Sign in to follow this  
twotone

hobbies please

Hi,  I'd like to start a thread collecting hobbies! Hobbies are a great distraction from depression and anxiety,  at least I find and can be healing. Maybe could inspire others too.

I'll start by baking bread.  I like to make sourdough bread (San Francisco style).  This involves maintaining a sourdough strarter,  which has equal parts white bread flour and tepid water.   

For the evening before I bake,  I feed the starter with 1 cup flour, 1 cup tepid water.  When I mix the ingredients,  before going to bed,  I know the starter will be active.  The mix is 2 cups active starter,  1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp sugar 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 cup white bread flour..  Mix this in the kenwood mixer and the add 1/2 to 1 cup of flour for ideal dough consistency.  Next,  with  the dough hook mix for 4 minutes or so until the dough is elastic.  You may need to kneed some more by hand.

Place dough in a bowl with a tbsp of oil. Place dough ball in the bowl and cover with the oil by turning.  Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise somewhere cosy warm.  

In the morning I push the air out of the dough and shape as desired

bake for 40 minutes at 450F .  You can score and spray water for a great crust.

What hobby would you like to share?  (I'll try to post a pic next time I bake.)

You should add this to the recipes thread...it sounds goooooood.

I like mountain backpacking. I dont get to go often but i train in between. Going to local tiny mountains with my pack on to get used to the weight.

In essence i am just exercising but there is a non health reason behind it.

Hey,  I like to walk mountains too,  not been for a good long while. Tiny mountains sound like just the thing for now :) 

Must get on a train sometime soon,  this ilness seems to put a stop to all things that can heal us.  I'll add this to one of my goals in recovery.

Scott,  I'm intrigued by your pop bottles.  I be thinking of filling them with homebrew! Not sure if this forum allows,  be nice to see a pic,  if this forum allows?

I'm baking in the morning so hopefully add a pic.

I'm prone to letting my hobbies slide when I'm going through some heavy depression, which is where I'm at now (not as bad as a few weeks back)... however, my usual hobbies/interests include:

Mountain walking / getting out into countryside

Fitness/gym - great for the endorphins, weight loss, self-esteem and sleep, however the events of last year drained me of all energy, physical, emotional and spiritual, so the gym fell by the wayside, I'm hoping to start this again in a month or so, because fitness/sport is significant chunk of my personal identity. At the moment, I've substituted this for 30 min walks.

Going to Meetup groups and similar to meet new people... a bit challenging right now, but maybe later in the spring

Listening to motivational audiobooks, meditation mp3s, clinical self-hypnosis recordings - these are helping right now. You can buy them or find some on youtube

I wouldnt say this is a hobby, but I like to cook from scratch (chinese,indian food, soups, stews etc).

Speaking of baking bread, there is something called the anti-inflammatory diet that I'm going to start over the next week or so, which I strongly feel will help with all aspects of healing mind and body, so hopefully there will be some scope for baking of healthy (low/non-gluten, zero processed sugar) cakes and bread-like objects.

thanks whostolemyfunny,  made some gf scones the other day,  came out allright,  recipe used rice flour,  xanthum gum for raising agent...

Here's my bread:

https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/gallery/image/9084-sourdoughjpg/

Edited by KidSurvivor2011
Gallery link displayed as image, changed to URL

10 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

I have a very lame hobby: I collect old advertising for cars, trucks, and tractors. I have been collecting that stuff since I was a kid. I love the artwork and the detail.

Not lame at all! Sounds pretty interesting!

4 hours ago, twotone said:

thanks whostolemyfunny,  made some gf scones the other day,  came out allright,  recipe used rice flour,  xanthum gum for raising agent...

*pic removed*

Very nice! That picture is making my stomach rumble ..

Edited by Natasha1

3 hours ago, LonelyHiker said:

Not lame at all! Sounds pretty interesting!

For me, it is. I grew up in a family full of gearheads. Even the women were interested in vehicles. I love the artwork in the old ads. Even truck and tractor ads are beautiful. I'll try to post some in my photo gallery.

I uploaded 2 ads into the DF gallery that show what kind of stuff fascinates me. I'm not sure if I can link to my gallery or not...the general location is here (nothing triggering, just cats and vehicles!):

https://www.depressionforums.org/forums/gallery/album/1168-jd401039s-album/

Edited by KidSurvivor2011
Gallery link displayed as image, changed to URL

1 hour ago, evalynn said:

I want to get back into speed walking. At my most fit, I was walking 4-5 miles per day. 

Im at 6 km right now working towards my big backpacking trip. I took 10 days off due to my many meltdowns but im ready to get back at 'er. I started with 1 km 3 times a week and incteased by 1 km each week. I am behind my plan by a couple of weeks though.

Do it with me. Can you do .5 to 1 mile tomorrow?

Thanks @twotone, for starting this thread.

Hobbies can be literal life savers. For me at least, this has been the case.

Due probably to the constant restlessness I have felt all my life, I have to move, use my body, somehow. So for the last 15 years or so I have been doing martial arts. Before that I was running and just generally trying to keep myself in shape.

I like photography too, recently I have been interested in psychogeography, so I'll take pictures of the oddness and alieness that is inherent to the human-habitated environment. I try and be more in the moment. so to speak. recently I have been somewhat meh in that respect, though.

On 1/29/2018 at 11:33 PM, twotone said:

Hi,  I'd like to start a thread collecting hobbies! Hobbies are a great distraction from depression and anxiety,  at least I find and can be healing. Maybe could inspire others too.

I'll start by baking bread.  I like to make sourdough bread (San Francisco style).  This involves maintaining a sourdough strarter,  which has equal parts white bread flour and tepid water.   

Now cooking and baking are just awesome things to do. I have always believed that cooking(and baking) is actually a form of alchemy. Base ingredients formed into something more than it's constituent parts..well at least when it works. Which in my case is not often enough!

Great thread!

Recently I taught myself how to make beaded necklaces and bracelets. I never wore jewelry. Now I do. It's a creative outlet, I see improvement and I like much of what I create. If I put this hobby down then I'll pick up another one, it doesn't matter. Learning something new matters in my lifelong battle against stagnation. 

A hobby is more than just an activity. My hobby makes me good money. I'm glad of that. It all started with an article in one blog. I learned a lot of useful information about how you can make money online on games. Now I'm my own boss and I like it!

Travelling would be the favorite hobby for me. I love to go out and indulge myself into things that divert my mind from things that causes depression to me. Also exploring the scenic beauties of the nature just refreshes you to the full.

I have a bit few hobbies the rest are listed on my profile if anyone is curious about what they are. One I really love is watching all kinds of films. For me films really helped and saved me from extreme loneliness, growing up I had  major difficulties finding "good" people to befriend in school and after.  So I was quite sad and severly depressed. Then finding my inner geek and passion for films kept me happy when I was in doubt and going through hardships in my life. I don't watch too much negative or scary kinds really anymore. Unless it's a monster type film, NOT zombies though. I never get bored of re watching films especially the ones I really love. I have so many I adore I can't really list them all, I apologize for that. So that's my hobby.