My brain Vs. My heart.

Cent

I am lovesick. I thought I overcame it recently, but I didn't. I'm writing this from the bathroom in school because I just couldn't think past my lovesick thoughts. Im trying to identify what I'm feeling, but I can't. I can think of every reason as to why I don't need a romantic partner but it doesn't make me feel better. I can't rationalize why is feel this way. I need your thoughts.

Hi,

I'm sorry you are lovesick.  I wish I had a magic solution for you but sadly I really don't.  Sometimes it seems like our brain has a mind of its own.  For me to give advice to you would be hypocritical since I am have been lovesick many, many times in my life and I am 63 years old now.  One thing that finally helped me when it got really bad was books by cognitive therapists.  One book. "Feeling Good" by David Burns MD, was quite helpful because it even has a chapter on lovesickness if I remember right.  I am not promoting his book for there are others too and probably better ones than his, but just sharing what helped me.  Please don't beat yourself up over your feelings.  You are good person and don't deserve that.

On 12/21/2017 at 11:12 AM, Epictetus said:"Feeling Good" by David Burns MD, was quite helpful because it even has a chapter on lovesickness if I remember right.  I am not promoting his book for there are others too and probably better ones than his, but just sharing what helped me.  Please don't beat yourself up over your feelings.  You are good person and don't deserve that.

My problem is that I know every reason. Why I shouldn't feel like I should. I feel like of I did read your suggestion I would understand it, but it wouldn't change my mind at all. I appreciate your understanding and you reply.

Been lovesick countless times, never had a crush work out and every time it just left me feeling like crap for months. There really isn't a "cure" since arguments your brain comes up with won't change the way you feel. It's like trying to talk yourself out of feeling depressed, it just doesn't work that way. Life certainly would be a lot easier if love were rational but it just isn't. Best you can aim for is distraction until the feelings subside. Easier said than done though.