Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Sign in to follow this  
captain_right

Dose keeps on increasing

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

9months ago I started with dose of 20mg, the dose increased to 30 after 5months and currently i'm taking dose for 40mg. I'm worried with this increase in dose. Though lots of symptoms seems to have gone I still struggle with few symptoms like of anxiety.

I 've been trying really hard to socialize and be as normal as possible. I do go out with friends. And since most of them are into smoking and drinking I'm too dragged into this habit. I tried but couldn't get rid of these habits.

I get worried about having hooked to med forever

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Hi and welcome to the Forums Captain_right!

Nice to meet you.  I like your screen name.. Its' cool

I'm so sorry you are struggling.  I wish I knew what to say to help.  I am 62 years old and on continuous antidepressant medication therapy.  The way the psychiatrist explained it to me was that my clinical depression is a brain disorder like epilepsy or Parkinson's disease and therefore requires lifetime medical treatment.  Of course I suffer extreme depression and I am unaware of the situation you are in.  There are so many kinds and intensities of depression.  What is appropriate for one of us might not be right for someone else.  In any case, I hope you will find this site helpful to you.  None of us are physicians or medical professionals, but we do try to help each other as fellow-sufferers.  I regret that I could not be more helpful to you.  Hopefully others here will make up for the poverty of my own response to your plight.  I am so sorry that you are suffering!!!!  - epictetus

Posted · Report post  

3 hours ago, captain_right said:

I get worried about having hooked to med forever

Antidepressants are maintenance drugs so there is the possibility that you'll have to take it forever if it's not just a single episode. The question is, why would you feel bad about it? What makes antidepressants so much worse in people's minds' than taking maintenance drugs for blood pressure or cholesterol? If it helps it helps, that's all that really matters.

Can I ask which medication you are taking? It may help you get more valuable feedback about other users' experience with the same drug and what dose worked for them. 

One thing to keep in mind is that antidepressants and alcohol really don't mix, while it's unlikely that anything bad will happen you kinda negate whatever positive effects you got since alcohol is a powerful depressant even if it lifts your mood temporarily while drinking. 

Posted · Report post  

thanks for the reply. I'm on Fluoxetine. I'm not comfortable around the stigma of having a mental disease - in my case anti-depressant. I'm not sure if I told my employer i'm taking anti-depressant they will most like not hire me. If i tell my future life partner i'm taking med or depression they will probably not feel comfortable. 

Having heard the news of recent suicide of celebrities who have been in medication makes me uncomfortable - it makes me think may be, eventually i will be on same path.

I'm nor sure if this depression is clinical or trauma related. Though I didn't have the best childhood I think I wasn't depressed during my teen & early 20s. I'm mid 20s.

Posted · Report post  

Hi. I'm on Prozac and I'm on 80  mgs. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's working for you some, it's a good thing. I have OCD in addition to major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, some kind of mood disorder, and stress. I'm on a couple of other meds in addition to it, but it's done wonders for me. When you look at the suicides, there are some that may be related to the drugs, but I would also look at the fact that people go on drugs because of depression among other reasons. 

Honestly, I have had an uncle commit suicide who didn't take anti-depressants and didn't want anyone to know he was mentally ill. I don't think that you have to let your employer know. The only employer I ever had to let know that the meds I was taking was when I worked at a prison and I'm pretty sure that was because they wanted us very alert at work and wanted to make sure we weren't sneaking meds in to the inmates. Other than that, I'm not sure your employer has a right to ask or that you are obligated to tell them. 

As far as future life partner, that part is up to them. Unfortunately, you can't know about them. I wouldn't tell them too early, though. I would wait until they get to know you the person and then after that let them know that you take medication for some issues that happen to deal with mental issues. Then, be completely honest about what they are. The only person that has really had a problem with me taking them, however, was my dad who is head of mission for  a Southern Baptist region. But he has finally reached a point that he accepts that they are needed. He doesn't like it, but he accepts it. If someone loves you, once you tell them after they get to know you, they will understand as well. 

However, I look at my medicine as a tool. I also feel that I need therapy as well. I don't think at all that my mental issues are complete without that. They work hand in hand. 

I hope this helps.