Social isolation and bipolar disorder I'm confused

wacko

Hello to everyone

I was wondering how people deals with social isolation? How bad can be and how long can last.

I been thinking in myself and I already don't find any valid reason I before long time ago had some friends , some that in 2004 I met and with the time just i don't know what happened but I went away from everyone and friends I avoided social interactions as much as I could do and now that I asked by explanations to a friend that was ignoring me over those messaging apps I have realized that I been isolated from people and friends by over 14 years and I don't find an explanation to that I feel somewhat frustrated and that I wasted time. In just avoid all the contact with people, I don't know if it's normal in bipolar disorder that of isolate people and I'm confused why or how could happen the fact that I got locked within myself.

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear about your social isolation that just seemed to spread over many years - I understand your confusion and frustration.

There are many reasons that people isolate themselves and do not maintain their friendships - depression being one of them.  Having said that, if you are saying that you have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, this could certainly be a part of it.  Also, as you likely know, even episodes of high energy often do not lead to lasting relationships.  If you have not been formally diagnosed, there is no reason to suspect it from social isolation alone.

Depression and mood associated with Bipolar are only two of the many reasons.  Some people simply lose interest in social interactions.  Social connection is certainly something that leads to better health outcomes, and humans are generally beings that like to be in contact with others.  However, there is not always something 'wrong' with choosing to be alone.  However, if this has been ongoing and is causing you distress, this suggests that it is not healthy or in your best interest.

If possible, you could try to reconnect with old friends.  If this is difficult because you do not have any explanations for leaving their lives, you could try making new friends.  This may be difficult depending on your level of interest, but sometimes doing something you do not actually feel like doing will turn out to be a positive experience.  With new friendships, you could start over and see what comes of them.  These are also topics that are useful to discuss in psychotherapy, if you are involved in it or would be willing to seek therapy.  Learning how to interact with others and find reason for doing so can certainly be worked on in this setting.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.  I look forward to hearing more from you.

i think that only  decided go to my comfort zone,  no idea why happened but just  that happened, i always when my doctor have  said in the past about add an psycholgist have refused that option, and  well just have to occur this crisis  and  check some old mails  to realize that was in a wrong pattern, i do not know if   even i am having the right treatment to my problem, also i did not knew that depressionm might cause isolation and not only with people and new ones , perhaps never considered that aspect and only i seek excuses to explain my lack of interest in get interactions  , probably since getting older  just is making that change  the perspective  of how things are happening and am watching the whole picture and not only the part that i am interested to watch.furthermore also  was not causing distress but  was causing troubles with everyday  life and also i had certain touch with some friends but suddenly i broke all touich later of have an depressive crisis at that time my first doctor diagnosed as depression only ,  later years  later gavce me an stronger antidepressanty and triggered an hypomania which made change of doctor, perhaps the whole combination of facts  made  this go deeper and i never noticed that was  happening that because i have adopted this  behavior as an normal part of me when is not  part of myself., with this  discovering i am even  having serious doubts of the current treatmnent that i am having be the right one for me  or  made get improvements overtime

the only sure is that will chnage of doctor because the current one  just   i find not not competent  to me and  just   have made some mistakes that are kind of serious, so perhaps need  to do some decisions

On 1/21/2018 at 2:04 AM, wacko said:
Advertisement

Hello to everyone

I was wondering how people deals with social isolation? How bad can be and how long can last.

I been thinking in myself and I already don't find any valid reason I before long time ago had some friends , some that in 2004 I met and with the time just i don't know what happened but I went away from everyone and friends I avoided social interactions as much as I could do and now that I asked by explanations to a friend that was ignoring me over those messaging apps I have realized that I been isolated from people and friends by over 14 years and I don't find an explanation to that I feel somewhat frustrated and that I wasted time. In just avoid all the contact with people, I don't know if it's normal in bipolar disorder that of isolate people and I'm confused why or how could happen the fact that I got locked within myself.

I m bipolar and ended up the same way the last time I visited a friend was two years ago, before I was diagnosed and medicated i would go on facebook about my si when depressed ,than start condemning everyone in my life when I was manic delete them from my facebook then put them back on I must have looked like a nutcase, I told everyone I was putting myself in IOP because I was ignored I told my one friend from childhood I was dx bipolar than he stop responding to my messages now that im a cocktail of moodstablizers and anti depressants I rarely act the same way and have much shorter bouts of depression/ mania.I talk to quite alot of people despite that I see my therapist every week and always get along well with my coworkers. I have made alot of friends but they would usually only last 3 months at the max. It would probably be different now that im medicated but I am content being alone for now. I make sure now to never tell people im bipolar because im stable now so they won't even realize it unless I tell them and it's not worth ruining my reputation and having others make assumptions. It is very common for bipolar people to be isolated though based on what I have read.