Hey,

thought I'd say hi before telling my story.  I'm a fella  and have suffered from depression and anxiety on and off since maybe when I was 7,  in my 50's now.  Finding it hard to write this,  but saying thanks to all you wonderful people here

Hi Twotone and welcome to the Forums.

Its nice to meet you!

Depression and anxiety are both brutal illnesses.  I am a fellow survivor and struggler and am 63 years old.  Hope you will find this site as helpful as I have.

Again, welcome!   - epictetus

On 1/7/2018 at 5:10 AM, twotone said:
Advertisement

Hey,

thought I'd say hi before telling my story.  I'm a fella  and have suffered from depression and anxiety on and off since maybe when I was 7,  in my 50's now.  Finding it hard to write this,  but saying thanks to all you wonderful people here

wow..you sound like me it started at a young age...it stinks, but i'm glad you managed to survive up until  your 50s ...im in my 30s and i dont know how much more i can handle......how do you manage? do you work? go out ? etc? what gives you motivation?

On 1/7/2018 at 5:10 AM, twotone said:
Advertisement

Hey,

Hi Twotone! My name's Rachael. I'm 24 and have always struggled with anxiety (social as a child/teen, now GAD), but was recently also diagnosed with depression and OCD. I've been living with depression for about 4 months now and it has been SO tough at times. I just have to say that I am honestly inspired and encouraged by you- to deal with this illness most of your life must make you such a strong person! 

yeah but it's not life. this is not what life should feel like. I'm getting tired, and I'm very hopeless. I don't have it in me to live the rest of my life this way. I give respect to those who do, but I just don't think I could live until I'm 60 feeling this way. It's too much for a person to handle I think.

On 07/01/2018 at 10:10 AM, twotone said:
Advertisement

Hey,

Hey there. 7 is young. 

I hope youve jad had help in that time. 

Aye both are horrible illnesses that rob you if a normal existence. I’m in my 40s and while I’ve had respite from (mostly) depression it feels never ending sometimes. 

Edited by bigtattoo

Hi all,  so empathise with all your struggles .  This illness can be so cruel (anxiety followed by depression).  In my case it can rob me of my strength and faculties just when I need them most.  in my younger years this wasn't so  recognised so little help.  I grew up thinking this was normal

Currently  work situation has driven me over the edge ,  so went to see my gp to get signed off. new meds  sertraline  but not sure he really listened.  he did a lot of talking anyway.  

6 hours ago, AnxiousRedhead said:

Hi Twotone! My name's Rachael. I'm 24 and have always struggled with anxiety (social as a child/teen, now GAD), but was recently also diagnosed with depression and OCD. I've been living with depression for about 4 months now and it has been SO tough at times. I just have to say that I am honestly inspired and encouraged by you- to deal with this illness most of your life must make you such a strong person! 

Thanks Rachel for your kind words.  I do have periods when I feel OK  (not sure about strong) and can enjoy life hobbies,  work to a certain extent. someone once told me to live for the good times. Been struggling with depression these last few weeks so can empathise,  and yes,  so very tough.  

I have in the past possibly irrationally though that the day I see a kingfisher by the river  I will have relief from the depression.  hope you find your  kingfisher soon

3 hours ago, twotone said:

.. point being that there is always hope,  however unlikely it seems

Great words to live by, and something we can all keep in mind. Thanks for your kind words! I hope you're having a good day today (9:45 am here for me but I know you're in England :smilingteeth:)

Thanks all for being there :)  

Interesting and insightful article about the why of depression.  I kinda know what triggers for me. 

*link removed*

If the link is not allowed google Johann Hari What if Everything We've Been Told About Depression is Wrong?

Anyone had similar experience to Johann?

Edited by Natasha1
Links removed