Sign in to follow this  
1966michigan

Have you changed meds successfully?

I’ve currently been on Effexor XR 150mg for over 10 years.  I’m a 51 year old female.  Before that I was on Paxil, but gained weight and felt lethargic.  I was also on Xanax in the past, but am not having panic attacks at the moment!

I have been extremely depressed over the past year or so. I make it to work but don’t want to do anything social. I am dealing with an aging Mom that is very depressing and stressful  She is forgetful and unsteady but refuses to move out of her big house.  My Dad passed away 04/2015 so she lives alone. Plus failed relationships and that loss, etc... plus throw in perimenopause.

Do you think I could benefit from adding or changing antidepressants?  Could they possibly be losing their effect since I’ve been on them so long?

Thanks for any tips or help!

If I were you I would just try increasing my dosage. The max dosage is about 300 mg so theres plenty of room to go.

Theres no need to be so quick to change a medicine thats been working for over 10 years. Some people never find a medication that works for them.

And yes sometimes medications stop working after a while. It happened to me personally. 

Edited by idkusername465

On 12/16/2017 at 11:05 PM, 1966michigan said:
Advertisement

I’ve currently been on Effexor XR 150mg for over 10 years.  I’m a 51 year old female.  Before that I was on Paxil, but gained weight and felt lethargic.  I was also on Xanax in the past, but am not having panic attacks at the moment!

I have been extremely depressed over the past year or so. I make it to work but don’t want to do anything social. I am dealing with an aging Mom that is very depressing and stressful  She is forgetful and unsteady but refuses to move out of her big house.  My Dad passed away 04/2015 so she lives alone. Plus failed relationships and that loss, etc... plus throw in perimenopause.

Do you think I could benefit from adding or changing antidepressants?  Could they possibly be losing their effect since I’ve been on them so long?

Thanks for any tips or help!

Have you tried adding any sort of therapy? That's a lot of stress for one person to handle at once - mental health disorder or not.

Thank you, yes I am in therapy as well.

It is a lot of stress.  My dad, who was 93, fell and hit his head and passed away that day. He forgot his walker coming out of the bathroom. He had not been sick and was still doing quite well for 93, including driving.  It was quite a shock! 

Now my mom is very unsteady and forgets her walker all the time, plus lives in a two story house and climbs the stairs every day. She Refuses to move or go into assisted living. I realized in the back of my head that every day I worry that she's going to fall.  I can't get it out of my head.  It's not always a conscious thought, but it's always a worry in my subconscious.  UGH