Cymbalta stopped working. Now what?

kevolution

How are doing? You are right medicines are addictive in a while. Depression affects a lot of people in the world and needs a comprehensive approach in treatment. I would encourage you to talk to your GP about switching Cymbalta to something else. If  you combine medicines and psychotherapy the treatment will work better for you. Talk to your therapist about it.

• 2 months later...

The most important thing is to talk to your therapist first, he/she is the most competent person to help you switch to another medication. Plus, you will need guidance when it comes to switching since quitting Cymbalta can have some nasty withdrawal symptoms. I had the same issue as you, all of a sudden it was doing nothing for me, after years of taking it. I switched a month and a half ago and I'm seeing some improvement, still got a long way to go, but it's helping. 

4 hours ago, kevolution said:

Thanks for your response. I've been working with my psychiatrist for 2 years trying to find something that works better, but nothing has. What did you switch to?

I switched to Valdoxan (Agomelatine) plus Paroxetine. The dosages are still off, possibly on my next appointment I'll be prescribed a higher dosage on both meds. I started with Lexapro (escitalopram) but it did little to nothing for me, but it might work for you. 

Kevolution:

It must be frustrating and difficult to not be able to find a medicine that is helpful right now.  I just want to encourage you to keep working with your doctor.  

Is there any connection to the Cymbalta not working and moving to a generic?  Probably not a helpful question, but just personal curiosity.  

There may be some new anti-depressants coming to market that could be helpful.