RECIPES!!!!

Natasha1

This thread is inspired by @HeatherG

So this isnt necessarily a place to type out recipes even though that would be very welcome (just be sure to reference where you got it without links to give proper credit). Just wondering what people's faves are.

What goes in it? 

Do you have a not so secret tip that you swear by?  

Are there any good childhood memories that you have from a particular dish that a parent or grandparent made for you?

I currently have a pasta sauce in the slow cooker. I swear by slow cookers. 

Beef, mushrooms, onions, yellow pepper, orange pepper, parsley and of course garlic! I think it needs more garlic actually. Crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil and i love adding some sugar to it.

I love the comfort. I love tasting it.

Problem with this batch is i should have used two pounds of beef instead of one pound. Im actually thinking its not even a pound in this batch.

So it will be mainly tomatoey i guess.

Finishing touch will be cheddar cheese on top along with parmesan cheese. Id use mozza too if i had it.

Ah,  found it! 

Here goes ..  

I like to make sourdough bread (San Francisco style).  This involves maintaining a sourdough strarter,  which has equal parts white bread flour and tepid water.   

For the evening before I bake,  I feed the starter with 1 cup flour, 1 cup tepid water.  When I mix the ingredients,  before going to bed,  I know the starter will be active.  The mix is 2 cups active starter,  1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp sugar 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 cup white bread flour..  Mix this in the kenwood mixer and the add 1/2 to 1 cup of flour for ideal dough consistency  (the mixer with dough hook the dough should stay together as it is being mixed,  not to wet,  and sticky or be too dry and not stick together.  Next,  with  the dough hook mix for 4 minutes or so until the dough is elastic.  You may need to kneed some more by hand.

Place dough in a bowl with a tbsp of oil. Place dough ball in the bowl and cover with the oil by turning.  Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise somewhere cosy warm.  

In the morning I push the air out of the dough and shape as desired.  Allow to rise for a couple of hours or more.

bake for 40 minutes at 450F .  You can score and spray water for a great crust.

7 hours ago, evalynn said:

Easiest "recipe" ever: Take one can crushed pineapple. One bottle of BBQ sauce. Pour over pounded chicken breasts. Bake. Voila, "Hawaiian" Chicken!

Yum!  You can also make that in the Crock p-o-t.  Dump everything in, cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.

You can also use frozen meatballs instead of chicken.  Cook on high 2 hours, or until hot.

Edited by SpiralingMind

Ok...in the morning, cut cherry or grape tomatoes in half. Obviously its best the sweeter they are.

Pour olive oil over them, add garlic with a press, add fresh basil leaves. Add grated mozzarella cheese. Mix that s hit up. Put a tea towel over a bowl and let it sit there all day. If you are home give it a mix once in a while.

At dinner time, make noodles, bite sized are best, drain and mix with the raw sauce. It is to die for. I can get measurements for you if youre not comfy with guessing. Just let me know.

12 minutes ago, Misanthrop said:

Tap Water Recipe!

Place glass under tap. Turn tap on. Fill glass with water almost to top. Turn tap off. Top up glass with additional teaspoons of water until full

...sorry Natasha1, I really can't cook at all :smilingteeth:

Lol this made my wake up time! Love it! Now do i need to be careful as to exactly how high i fill it? I want maximum flavour.

• 2 weeks later...

We had some green bananas that refused to ripen. I peeled them using a knife, cut them into wedges, and fried them in oil. Then I put them on a paper towel to soak some of the oil and added sea salt. The result were some tasty banana fries. Because they're not ripe, they're not at all sweet and taste more like potato. If you've ever had tostones (from plantains), it was like that.

• 3 months later...

To make a super yummy, but very easy, cake:

Buy a cake mix.  Modify the directions on the box by:

--Adding 1 more egg
--Replacing the oil with double the amount of melted butter
--Using whole milk instead of water

Mix it up, and bake at the time and temp called for on the box.

9 hours ago, SpiralingMind said:

To make a super yummy, but very easy, cake:

Buy a cake mix.  Modify the directions on the box by:

--Adding 1 more egg
--Replacing the oil with double the amount of melted butter
--Using whole milk instead of water

Mix it up, and bake at the time and temp called for on the box.

This sounds amazing!!!!!!!