Can depression make you upset with everyone?

Z Diggity Dog

I've dealt with depression  (sadness) for years. When I was put on Rexulti i noticed that my anger at everyone pretty much went away and it helped tremendously with making my sadness go away. However, I can't tolerate this medication because it's interfering with my sleep big time and I'm too sleepy the next day to work. It's not causing insomnia by any means but it's doing SOMETHING to mess up my sleep.

I had the doctor switch me to Abilify and it's not interfering with my sleep like Rexulti was. It helps alot with anger (towards everyone) but there's still some left over anger going on. I also don't feel sad so it's as if it is helping with depression.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't work while taking Rexulti and this left over anger makes me miserable. Any suggestions?

Also, is me being angry with everyone part of depression? Or is it maybe a slightly-bipolar thing?

It can be a symptom of both. 

Depression and anger  are so linked that there’s an expression- depression is anger turned inwards

i get dsyphoric and it’s horrible. I’ve ruined my career lost relationships and scared a lot of people. It’s the single worst symptom of depression (or bipolar) imo. 

Can you access psychotherapy? It might be worth trying to find the root of your anger. There’s possibly some childhood trauma in there. 

40 minutes ago, Z Diggity Dog said:
Advertisement

I've dealt with depression  (sadness) for years. When I was put on Rexulti i noticed that my anger at everyone pretty much went away and it helped tremendously with making my sadness go away. However, I can't tolerate this medication because it's interfering with my sleep big time and I'm too sleepy the next day to work. It's not causing insomnia by any means but it's doing SOMETHING to mess up my sleep.

I had the doctor switch me to Abilify and it's not interfering with my sleep like Rexulti was. It helps alot with anger (towards everyone) but there's still some left over anger going on. I also don't feel sad so it's as if it is helping with depression.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't work while taking Rexulti and this left over anger makes me miserable. Any suggestions?

Also, is me being angry with everyone part of depression? Or is it maybe a slightly-bipolar thing?

Yes, part of depression can be irritability and anger. In my darker times, I am very quick to snap or go off on somebody. I am less patient and certainly less calm. They also say that depression and anxiety can be co-morbidities.

11 hours ago, bigtattoo said:

It can be a symptom of both. 

Depression and anger  are so linked that there’s an expression- depression is anger turned inwards

i get dsyphoric and it’s horrible. I’ve ruined my career lost relationships and scared a lot of people. It’s the single worst symptom of depression (or bipolar) imo. 

Can you access psychotherapy? It might be worth trying to find the root of your anger. There’s possibly some childhood trauma in there. 

I'm usually angry at people with good reason. Atleast in my opinion. Someone else would probably see it as childish.

Psychotherapy doesn't work for me. Medication  (Rexulti) does but I can't keep taking it.

Do you mind talking about your anger? I know you mentioned you feel your reasons sound good to you usually, but well. . . I had similar problems a couple months ago. In my head, I was right to be angry after losing my girlfriend to one of my more talented friends, but part of me knew that I was overreacting. Especially when I shut down and isolated myself in anger. Just saying that while it might be a good reason in your head, there is also a chance it's pretty petty. I mean, I don't think anyone could tell you if the anger you're feeling lately is normal or linked to depression/bipolar without more specific details about the situation. Please, don't feel like you have to share if you don't want to though.

7 hours ago, psycholuigiman said:

Do you mind talking about your anger? I know you mentioned you feel your reasons sound good to you usually, but well. . . I had similar problems a couple months ago. In my head, I was right to be angry after losing my girlfriend to one of my more talented friends, but part of me knew that I was overreacting. Especially when I shut down and isolated myself in anger. Just saying that while it might be a good reason in your head, there is also a chance it's pretty petty. I mean, I don't think anyone could tell you if the anger you're feeling lately is normal or linked to depression/bipolar without more specific details about the situation. Please, don't feel like you have to share if you don't want to though.

Sure. For example I'm mad at a few people because I'm always the one putting in the effort to contact them. They don't contact me.

Also, being angry that your girlfriend left you for a friend sounds reasonable to be.

Edited by Z Diggity Dog

I am almost always annoyed with someone. I just chalk it up to the depression/bipolar/all the other mental health issues I have and the fact that people are just inconsiderate buttheads for the most part.

