A New Look Read more... ×
Natasha1

What Lyrics Do You Relate To, But In A Different Way Than They Were Intended?

I can't think of any lyrics I can relate to but a line from a movie called "Bridge of Spies" touches me deeply.

In the movie, Tom Hanks portrays a lawyer for a Soviet spy.  Many times, the Hanks character is surprised by the calmness of his client and asks:

"Are you worried?"  In answer to this, his client answers:  "Why, . . . would it help?"

Though not a song lyric, it is very dear to me, this movie line.  I guess it is because I was raised to think that worrying always helps or that worrying is the right and dutiful thing to do, and often, quite often, worrying doesn't help a bit but makes things worse.  Of course anxiety and panic disorder can make thinking or saying to oneself:  "would it help" difficult or sometimes not possible.

I am facing a potentially dangerous medical situation soon and as someone with health anxiety this is causing me distress.  Sometimes I think of that character in the movie I mentioned and think:  "Should I worry?  Why, would it help?"

Edited by Epictetus

“I’m young, and I love to be young. I’m free, and I love to be free. To live my life the way I want, to say an do whatever I please.”

I’m not a 17 year old girl in 1963 being pushed around by a boyfriend. I’m tired of being unable to do the things I dream of because of my personal limitations, from saying and doing things I want because I’m inhibited and submissive,  and tired of being told from every imaginable source of their interpretation of what is right or wrong, if there is such a thing as right and wrong, how to live and act responsibly, what it means to be a ‘winner’ or ‘loser’, etc. I feel like I hate every single political, philosophical, religious belief, concept, theory, etc. in history.