Sign in to follow this  
chumly

obsessed with a picture rating site

i suffer from OCD and I recently was referred by a helpful member on here to a picture rating site since I get confused as to which pics are best for me to use on a dating site but unfortunately I have become obsessed with the site. Some of my pics do well sometimes then other times they dont. Most of the time they dont do so good and I feel awful about myself so I will edit the pic a bit to see if i can get better scores. I seem to be more obsessed with this now then even chatting with nice men that are trying to talk to me on the dating sites or anything else.

Sadly I have become completely obsessed with the site and it feeds into my OCD. I feel great when I score well but get into a terrible sad depression when I score low. My self esteem has been hit hard by the low scores and for some reason I cant seem to pull away from the site.I guess I am just trying to find a way to get validation and feel good about myself.

I have been on there for probably over 5 hours tonight. I am finally going to pull myself away to take a shower but i thought it might help to post on here. I feel awful and ugly about myself and I am not sure if posting on here will help but it is worth a try.

Thanks for listening! 

PS..the worst part is that there are things I should be doing with my life in regards to finding a new job and even people that want to meet me from the dating sites and exercising but I am so obsessed with this site that i have been neglecting all of it in hopes of getting good ratings on the site!!  my ocd has totally taken over this situation!!! I know I need help!!

Edited by chumly

Don't worry. I spend a lot of time on a poetry forum. And Im not sure exactly what you are posting. But to me it is a form of art.  And if you want a good rating, so do I. I do not believe there are too many wrong answers to mental illness, as far as healthy decisions go. Whatever you can do battle it I am all for. But I have no input om the ocd. I am like the opposite of ocd, i just dont care. Anyways dont be too hard on yourself, I can dig it.

6 hours ago, chumly said:
Advertisement

i suffer from OCD and I recently was referred by a helpful member on here to a picture rating site since I get confused as to which pics are best for me to use on a dating site but unfortunately I have become obsessed with the site. Some of my pics do well sometimes then other times they dont. Most of the time they dont do so good and I feel awful about myself so I will edit the pic a bit to see if i can get better scores. I seem to be more obsessed with this now then even chatting with nice men that are trying to talk to me on the dating sites or anything else.

Sadly I have become completely obsessed with the site and it feeds into my OCD. I feel great when I score well but get into a terrible sad depression when I score low. My self esteem has been hit hard by the low scores and for some reason I cant seem to pull away from the site.I guess I am just trying to find a way to get validation and feel good about myself.

I have been on there for probably over 5 hours tonight. I am finally going to pull myself away to take a shower but i thought it might help to post on here. I feel awful and ugly about myself and I am not sure if posting on here will help but it is worth a try.

Thanks for listening! 

PS..the worst part is that there are things I should be doing with my life in regards to finding a new job and even people that want to meet me from the dating sites and exercising but I am so obsessed with this site that i have been neglecting all of it in hopes of getting good ratings on the site!!  my ocd has totally taken over this situation!!! I know I need help!!

Chumly, do you see a pattern here?   I mean, not just this post but your others.   You're constantly looking for affirmation from strangers and put yourself in a position where you will be subject to criticism.   A picture rating site is probably the worst place for you to be spending your time.   Even if you looked like a supermodel and received 100 perfect ratings, a few people are going to say something nasty or negative and those will be the responses you obsess over.   How can you possibly come out ahead in this type of situation?   Why do this to yourself?   It's a form of masochism.   You don't/shouldn't need other people's opinion to verify your own self-worth.  We keep coming back to this theme and it's clearly something you need to work on desperately.   

I'm sorry this is happening to you, Chumly.  OCD is a devastating illness.  My father had it and I think I have it a little too.  My heart goes out to you!!!! -  epictetus

Hi,

you asked for help, and I have found myself in similar situations before.

Remember that you started to use this picture rating site because you wanted to improve your dating profile. That reason by itself has merit. However, it seems that your OCD has taken over and it has become more about "winning" the picture rating site.

Ask yourself what it is you really want? You mentioned dating, and you mentioned exercising, meeting people and finding a job.

For whatever reason it sounds like the simplicity and accessibility of the picture rating site is acting as a massive distraction to you

Anyways, I can tell you that the way you spend your time in the day will reflect on both the inner and the outer you. When you begin to do productive things that don't lead your mind into a frenzy you will likely calm down and get back to reality. I'll let you in on a secret and that was that I used to be obsessed with liking Taylor Swift.

In the end what helped me was avoiding Taylor Swift articles and pictures of her.

I think that the first step is to stop going on this picture rating site and realizing that, to you, it is exercising addictive behavior and exasperating your OCD.

hope things look up

Edited by zzzsheepyzzz

9 hours ago, chumly said:
Advertisement

Thanks for listening! 

Chumly,

You're such a sweet lovely person, why treat yourself this way?  If you put up the most beautiful picture of yourself - let's say it gets a 10 (the so-called highest number in the looks deptmnt), I've learned someone else will always come around and say you're a 5 or 6.  Or, if you are the most beautiful, then someone comes around who is physically considered more beautiful.  This is a race that cannot be won, by anybody.  Maybe because nobody is supposed to win. 

Trying to get validated online has to be nauseating.  Are you talking to a therapist, this would be very helpful.  In my humble opinion.

You deserve better, you deserve more, you deserve kindness but this has to start with YOU being kind to YOU.   :hugs:

20 minutes ago, zenzang said:

I surely hope you don't mean this in a mean spirited way.  I'm sure the OP is here for help and understanding.

Thank you Zenzang for your post.  Indeed, people are on here for help and understanding.

thank you for the reminder however it was not stated by me in any intention to be mean spirited.

it was asked in a way that was fueled with some intensity because I want one single answer!!

and someone HERE knows it. it was desperation.

is there a time that we remind people of joy and possibility-

over an over?

thanks everyone for the helpful posts!! i am sorry ..i have not been on here for a while ..thankfully shortly after i posted this i discussed things with the helpful member on here that told me about the site and i started viewing the pic rating site in a more realisitic way. ..so thankfully between the advice the member gave me and a few other things ..i now feel quite a bit better since I posted this and have even been able to tear myself away from the site and focused on the other things in my life that i was neglecting..and therefore became super busy but for good things..not bad (like the pic rating site).

Thanks again everyone for taking the time out to help another human being! it is all such terrific advice. 

I am going to look into online therapy. I think it may be of help to me!!

Thanks again everyone!!:grinning:

On 12/2/2017 at 0:23 PM, bristlecone said:

thank you for the reminder however it was not stated by me in any intention to be mean spirited.

it was asked in a way that was fueled with some intensity because I want one single answer!!

and someone HERE knows it. it was desperation.

is there a time that we remind people of joy and possibility-

over an over?

That's good, we just have to be cautious, that's all.

- KS