Sign in to follow this  
fearispower

My Dream is Dead

I got kicked out of the vet tech program I was in. I only had one semester to go, and I failed one class. I appealed, but they won't let me back in. I've officially become a failure.

This was the only career pathway I'd ever seriously considered. I'm not good at anything else. All they gave me for options were moving to Denver to go to another school (which I'm certain my dad won't pay for), or taking the vet assistant test that I have all the credits for, and getting that certificate. Which is basically saying "So you love animals, right? Get a job as the guy who takes out the garbage at a vet hospital! I know it's not the same, and you won't ever make enough money to move out of your mom's house, and you'll be branded a failure, meaning you'll die a friendless virgin who nobody cares about, but at least it's something!" I don't know what's left. What's the point of going on?

Hello Fearispower,  

I am so terribly sorry that this happened to you.  Something somewhat similar happened to me but it is still too painful for me to talk about.  The memory though is still quite vivid. 

I am not a doctor or therapist and so don't really know what to say that would be helpful to you. 

I am 63 years old and have found that people sometimes shine at  various times in their lives.  Things like failure, can sometimes be preludes to greatness.  I know that must be small comfort to you right now and I apologize for not having anything really helpful to say to you in your anguish and disappointment. 

Since I am ill today, I don't know if I'm even making any sense.  I am so, so sorry for what has befallen you.  Maybe someone else here on the Forums will have better words for you.  I hope!!!  - epictetus

Edited by Epictetus

You sound like you would make a great vet tech. You know why? Because that's what you're good at. Because it's what you like, and want for yourself. If your goal is to be a vet tech then don't let this obstacle stop you! The hard things are always worth doing. You can find another school, find creative ways to pay for it. You don't have to give up on yourself because your dad won't pay. You can pay. You can find a way. Don't give up, push back. When the world pushes you around you have to lean in. Swim upstream. I believe that you can make it happen no matter what. 

When I was a student, I was sexually assaulted, my family fell apart to drugs, and I couldn't get student loans. So, I went to therapy, started a babysitting business, took 2 years off school to save up and become emancipated so I could get loans, and finished my education. I'm now a scientist with a masters degree. But my God was it hard! So much trauma, and no help from anyone. But I did it and I'm certain you can too. I believe in you reaching your goal, if you believe in you too. You can really do anything. ❤