read them today and it really helped me. My therapist really hurt me today, and I'm trying to deal with it the best I can and remember that it is not my fault.

On 3/13/2018 at 4:09 AM, ghostwriter89 said:

Thank you for your kind words. I re-read them today and it really helped me. My therapist really hurt me today, and I'm trying to deal with it the best I can and remember that it is not my fault.

Oh no was it the new one you got ? or the same one ?