Donate Now Read more... ×
saaaraaah

Do doctors prescribe placebos for depression?

I'm sure it's just my paranoid thinking, but can doctors give you sugar pills and say they're giving you an antidepressant or anxiety medication?

I feel so ridiculous thinking about how a psychiatrist and pharmacist would conspire against me to convince me my depression isn't real but here we are lol

I don't think so.  If they did that to the wrong person and their mental health got worse, the doctor could be faced with a lawsuit.  Plus, the pharmacy should be checking to make sure your doctor isn't purposely messing things up or perscribing something that would react dangerously.  

I was once in the position of having 2 nearly identical looking medicines, except that one was for ADHD and the other was for insomnia.  One major screwup later, my doctor changed the color of one of the pills so that I could tell them apart.  So no, I dont think your doctor would do that.

No, they're not allowed to do that. By the way, placebos (sugar pills) actually do work for a lot of people with all kinds of conditions, that doesn't mean that they weren't sick so I doubt any doctor would go that route to convince someone they're not sick ;-) 

Absolutely not. That would be illegal. They could both lose their licenses.  Give it Time. They take a while to work and the first medication may not be the right one for you. Don’t give up. :Coopwink:

I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Some of them can take 2-3 weeks to start working and some might not work at all with your body chemistry. It's definitely trial and error to find the right medication which is unfortunate, but eventually you will get there and who knows, this might be the right one that is just taking some time to start working for you :)

no. although there has been a lot of research which suggests for several forms of depression, placebos worked just as well as the actual medicine. 

I believe it is not considered correct or ethical in general practice and only used for drug trials. From what I have learned in psychology some trials actually reject some patients they consider high risk as well.