Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Jtttey

Should I quit as my job triggers my depression

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

I’m a professional working in the banking industry earning good money. But I Have pretty bad times in the last three years. Changed job about 18 months ago only to realise the boss who hired me left after 9 months. My role has been keep changing in the past three years and I simply couldn’t cope with the consistent changes in my job responsibilities. In my job, it takes time to build competitive edge in one field but my job scope has been constantly changing every few months in the last three years. 

I do not seek a future here but could not bear with the idea of quitting a high pay job. What should I do? Quit or don’t quit?

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Tough call. I know it's hard to get used to lower income, I make a fraction of what I used to make and it's certainly challenging...

Benefit to quitting now is that you're still somewhat in control, if the job's wearing you out then you risk having a complete burn-out which can leave you unable to work for a while. Never thought it was possible but I had it happen, my depression got so bad that I literally couldn't do anything other than stay in bed and on top of that I ended up getting absolutely debilitating anxiety with daily panic attacks. Before that I worked my ass off struggling to keep my income at the same level just to end up losing literally everything after a couple of years. 

Only you can tell how close you are to reaching your limit but the fact that you're posting here makes me think you're getting close to it, be careful and take care of your mental health. Maybe try living on less for the next few months so you'll have some savings and are used to it and then you can comfortably look for more enjoyable work.

Posted · Report post  

Hello there. I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. I can relate all too well.

It is a tough call. I will tell you that I have quit jobs outright without having another one lined up, and each time it put me into a very financially stressful place whereby then I did not have any real options available (or choices) for the next job I took because I just needed anything to meet my expenses. It was far too stressful to quit without having a job lined up. People always say it's best to have a job while you are looking for a job, and I believe that to be true. Employers also will ask why you had to quit your last job.

To avoid that kind of stress, the ideal scenario is to obtain a new job while you still have a job, then leave. So I would advise that you start looking and interviewing while you are in your current role. Then you can also have more choices available to you with the next job you take. You can contact recruiters and staffing agencies who will look on your behalf and will call you with opportunities. You can update your LinkedIn profile and let recruiters there know that you are looking. If you do not have a profile on there yet, I highly recommend it.

I have found that when I start looking for a job, it energizes me and gets me more enthused. With one foot out the door, you feel there is greater hope, and you've already sort of "left" the current role in your mind. It also sounds like you just need a more stable and predictable work environment, so when you interview, you can ask certain questions to get a sense of the work environment you'll be in.

Wish you all the best of luck and I hope this helps a little. ((((Hugs)))))

Posted · Report post  

I think you answered your own question, and need to start laying plans for a new job. I would start by exploring whether you can get the same job with similar pay somewhere else. If the answer is yes, start putting in applications. If the answer is no, start deciding whether you want to (and whether you realistically could) take a similar job for less pay and adapt to it or find a different job or career path which could pay less or more. I would not delay, as your current job may become unbearable and you are forced to choose a new job only because it is available.

Posted · Report post  

Bad job do give me feel of guilt and worthless ness. i have left jobs with in month or less. This actually kicked my esteem harder tan doing the job. I'm still into job I like. I'm in med and it does help shield negative thoughts.

If you do that work you like you are less like to see it as a job.

Posted · Report post  

Can't you discuss with your supervisor that you don't want this constant change? If that's the problem, why not tackle that rather quitting your job. I also had many (crappy) different jobs in a short time period and it doesn't look good on your resumé nor did it do any good to my confidence. I'd tackle the problem at it's root if I were you, and if the change in role is your only problem, heck I wouldn't walk away from such a dignifying and highpaying job. Also, if you quit now, you might have problems getting a new job unless well prepared. But again, I'd talk with your supervisor about the issue and tell you need a consistent role or you might burn out, no one wants that (or at least, here in my country, boss/company will have to pay for your benefit for many many months).

Posted · Report post  

Thank you all for our replies. 

I had taken 2 weeks leave of absence in late Sept hoping that my condition would get better. However, the sheer amount of works and the continuous toxic working environment really make me sick. I've been considering quitting outright without a job lining up for months but i couldn't make that faithful decision because i know life will be difficult without a job albeit i have enough saving with no liabilities. 

What i am considering is whether i will gain more from quitting outright to regain my health or i will be better off to receive my monthly paycheck while suffering my everyday life. It's really a tough decision to call. 

Been looking for jobs for a few months but i haven't found any suitable one with similar pay. This also increases my stress level as times goes by while i continue to do something that i don't like. 

Posted · Report post  

Sounds like we are in similar situations.  I am a professional and make good money but hate my job.  I have been at this same job almost 5 years.  The difference though is I have a longer term plan I am working towards, so this job is just a paycheck to me.  I have noticed some people I work with who get way more stressed/depressed over their career/jobs than me because they have so little control over it.  But there's only so much control you can have over your career or your job if you work for someone else, that's just the way it is.  The sooner people can accept that, the sooner they can be released of the baggage that comes with the illusion that you do have any control over it.  The bottom line is I am there for the money, that's the only reason I am there.  So I am going to get it while the getting is good.

Do you have a longer term plan?   I live way below my means, avoid debt, and save every dime I can because my goal is to be financially independent enough through real estate investments.  In the future I will still need to work, but I can be very choosy about what I do because I will still have rental income coming in.   If you make good money, maybe you should take advantage of it?  Not everyone has the opportunity to make good money so if you have it, think about all the options that gives you.  The way I see it, I could be miserable making minimum wage, or I can be miserable making six figures, but with the option of putting myself in a better position in the future.  I will take Option B.

