Sign in to follow this  
Tstiefler

DESPERATE... I Feel Hopeless Because Nothing Has Worked

Hey everyone. I'll just get right to it.

I've been struggling with depression/anxiety since I was 13. I'm 28 now. For the last decade I've been actively trying to find a solution, without much progress. Here is what I've tried during that time:

Ayahuasca, The Hoffman Process, Neurofeedback therapy for 3 years, Traumatic Brain Injury analysis, Hormonal therapy based on blood tests (vitamins, homeopathics), Mindfulness/meditation for 1 year, Analysis for 1 year, regular therapy for 3 years, regular therapy for 2 years with another psych, psychiatrists on and off throughout prescribing the following medications - prozac, zoloft, effexor, lexapro, citalopram, abilify, klonopin, wellbutrin, lamictal...

What do I do? How do you continue to have hope? How can people tell me that it gets better?

My goodness that must be rough.  My heart goes out to you for hanging in there for so long.  Have you tried animal therapy?  I believe there's some research that shows that petting an animal raises dopamine levels in both you and the animal being petted, so you might want to give that a try.  Also, have you tried diet changes?  Again, there's some evidence that that should help.  Plus food (for humans or pets) is cheaper than medicications.  As for having hope, keep trying different things until you find what works.  Thomas edison tried hundreds of times to perfect the electric light, and when he finally succeeded, was hounded by the companies that made gas lights.  He broke through, and you can as well.

I'm in the same boat. I posted not too long ago about the same situation.. 

I wish I had an answer I could say I had for you. I'm sorry I don't.

Just passing a long what someone has done for me, and letting you know your not alone.. In right there in that hole of hoplessness and fear of never figuring it out.. I can say, I've narrowed it down to deep seeded beliefs that are either made up, or twisted so far around my neck that I can't see anything different. No matter how hard I try.

Been thinking about aciid lol. Or some other mind opening drug, that I haven't tri3d that may help me see things in a different light. I'm an addict as well but its out of desperation, I don't know what else to do besides either quit or just cause hell. I can't do either, so I just sit.

Let me know if you figure it out, ill let you know as well!

Thanks. I'm out of ideas. It doesn't feel like animal therapy would do much, but I appreciate the suggestion. Wish I could find someone in my position who's still alive that's gotten through it...

Hi,

I've learned a lot about different personality types and thus people having different approaches at things.

It sounds l like you are taking a very analytical and process oriented approach to all of this, and I imagine you've learned different strategies, pros and cons for them.

However, what I've learned is that it isn't always as black and white as being cured or better or happy.

What helps is finding out what is authentic to you. What do you deep down feel like is working? When are you trying too hard?

I honestly feel like a big problem a lot of us probably have is trying (too hard) to get better. In my experience the answer often lies with being a good sport about life. Admitting when it has you down, heck even feeling sad is better than pretending to be happy.

However, if there is any moment, especially with people, where you can have a positive or helpful influence, even just by being friendly to the grocery store clerk, it can help make your world a better place

Edited by zzzsheepyzzz

On 12/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, Tstiefler said:
Advertisement
T

Dear Tstiefler, 
I'm so sorry you're going through all this. I know it can be difficult to manage. 
I had struggled with anxiety depression for a long time and I found a combination of therapy and pastoral counseling to be really helpful and now I seem to have more good days than bad. Hang on, there is hope! You're doing such a great job staying strong :)