Sign in to follow this  
Burgy

Sweating Like A Farm Animal

I had unforgiving night sweats on Celexa (and I'm only a 30 something female -- too young for the "change"!). I was on it for two years. I noticed it mostly in the second year -- oddly enough. I'm building up on Lex now. Fortunately, no HUGE sweating -- yet. Glad it's Fall and cooler for those of you struggling with the BIG TIME SWEATS. I wish the best for you guys.... (That it subsides and leaves you alone!)

Celexa has been pretty good to me, but it makes me so HOT! The sweating isn't terrible at this point, but now, even in winter I'm in a tank top, not using the heat, and even have the windows open! I live in the Bay Area, so the winter is a lot different than in most places, but it's still just so uncomfortable! My live-in boyfriend is not happy about it. I feel like I'm in early menopause.

I have been kicking the quilt off in the night trying to cool down. I also get hot sweats during the day but i just accept it is a side effect now. It's like returning to the menopause!

I don't know about the profuse sweating, for I have not noted that in myself. However, I can comment on an increased thirst, that at times was seemingly insatiable, and my general increased thirst nowadays - I drink more before I feel content (e.g. 1 litre per sitting).

I am not aware of sweating as being a known, common or significant complication of SSRIs. It's interesting though.

R.

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here. I just started Lexapro 10mg (taken before bed) exactly 2 weeks ago and last night i couldnt sleep because I was drenched in sweat. It's just from my waist down. I get heat waves throughout the day and I sweat MUCH MUCH easier when doing any activity, especially when it's warm out.

I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks from loss of appetite and sweating profusely, but last night was the first night that it truly started to effect my quality of life. I called out of work for the 2nd time in 2 weeks due to me not being able to sleep one single wink due to sweating. I would sweat, kick the blanket off and cool down by way of the fan i have on all night, get the chills, put the blanket back on and sweat again. It's a vicious cycle!

I want this to work so bad but I can NOT afford to not sleep as this is the #1 cause of my anxiety (sleep deprivation).

I know plenty of people on Lex have been plagued with increased sweating, but I would REALLY like to know if anyone has experienced a decrease after time? This, to me, is an intolerable side effect if it doesnt decrease..

please...anyone.. some hope?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

phorts -- :hearts:

I have some occasional *light* night sweats with Lexapro from time to time, but nothing like I experienced with Celexa. (With Celexa, I recall waking in the night with a soaked pajama top -- many, many, many times.) I understand your frustration, phorts!

As I think back, I remember a period of time during my first month of Lexapro where I noticed lots of thermal-type, bodily temperature fluctations during the day hours -- where I'd be hot and sweaty one minute and then freezing with chills the next. During that same period, my sleep at night was rough with lots of tossing and turning and noticeable, "harder" sweating. But once I became fully adjusted to Lex, I began sleeping more soundly (without the Ambien I had been relying on for several months!) and the harder night sweats lessened in intensity. I only occasionally awaken now from light sweating.

At the two week point, you're likely still emerging from the hardest stretch of side effects, phorts! Keep on keepin' on and wait to re-evaluate when you've had sufficient time to acclimate (around 6-8 weeks). SEs can really rot, but you may find yourself free of the aggrivating night sweats when you're adjusted. (I sincerely hope so!)

Best,

HopefulOne

phorts -- :hearts:

I have some occasional *light* night sweats with Lexapro from time to time, but nothing like I experienced with Celexa. (With Celexa, I recall waking in the night with a soaked pajama top -- many, many, many times.) I understand your frustration, phorts!

As I think back, I remember a period of time during my first month of Lexapro where I noticed lots of thermal-type, bodily temperature fluctations during the day hours -- where I'd be hot and sweaty one minute and then freezing with chills the next. During that same period, my sleep at night was rough with lots of tossing and turning and noticeable, "harder" sweating. But once I became fully adjusted to Lex, I began sleeping more soundly (without the Ambien I had been relying on for several months!) and the harder night sweats lessened in intensity. I only occasionally awaken now from light sweating.

At the two week point, you're likely still emerging from the hardest stretch of side effects, phorts! Keep on keepin' on and wait to re-evaluate when you've had sufficient time to acclimate (around 6-8 weeks). SEs can really rot, but you may find yourself free of the aggrivating night sweats when you're adjusted. (I sincerely hope so!)