15 hours ago, Z Diggity Dog said:

Sure. For example I'm mad at a few people because I'm always the one putting in the effort to contact them. They don't contact me.

Also, being angry that your girlfriend left you for a friend sounds reasonable to be.

It might sound reasonable since I left out the part where it was the cleanest, nicest break up ever. Turning my back on all of the people who care about me over that was extremely unreasonable. Especially when they tried to help me cope with it.

Anyway, I get that anger you have though. I was the same way. Ended up just straight up asking if they were only talking to me out of pity. Turns out one just thought I was always busy cuz of school and din't wanna risk interrupting my studies. Another felt she wasn't worth the time and thought I was contacting her out of pity. Another told me that he just habitually waited for me to contact him. Do ya think you can just talk to them about this? Maybe they have a good reason or maybe they'll be more proactive if you let them know it bugs you. Just throwing out ideas. It worked out alright for me so maybe it will for you too.

Yes i am a very irritable person, I feel like my natural state is to be angry with everyone or annoyed i feel uncomfortable if im getting along with my family, I was raised in a dysfunctional family so i feel lost when everyone is at peace or not fighting im 27 and lost all my friends years ago I talk to tons of people but keep them at a distance, im used to being alone now where it feels unnatural for me to have friends or family and getting along with them. I get along well with the coworkers I had and my classmates  in college and people i met when I went to group therapy but still feel bitterness over my childhood and disappointment with what I have accomplished so far in life I feel like im always in a  competition that im losing at with everyone.

11 hours ago, psycholuigiman said:

It might sound reasonable since I left out the part where it was the cleanest, nicest break up ever. Turning my back on all of the people who care about me over that was extremely unreasonable. Especially when they tried to help me cope with it.

Anyway, I get that anger you have though. I was the same way. Ended up just straight up asking if they were only talking to me out of pity. Turns out one just thought I was always busy cuz of school and din't wanna risk interrupting my studies. Another felt she wasn't worth the time and thought I was contacting her out of pity. Another told me that he just habitually waited for me to contact him. Do ya think you can just talk to them about this? Maybe they have a good reason or maybe they'll be more proactive if you let them know it bugs you. Just throwing out ideas. It worked out alright for me so maybe it will for you too.

Ya I shouldn't have to tell them to contact me first. I'll just go without them as friends even if that means I now have no friends. Better to have no friends than fake friends.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:19 AM, Z Diggity Dog said:

Ya I shouldn't have to tell them to contact me first. I'll just go without them as friends even if that means I now have no friends. Better to have no friends than fake friends.

Well, if that's how you feel. Not here to force you to change your mind. I do think we sometimes have a habit of putting high expectations on our friends. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think people should just know what to do or if something is bothering me if I don't say anything about it. I just feel that between friends, there should be no reason you don't talk about it before calling off the friendship. No joke, every time I thought I shouldn't or couldn't talk about something, even if it was something they were doing that p***** me off, ithey'd chastise me for not talking sooner, then laugh cuz I made such a big deal over nothing, then change what they were doing or at least help me deal with it better if they couldn't change. Bleh, that was a mess, but I hope I still got the point across okay. Not a very good speaker. Sorry.

I can easily get angry at someone. When I was younger, I would just get sad or hurt. Now I get angry too. I do think it's a part of my bipolar depression. Also, the older I get, the less I'm willing to deal with people's bulls***.

22 hours ago, psycholuigiman said:

Well, if that's how you feel. Not here to force you to change your mind. I do think we sometimes have a habit of putting high expectations on our friends. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think people should just know what to do or if something is bothering me if I don't say anything about it. I just feel that between friends, there should be no reason you don't talk about it before calling off the friendship. No joke, every time I thought I shouldn't or couldn't talk about something, even if it was something they were doing that p***** me off, ithey'd chastise me for not talking sooner, then laugh cuz I made such a big deal over nothing, then change what they were doing or at least help me deal with it better if they couldn't change. Bleh, that was a mess, but I hope I still got the point across okay. Not a very good speaker. Sorry.

I appreciate you trying to help but I just don't see things that way. If they don't put in any effort then they weren't a friend to begin with. Expecting them to try isn't really a high expectation. I'm just gonna forget them too.