Posted · Report post  

Not sure I've got any good advice for you, but just chiming in to say you're not alone!

I'm in a similar situation, looking for a new job while working in the one that I hate.  It's always hard to know what to do, and job searching itself is a hellish time.

Like I said, no great advice, but lots of good luck wishes!

Posted · Report post  

I worked in banking for 12 years. Very successful but there were red flags in my condition that i pretty much ignored. It didnt go unnoticed by management and i had a hard time with other staff members.

The last bank i worked for was 9 months and i had a horrible boss. Screwed me right up and BPD was getting worse.

I eventually quit and collected unemployment in the meantime until i finally decided to work for myself. I dont make very much but im happier in what i am doing. 

But...it didnt help my mental health situation much. In fact as i age it gets worse. I do have some relief as there is far less pressure but im still very screwed up.

You might have a better result though. Everyone is different.

I hope you find the right thing for you.

Posted · Report post  

I've actually been contemplating this myself recently. I have been diagnosed with anxiety, PTSD and depression. I retired from the military and started a new job that I loved. I got promoted and it was great at first. Now I'm always on edge, feeling like I'm constantly waiting to be fired or that I'm innadaquate in my position. I can't sleep at night due to always feeling this way. I feel like I've failed due to my inability to handle the added responsibility of my position. I've never backed down from anything before. And I have always loved by the mantra "Nothing worth having is easy. But, my anxiety from my job is having not only emotional effects but physical as well. Loss of sleep and hunger. I'm great on Friday afternoon and Saturday, but when Sunday hits the I'm shot. I'm at my wits end. I want to put in my notice but I'm afraid to let those who work under me down and most importantly my family. Which obviously increases my issue. I'm new to this forum but I am not new to anxiety and depression. I thought I had myself in control but it's slipping and what I have narrowed it down to is my job. It's an amazing job, but it's breaking me down. 

Posted · Report post  

On 30/10/2017 at 9:44 PM, FeelingLost1 said:

I've actually been contemplating this myself recently. I have been diagnosed with anxiety, PTSD and depression. I retired from the military and started a new job that I loved. I got promoted and it was great at first. Now I'm always on edge, feeling like I'm constantly waiting to be fired or that I'm innadaquate in my position. I can't sleep at night due to always feeling this way. I feel like I've failed due to my inability to handle the added responsibility of my position. I've never backed down from anything before. And I have always loved by the mantra "Nothing worth having is easy. But, my anxiety from my job is having not only emotional effects but physical as well. Loss of sleep and hunger. I'm great on Friday afternoon and Saturday, but when Sunday hits the I'm shot. I'm at my wits end. I want to put in my notice but I'm afraid to let those who work under me down and most importantly my family. Which obviously increases my issue. I'm new to this forum but I am not new to anxiety and depression. I thought I had myself in control but it's slipping and what I have narrowed it down to is my job. It's an amazing job, but it's breaking me down. 

Thanks for sharing. After considering an exit for months, I am still stuck. Hope we Can find a resolution to this dilemma ASAP and out of our pain.

Posted · Report post  

I wrote my letter of resignation without a date. I showed it to my wife and I don' feel like she supports my decision. Told me that I dealt with tougher situations in the military and maybe I should go back to counseling. I want to quit my job tomorrow but I can' walk away like that. I want to turn in my letter and get ready to start over but, I'm seriously scared to do so now. 

Posted (edited) · Report post  

On 10/20/2017 at 0:56 AM, Jtttey said:
Advertisement

I’m a professional working in the banking industry earning good money. But I Have pretty bad times in the last three years. Changed job about 18 months ago only to realise the boss who hired me left after 9 months. My role has been keep changing in the past three years and I simply couldn’t cope with the consistent changes in my job responsibilities. In my job, it takes time to build competitive edge in one field but my job scope has been constantly changing every few months in the last three years. 

I do not seek a future here but could not bear with the idea of quitting a high pay job. What should I do? Quit or don’t quit?

Don't quit. High pay is a good perk and at the end of the day money is the reason most of us go to work. If you are determined to quit, make sure you have something else lined up first. Apply to equally lucrative jobs you might enjoy more and I'd you get hired by one give your two weeks notice. As someone struggling to find a job that ain't retail belief me, job hunting is super stressful and harder when you're unemployed. Being employed looks better, so my advice is try r find another job then quit,but don't just quit altogether especially Jr the money is good.

Edited by Chubbybunny89

Posted (edited) · Report post  

9 hours ago, Chubbybunny89 said:

Being employed looks better, so my advice is try r find another job then quit,but don't just quit altogether especially Jr the money is good.

This is where self-employment can come in handy. Many people will go as far as incorporating a business so they have something to fall back on (consulting work) and to fill employment gaps. Only costs a few hundred bucks to start an LLC which you more than make back in tax-savings and that way it looks legit if HR decides to check... Of course it also depends on the field you're in, some fields obviously aren't suitable for self-employment. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner

Posted · Report post  

Well, I finally lost my own war with the black dog. Finally snapped. No need to think that I could continue my work. Now completely lost but have to figure out a way to recover.