Best,

HopefulOne

HopefulOne,

I can't tell you how much your posts have helped me through this very difficult time in my life. I made a post dedicated just to thanking you, "To Hopeful One" that I hope you have read... Only it only begins to speak how thankful I am for your support and selfless contribution to this forum. Thank you. Thank you to you and to the other people who take the time to respond to the many people here even after you've found releif... you give us the gift of hope.

Ok, so your experience with the sweating and body temperature fluctuations is exactly how i'm feeling. I truly hope that my SE's follow the path they took with you and subside quickly and permanently. So far most all of my more crippling SE's have subsided (heavy chest, lump in throat, major anxiety in AM, naseau, dizziness, etc..) The sweating continues and general fatigue, brain foginess, general anxiety and others still plague me...

Thanks for the positive outlook on the future... i also hope this goes away quickly..

thank you

I had temperature fluctuations the first 3 weeks I was on Lexapro (especially during the day). Never full blown night sweats, but I've never been that sweaty of a person. I recently switched to taking the Lexapro before bedtime, and those fluctuations went away during the day. However, this also corresponded with me finishing up the first month on Lexapro, so I'm probably nearing the end of the side effects anyway.

Stick with it! I'm taking Lexapro for anxiety, and even after only 4 weeks, I've noticed a HUGE difference. I haven't had to take Ativan or anything like that for over 10 days, and I'm sleeping well finally.

I had temperature fluctuations the first 3 weeks I was on Lexapro (especially during the day). Never full blown night sweats, but I've never been that sweaty of a person. I recently switched to taking the Lexapro before bedtime, and those fluctuations went away during the day. However, this also corresponded with me finishing up the first month on Lexapro, so I'm probably nearing the end of the side effects anyway.

Stick with it! I'm taking Lexapro for anxiety, and even after only 4 weeks, I've noticed a HUGE difference. I haven't had to take Ativan or anything like that for over 10 days, and I'm sleeping well finally.

Thanks James. I ended up taking an ambien last night around 1 (bed at 11) because I just couldnt fall asleep. No sweating though so i'm very thankful for that. I did wake up in the middle of the night with some light sweating but it quickly went away and I was back to sleep. Hopefully this trend of decreasing sweating and anxiety will increase. I would've figured after not sleeping the night before that i'd be pretty good to go last night.... but after the clocked ticked 1 I was all set with waiting it out any longer.

Feeling "better" today... come on light... I can see you!

I can't tell you how much your posts have helped me through this very difficult time in my life. I made a post dedicated just to thanking you, "To Hopeful One" that I hope you have read... Only it only begins to speak how thankful I am for your support and selfless contribution to this forum. Thank you. Thank you to you and to the other people who take the time to respond to the many people here even after you've found releif... you give us the gift of hope.

Ok, so your experience with the sweating and body temperature fluctuations is exactly how i'm feeling. I truly hope that my SE's follow the path they took with you and subside quickly and permanently. So far most all of my more crippling SE's have subsided (heavy chest, lump in throat, major anxiety in AM, naseau, dizziness, etc..) The sweating continues and general fatigue, brain foginess, general anxiety and others still plague me...

Thanks for the positive outlook on the future... i also hope this goes away quickly..

thank you

phorts :hearts:

Give yourself some BIG credit for weathering the first couple weeks of SEs. The hardest part is over, phorts. I know you're undergoing a lot of personal transition in your life currently and feeling so sick with SEs can only add to the existing heap of stress. But from here out, it just gets better. I had lingering anxiety symptoms for several weeks of my adjustment period, but they progressively faded and disappeared. Each day became more and more manageable for me and should for you too. Personally celebrate the subtle signs of good progress you see every day and draw encouragement from those. They pull you though it. Hang in there. The fogginess and fatigue should dissipate with time too.

Give yourself some grace to feel unwell for just a bit longer -- b/c it's only temporary. You deserve the best of you and so do the people who love you. You'll get there. Take care of you, k?

Best,

HopefulOne

Heya, I have been on Celexa now for 6 months, and have recently increased from 10gm to 20gm...and with it a shocking dose of the night sweats, changing clothes at least 4 times a night, and switching under and over duvet and from one side to the bed to the other...it is no joke. Very happy with the the increase but these night sweats are just becoming too unbearable.

Just wondering if anyone has found any method of coping with 'sweating like a farm animal', i.e cooling pajamas, cooling sheets, any wee tips at all would be greatly welcome?? 

Many Thanks,

Sweaty Betty.