jerryred069

Anxiety Causes Insomnia?

My personal experience is that they are linked in some way.  I cannot speak for others.  Nor can I offer a scientific opinion.  Sorry I cannot be more helpful.  

No two ways about it. It's a vicious circle, where one feeds off the other. But it can be sorted, with patience and effort. Get back to basics and try to reduce what is bothering you. If you can't, then reduce the things that you can see to i.e. ensure that the house in good order (washing all done and heating ok), you are getting enough exercise (30 mins walk would do), fruit and water vs. chocolate and fizzy drinks, reading and music (nice classical - Debussy is great for when you are lying there contemplating life, death and the bit in between, but a bit of Orbital goes a long way too :-). These alone may not bring immediate results but they do allow yourself to not become too anxious over stuff you can control. 

If it's something you can't control, well then there's the bigger issue of just accepting that life isn't fair BUT having faith in yourself, friends and family that together (and that's the key thing) we will get through it.

Insomnia is unreal torture, but thankfully there is help. Speak to your doctor. Talk to your boss and take that time off (f**k deadlines - they're for Wall St. gobs). Anxiety and insomnia are a signal that you need to slow down for a bit and take a breather. 

If you want, write down what is going on in your head. Don't worry if you think it's distressing, embarrassing or (and here's the real funny one) illogical thinking ... believe you me, we ALL have been there. It really does help to write it down and get it out of your head. We're a non-judgmental lot here anyways. 

Edited by StoniumFrog

Oh, yeah--I know if I am anxious before my bedtime, I can not sleep==am awake all night long and sometimes I am so anxious it lasts 2-3 nights in a row...I have to have medication for sleep and it helps most of the time....8-]]

Anxiety causes sleeping problems, and sleep deprivation can cause an anxiety disorder. Insomnia can be caused by psychiatric and medical conditions, unhealthy sleep habits, specific substances, and/or certain biological factors.

Really is a chicken and egg type question. My anxiety causes insomnia, so I load up with sleeping pills to calm the anxiety and help me sleep. A vicious circle but let me offer up, without sleep anxiety and depression would be worse. Balance your physical effort, your eating, your mindfulness, your medication and your sleep may improve. Keep trying until you can sleep, because without sleep, I could not function to the limited level I am at now.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Paris43 said:

Oh, yeah--I know if I am anxious before my bedtime, I can not sleep==am awake all night long and sometimes I am so anxious it lasts 2-3 nights in a row...I have to have medication for sleep and it helps most of the time....8-]]

what do you take for sleep?

I take Zopiclone and Seroquel, and they knock me down for about 6 hours..... once I am awake though, no getting back to sleep unless I take clonamezapam….. I think I would have done better on street drugs than all these cocktails that get dispensed....

It works both ways. A vicious circle truly. Insomnia can cause anxiety and anxiety can cause insomnia. Suffering from the same for about 3 years now.