Sign in to follow this  
jacob24787

Does alcohol stop zoloft from working?

Hi, ive been on 50mg of setraline for about 5 months. On new years eve i binged on alcohol and blacked out. A few days after that it felt like my medication completely stopped working and i fell into a excruciating depression. I never missed a dose so i'm confused as to why this happened, also i was getting brain zaps. Its been 22 days and my medication still doesn't feel like its kicked in. Am i completely screwed? it sucks because the medication made me feel so much better :( 

Hi jacob24787,

Thanks for sharing.  I am sorry to hear that you are having a recurrence of depressive symptoms - I can only imagine how frustrating this must be after having these very symptoms managed.

Alcohol is certainly something to avoid while taking antidepressant medications.  As you may know, alcohol is a depressant and acts against the effects of antidepressants.  It does not permanently reverse the effects of your medication if you chose to drink one night, but it should be avoided based on the effects you are currently reporting.

I recommend that you inform your provider of your complaints - this may be a process of allowing the medication to take full effect again, or it may require a dosage adjustment - he/she would be in the best position to inform you of this.  It is great that you continue to take your medication as prescribed and do not miss doses - keep it up.  However, you should certainly inform your provider so that you can continue with a treatment that is based in transparency and full disclosure.

I wish you the best with your ongoing treatment - please keep us posted!

1 hour ago, PoeticProse said:

Hi jacob24787,

Thanks for sharing.  I am sorry to hear that you are having a recurrence of depressive symptoms - I can only imagine how frustrating this must be after having these very symptoms managed.

Alcohol is certainly something to avoid while taking antidepressant medications.  As you may know, alcohol is a depressant and acts against the effects of antidepressants.  It does not permanently reverse the effects of your medication if you chose to drink one night, but it should be avoided based on the effects you are currently reporting.

I recommend that you inform your provider of your complaints - this may be a process of allowing the medication to take full effect again, or it may require a dosage adjustment - he/she would be in the best position to inform you of this.  It is great that you continue to take your medication as prescribed and do not miss doses - keep it up.  However, you should certainly inform your provider so that you can continue with a treatment that is based in transparency and full disclosure.

I wish you the best with your ongoing treatment - please keep us posted!

Hi! thank you for your response :) I was just confused as to why my medication would stop working for so long just from drinking alcohol. I am barely starting to feel it kick in right now so i'll just give it some more time. 

jacob24787,

Certainly seems like a long time, right?  Incredibly confusing, I'm sure.  Everyone responds differently and alcohol can do some complicated things to the brain.  Giving it some more time, especially if you're starting to see improvement again, is a good plan.  Keep sharing your journey!

2 minutes ago, PoeticProse said:

jacob24787,

Certainly seems like a long time, right?  Incredibly confusing, I'm sure.  Everyone responds differently and alcohol can do some complicated things to the brain.  Giving it some more time, especially if you're starting to see improvement again, is a good plan.  Keep sharing your journey!

Yeah it's really frustrating. Another thing i don't understand is that i got brain zaps and that's a withdrawal symptom so i found that very strange. Is it possible that drinking alcohol permanently change the way your body responds to the drug? I've never heard of that happening but i'm just stressed out and i'm thinking of the worst case scenario :( I am for surely going to stay clear from alcohol as it's not worth the month of suffering afterwards tho. I'm just a bit worried that it's to late and i already screwed up. 

Alcohol does have the potential to prevent medications from doing their job - and sometimes result in serious interactions - so your body may just be getting accustomed again.  People also vary in their ability to overcome the effects of alcohol.  Therefore, the effects of the alcohol on your body likely did not stop the following day.

Many people do end up making the mistake of using alcohol with antidepressants, often due to lack of knowledge about the interactions.  But there is no reason to suspect that "it's to late" - just speak to your provider and inform him/her of what is going on to ensure that you should continue as usual.

2 minutes ago, PoeticProse said:

Alcohol does have the potential to prevent medications from doing their job - and sometimes result in serious interactions - so your body may just be getting accustomed again.  People also vary in their ability to overcome the effects of alcohol.  Therefore, the effects of the alcohol on your body likely did not stop the following day.

Many people do end up making the mistake of using alcohol with antidepressants, often due to lack of knowledge about the interactions.  But there is no reason to suspect that "it's to late" - just speak to your provider and inform him/her of what is going on to ensure that you should continue as usual.

I am pretty sensitive to alcohol, so maybe that could be a contributing factor as well. But i'll wait it out :) I am trying to learn more about my medication and antidepressants in general, very interesting stuff! I noticed that the zoloft i'm taking has made my sense of touch better, colors seem more prominent and i feel more mentally organized, food tastes better. I actually look forward to things like going to a movie or going to get a coffee. Not sure how a SSRI could do all of that but i'm amazed :)

Very interesting stuff, indeed.  Just as amazing is how problematic depression can be - it can cause deficits in a wide range of functions beyond the symptoms of anhedonia, anergia, and low mood.  It's great that you enjoy learning about these topics - it will serve you well along the way!

27 minutes ago, PoeticProse said:

Very interesting stuff, indeed.  Just as amazing is how problematic depression can be - it can cause deficits in a wide range of functions beyond the symptoms of anhedonia, anergia, and low mood.  It's great that you enjoy learning about these topics - it will serve you well along the way!

Yes indeed! thank you very much for helping me out :) i will keep you posted on anything that happens involving my medication