Donate Now Read more... ×
ghostwriter89

When going to the Social Security Office to apply for disability, do you need to make an appointment?

We are planning to go tomorrow (without an appointment because I can not get through to anyone via phone.) Will they still see us??

Wish I had an answer for that. I would personally recommend speaking with a Social Security disability attorney first so you don't make any mistakes which could result in denial. You also need to be very careful with your online presence, there are tons of stories floating around of people with depression getting denied because they have social media accounts that show them smiling or having fun which can give the impression that you're not depressed enough. I don't mean to scare you but with depression it's going to be trickier than with a physical disability so I would try to get some guidance from someone with experience. 

At least with my local office, you have to sign in to a machine and give the reason you're there. You then have to wait until your number is called and you will speak with a representative. I don't need appointments.

- KS

5 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Wish I had an answer for that. I would personally recommend speaking with a Social Security disability attorney first so you don't make any mistakes which could result in denial. You also need to be very careful with your online presence, there are tons of stories floating around of people with depression getting denied because they have social media accounts that show them smiling or having fun which can give the impression that you're not depressed enough. I don't mean to scare you but with depression it's going to be trickier than with a physical disability so I would try to get some guidance from someone with experience. 

Thank you, your advice has been very helpful.

3 hours ago, KidSurvivor2011 said:

At least with my local office, you have to sign in to a machine and give the reason you're there. You then have to wait until your number is called and you will speak with a representative. I don't need appointments.

- KS

Ah, okay. That alleviates some amount of worry. Thank you.