Sign in to follow this  
Yuiop

Bremelanotide gave me anhedonia

Let me start off by saying that I had a very promising future and did not EVER have depression or anhedonia. At most I have dealt with mild mood swings and mild anxiety. Never ever anhedonia or depression. 

I was having some sexual issues and decided to take Bremelanotide (PT-141) which was given to me by a hormone clinic. I only took 0.25 mg.

within 3 hours I got immediate anhedonia. This was NOT preceded by any sort of panic attack or anything. In fact, I had a panic attack AFTER the emotional numbness and anhedonia set in so suddenly that it made me incredibly anxious. 

It nearly went away in the first few days but then randomly came back and fluctuates for the next few weeks. However, it settled into what seems and feels like a limbo anhedonic state.

i have had it for 3 months and have been suicidal basicallt since the 2nd week of this. 

Things I have tried--

Therapy-- completely useless/doesnt work. My problems are induced chemically and did not respond to CBT or EMDR. 

mindfulness-- useless and does not work. 

Ketamine infusions--Did not benefit

Exercise--doesnt do anything either

Stimulants-- do not help because my issue is CONSUMMATORY anhedonia. 

Basically nothing works and I am in a state of apathy all the time. I do not do anything productive anymore. Mainly because anything I do will at most maybe  budge the anhedonia 0.001% and thats not enough. I was a very goal oriented high achieving individual before and I want NOTHING less than 100.00% hedonia and excitement. 80-90% wouldn't be enough for me because anhedonia fundamentally affects personality. 

I realize this is all or nothing thinking but I do not really want to change it. The condition of anhedonia is that horrific that even a little bit of it is too much. Again, I have never experienced depression/anhedonia before so I am not used to these symptoms at all nor do i want to be. 

What is the fastest way out of this?

I am considering ECT as well, since it seems to be the fastest cure. 

My lifestyle has gone to especially recently since I stopped caring as I gave up. I was exercising and doing therapy in the first 2 months and it didnt help. 

Psychological therapy takes too long to relieve any symptoms and I do not have the patience. Im literally obsessed and 24/7 measure my improvement with any sort of thing I try to do to get better. Breathing techniques? yea they dont work either.

If I cannot be the chill, achieving person i was then I do not want to live my life really...

This came on instantaneously for me and I do not have coping skills for it and the way i see it--its not worth having coping skills to deal with an issue that could last this entire year before getting better. 

I realize theres lots of negativity here which some say therapy may help but the reality is I tried changing my thoughts and it doesnt budge the condition therefore its not worth it. I only do things that have an effect on this condition and if it doesnt then I don't do it.

So what are the cures for this condition especially one that is drug induced? 

I did not meet the depression criteria when I got the anhedonia initially, but now my scores are quite bad. In my case, the anhedonia CAUSED the depression because no therapy cured it.

I have also lost all social skills. I am nothing now.

with CBT I can change that thought, but it doesnt change the condition therefore I think that thought again. Or I obsess over how many times I need to do mindfulness or CBT to be cured and whether its 1 million times or 99999 times etc. 

I think my impatience also stems from the fact this happened from a sex drug overnight unlike most people who get it from stress. 

The only times I feel better somewhat are when I am hungry. I think my melanocortin system got severely imbalanced by this peptide I took.

Edited by Yuiop

Its not that I have "lost interests" its more that I have lost pleasure and then that caused me to lose interest now. Anhedonia caused my depression, not the other way around. Anhedonia was induced by the Melanocortin system in my case.

Initially I had no other symptoms except the numbness itself. 

I'm guessing you're off of the melanocortin right now?  Either way, I would talk with your doctor about what's going on and also make sure you have a therapist/psychologist that you get along with well, because that is absolutely critical for therapy to be effective.  

15 hours ago, Wizardwarrior315 said:

I'm guessing you're off of the melanocortin right now?  Either way, I would talk with your doctor about what's going on and also make sure you have a therapist/psychologist that you get along with well, because that is absolutely critical for therapy to be effective.  

I only ever took it once.

I've been to like 3 different therapists since this started 3 months ago and all have not worked. It doesn't have any effect on this biologically created condition. I have nothing wrong in my life except these drug induced symptoms.

Problem is im impatient as hell and 24/7 I'm obsessed with finding a cure to this symptom. Its like if I don't find a cure then I would rather die. Things like meds and therapy just take way too long to work. I need something thats effective and effective like *now*.

Part of it is the condition came on in 2 hours so that also creates the impatience. Because it came on so quickly I expect it to go away very quickly which doesn't happen and then I get into severe agitation and rumination of what I used to be. Never once had anhedonia in my life prior.

So far I tried Ketamine infusions to no avail. Thought they would be an instant fix.

Edited by Yuiop

It's been a while so I don't know how you are doing now, but I'll still answer your question.

Bremelanotide is a mélanocyte stimulating hormone, which means it binds to the Melanocortin receptor in your brain and activates them.

Through this activation there is an aphrodisiac effect, the problem is that the melanocortin receptors (especially the 4th and 5th subtype of this receptor) are involved in depression, and cause a very strong anhedonia. While this doesn't happen in most people it can happen, with,  as you experienced first hand dramatic effects that resemble intense depression and apathy. 

To solve this problem, cbt and other methods won't work that well since you have a biological problem and not a psychological one. 

ECT is a good option since it allows the brain to remodel itself, CBT and mindfulness can help cope with some of the symptoms.

The best option is to take an melanocortin receptor antagonist (Bremelanotide is a receptor agonist which means it activates the receptor, an antagonist does the opposite: it blocks the receptor). Melanocortin antagonists were being build in the eighties as treatments for depression with extreme efficiency but a couple problems: MIF-1 the first Melanocortin antagonist discovered is a natural peptide (peptide is a smaller version of a protein vaguely speaking) that blocks the melanocortin receptor and is very promising as a treatment for depression: sub-cutaneous doses of 10mg for 5 days can completely remove depression. The problem is that it can't be patented, so pharmaceutical companies won't produce it since it would cost a lot of money to research it's effects with very little money to be made. The other problem is that it has to be injected to work (you can also take it orally but you would have to take 5 times the dose, about 50mg a day for 5 days)  so it has no economic value since it is a known fact in the medical community that people don't follow the treatment guidelines when the drug is not given orally. 

The reason it cannot be easily given orally is that since it is a peptide (small protein) it will be destroyed by your gut/liver enzymes, this is the reason you need to take a higher dose, the problem is that people don't produce the same amount of enzymes so you can either get too much of the product or too little. 

But you can still buy it on other websites: https://shop.bachem.com/peptides/mif-1-melanocyte-stimulating-hormone-release-inhibiting-factor-and-analogs/4000343.html

The problem is that the purity of the compound is not pharmaceutical grade and therefore it cannot and SHOULD NOT be injected in the body.

If you still struggle with depression to this day you could try to take it orally. By the way this protocol works on any form of depression (not just caused by anhedonia).

If I had to do it this is how I would:

Buy yourself a milligram accurate scale.

Buy  250mg of MIF-1 (or more if it is the only option available) in powdered form.

For 5 days in a row (not more not less) you take every day (preferably as far away from eating so maybe between breakfast and lunch) 50mg of MIF-1, which you dissolve in water beforehand so that you don't have to eat powder. 

I am a medical student but not a doctor, so I cannot prescribe you anything. You should absolutely do your own research before taking anything.

Hope it helped!!