Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

Donate Now   11/12/2017

Depression Forums has no real advertising help and no corporate sponsors. We depend on the support from our readers and especially our members. Your Donations would help DF to continue to stay on the internet and is greatly appreciated. Give the gift that keeps on giving. Donate Now  
Kelly21Techie

Completely new to this, but hello!

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

I recently graduated from college, moved to a new city to start a job in my field of study. I have my own apartment and am able to support myself financially. By all means, I should be in the best place...emotionally speaking.  However, I have spent the past few days spontaneously crying and having panic attacks. I am at a complete loss and a friend recommended that I look into online forums so here I am. 

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Hi and welcome to the Forums Kelly21Technie!

I am sorry that you have been stricken with panic attacks and spontaneous crying.  Sounds scary and awful.  Although none of us here on the Forums are physicians or medical professionals, hopefully you will find this site to be of some help you.  We are all fellow sufferers here of anxiety, depression and other illnesses.  I myself suffer from general anxiety disorder and panic attacks.  Panic attacks are really unpleasant and scary . . . .  to put it mildly.  So my heart goes out to you. 

Are you in the care of a good physician?  Sometimes panic attacks and spontaneous crying can have an organic component that only a physician can diagnose, treat or rule out as causal.   I wish I knew what to say to be helpful to you.  These Forums did not exist when I had my first panic attacks and so I was just completely alone with my suffering.  Hopefully we can offer you understanding and compassion, encouragement and consolation.  It is difficult for those who are not afflicted with these illnesses to really understand how devastating they can be.

I am currently receiving medical treatment for my anxiety and panic disorder and have had some cognitive therapy which taught me some coping skills for dealing with panic crises.  I was taught some techniques for dealing with panic attacks when I am alone and other techniques for dealing with them when I am with others or in public.  Splashing ice cold water on my face helps sometimes.  Vigorously punching a pillow helps when I am alone. 

I carry a "panic attack" card with me at all times.  I read it during a panic attacks if I am able to.  On it is written:  "You are having a panic attack.  You are not in any real danger although all the signals you are receiving from your body are telling you that you are in danger. The limbic system of your brain is malfunctioning and overriding the calming effects of your cerebral cortex.  But it is a false alarm.  You are not really in any danger of dying or going crazy.  This will pass.  It is a false alarm.  Parts of the limbic system in your brain are sending you fight, flight, freeze or faint signals as though you are in  life or death danger.  You are not in life or death danger.  This will pass. Use your coping techniques to hang on until this passes. You are going to be okay."

These are things that help me.  I don't know if they would help you or others.  Like I said, I am not a doctor or medical professional of ANY kind.  I can only share what helps me.  Hopefully others will share what helps them. 

Please accept my apologies if my words are useless or worse than useless.  It is so hard to know what to say to someone sometimes.  I was given two medications for my anxiety.  One is called Celexa and reduced the frequency and intensity of panic attacks.  The other is called Clonazepam and is for overwhelming panic attacks that do not respond to any coping techniques.  I rarely need the Clonazepam since the Celexa and the techniques I've learned are enough.  Since I am not a physician, I am not qualified to recommend any treatments.  Please see a doctor for those.  He or she will be a professional, with experience and training and will have your entire medical history and the ability to do tests.  Your health is too important to trust to anyone accept a physician or qualified psychologist. 

Please lean on us here for moral support.  That is why we are here.  I have been helped many times by the caring and concern of members here.  Once again I want to welcome you.  I hope your suffering will be cured and you will be able to experience peace and mind and the joy of life again.  Best to you.

- epictetus

Edited by Epictetus

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Hello, nice to meet you!  I'm fairly new to the idea of message boards also.  Hopefully it works out for the both of us.

First, I noticed you said that you just moved to a new place and started your career.  Those are both very big changes!  I agree with your friend who suggested online forums, but are you seeing a therapist?  If not, would you consider it?  It may be helpful to talk to someone outside of your family/friend circle.

Also I wanted to say that I'm sorry that you have been experiencing panic attacks - I am a long time sufferer of them and they are truly awful.  One thing I have found that can help sometimes (at least for me) has been this gif: [Google Search: imgur huou7gh gif]. If you watch this and try to sync your breathing to it, it can serve as both a distraction and a tool to calm yourself down.  I hope it helps!

Anyway, welcome to the forums.  I sincerely hope things get better!

-hyperxviolet

Edited by KidSurvivor2011
Links to external sites not allowed. Google search term added instead.

Posted · Report post  

Hello! 

I have been under the treatment of doctors and counselors for a couple of years now. Those were mainly based out of my college though so since graduating I've had to rely on coping techniques that I was taught and old prescriptions that my general doctor has just been refilling. That all gets so much more complicated when I move over an hour away from that doctor and run out of prescriptions. 

Epictetus - Thank you for your kind words, they are definitely not useless. I reached out to a counselor(therapist) in my new city and will hopefully have an appointment in the coming week. I am also on clonazepam for my panic attacks. I've found that it's only a temporary fix, it helps me for about an hour and then I'm prone to more panic attacks. Is it the same for you? 

Hyperxviolet - It's nice to meet you too! I am very familiar with that gif, many friends and family members have sent it to me. Whenever I'm in the middle of a panic attack it's nearly impossible to remember all of the coping/breathing skills that I've learned.  It's nice to be reminded of it because I have in the past found it useful. I hope things get better for you too.

_Kelly21Techie :)